Options

Paying for 10mb getting 0.3!

OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
Forum Member
Been with VM for 8-9 years and no problem until last few weeks. First noticed when trying to watch a vid on you tube - only get a 1-2 seconds and then it buffers - takes 20-30 mins to download a 6 minute clip?:eek:

Doen a few broadband speed tests and consistently getting 0.3mb download and 0.4 upload speeds! That's on the PC, slightly less on my laptop via the router.

Rang them - they say wireless router at fault (linksys) and send me one of theirs (D link).

Now - got friend to help as I am tech illiterate but the new router keeps insisting that the internet cable is unplugged and will not set up (it isn't). My internet will only work if the linksys router is connected to the cable modem and then the PC.

Basically - the ethernet cable when connected directly (bypassing the router) from the VM cable modem to my PC, laptop or friend's laptop does not provide any internet:confused:

Before I go into battle with VM when I get home from work - can anyone advise me if (as my friend thinks) - this is a VM/cable modem problem and nothing to do with my router?

Another annoying thing is that I am on a very old price deal where I was paying £25 per month for 10mb - they have graciously reduced that to £20 (big of them) - should I just think about getting another provider?

Sorry for the long post - I'd be grateful for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have plugged the router directly into your PC then the problem is not your router.

Have you tried plugging the router into another PC, maybe a laptop were the ethernet port is definately working. Don't forget to reboot the modem when changing the device connected to the modem. Also have you tried a different cable betweeen the modem and PC.

If you have done all those then yes, the problem is with the VM side of things.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is most likely with VM's side of things but you need to prove this to them.
    The reason your modem isn't working when plugging it into things other than your linksys router is you have to powercycle it when changing what it's connected to.

i.e. disconnect from linksys router, turn off modem (pull out power cable), wait 20 seconds, power up cable modem (plug power cable back in), let it stabilise then connect it to the new hardware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    If you have plugged the router directly into your PC then the problem is not your router.

Have you tried plugging the router into another PC, maybe a laptop were the ethernet port is definately working. Don't forget to reboot the modem when changing the device connected to the modem. Also have you tried a different cable betweeen the modem and PC.

If you have done all those then yes, the problem is with the VM side of things.

Yes thanks ,tried all those things - 3 different cables that we know work and we rebooted the modem each time.
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The problem is most likely with VM's side of things but you need to prove this to them.
    The reason your modem isn't working when plugging it into things other than your linksys router is you have to powercycle it when changing what it's connected to.

i.e. disconnect from linksys router, turn off modem (pull out power cable), wait 20 seconds, power up cable modem (plug power cable back in), let it stabilise then connect it to the new hardware.

Thank you too - yes we did those things. Seems like it is definitely VM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a VM problem.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world. We've had terrible 10mb service since November. Repeated calls to CS end with them telling us to take the router out of the equation, despite having done this to no noticeable improvement.

I've given up with the phones now and am trying the email route. Annoyed beyond belief. Our BB is good for basic web browsing, so long as there's no heavy flash or gifs or vids. It's been spot on for 7 years and now we can't seem to get anyone's attention for proper help:( If they chuck us a new modem I'm screwed, I wouldn't have a clue how to install it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Welcome to my world. We've had terrible 10mb service since November. Repeated calls to CS end with them telling us to take the router out of the equation, despite having done this to no noticeable improvement.

I've given up with the phones now and am trying the email route. Annoyed beyond belief. Our BB is good for basic web browsing, so long as there's no heavy flash or gifs or vids. It's been spot on for 7 years and now we can't seem to get anyone's attention for proper help:( If they chuck us a new modem I'm screwed, I wouldn't have a clue how to install it.

My friend has the full Virgin package and when he has a problem - an engineer comes out pronto, so that's what I am going to ask for if it is not sorted.
    I am pretty tenacious and assertive - so it WILL get it sorted or I'll stop my direct debit with notice, so that should concentrate their minds:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    My friend has the full Virgin package and when he has a problem - an engineer comes out pronto, so that's what I am going to ask for if it is not sorted.
    I am pretty tenacious and assertive - so it WILL get it sorted or I'll stop my direct debit with notice, so that should concentrate their minds:D

Come rage on my behalf please:D

Hopefully, they'll get back to us today... or before the new year:cry... 2012...:cry::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they chuck us a new modem I'm screwed, I wouldn't have a clue how to install it.

Modem is very simple to install. You unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Three connectors. Mains power, one co-ax cable with screw on f-type connector and ethernet connector going to your router.

You may need to call Virgin when you make the switch over and give them the MAC code of the modem (its printed on the modem and the box) for them to activate it.

BTW, I hear that getting support via virgin twitter team gives quick results, most likely because it is manned by UK agents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modem is very simple to install. You unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Three connectors. Mains power, one co-ax cable with screw on f-type connector and ethernet connector going to your router.

You may need to call Virgin when you make the switch over and give them the MAC code of the modem (its printed on the modem and the box) for them to activate it.

BTW, I hear that getting support via virgin twitter team gives quick results, most likely because it is manned by UK agents.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind if the email people don't get back to me:)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind if the email people don't get back to me:)

Also look at contacting the Twitter team thet are usually very helpful
  • Options
    Forum Member

Boo - I don't use twitter, nor do i want to. I'll try conventional routes first
  • Options
    rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive recently had problems with speed as i was only getting 4mb out of the 10mb connection, had new modem no change,turns out it was my avast antivirus software stopping me getting full speed,taken off now and put avg on and getting a good 10mb connection...
  • Options
    CurlyCurly Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Try emailing neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk

Always found his office to be extremely helpful if you have no joy with customer services.
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rock8633 wrote: »
    Ive recently had problems with speed as i was only getting 4mb out of the 10mb connection, had new modem no change,turns out it was my avast antivirus software stopping me getting full speed,taken off now and put avg on and getting a good 10mb connection...
    That's the reason I stopped using Avast it was restricting my speed most notably with Newsgroups. Avast was really throttling my downloads, AVG does not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UPDATED : well I have to say that VM customer services have been really good. Got my new wireless router (free of charge) and connected that, no difference. So they sent me a new cable modem, arrived today - all connected and activated. Suddenly I'm getting 10.05MB - yippee.

The old modem did have NTL on it and was around 8 years old. Must have been just that - BUT I do have Avast on my desktop and curiously getting faster speed on my laptop (AVG) via the router than on the desktop. Off to uninstall Avast and put AVG on.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old modem did have NTL on it and was around 8 years old. Must have been just that - BUT I do have Avast on my desktop and curiously getting faster speed on my laptop (AVG) via the router than on the desktop. Off to uninstall Avast and put AVG on.

Don't do that! Avast is much better than AVG. If you really want to change, try Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

If you have any more issues with VM, you might like to try their support forum at http://community.virginmedia.com/ (if you haven't done so already). Many people find it more effective than the telephone help line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . So they sent me a new cable modem, arrived today - all connected and activated. Suddenly I'm getting 10.05MB - yippee.

The old modem did have NTL on it and was around 8 years old. Must have been just that
    I expect that you had either a NTLhome100 or 120 and your connection would have struggled with that and the first agent should have noticed what modem you had and sent a replacement on your first call and would probably have saved you a lot of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »
    I expect that you had either a NTLhome100 or 120 and your connection would have struggled with that and the first agent should have noticed what modem you had and sent a replacement on your first call and would probably have saved you a lot of time.

Yes - thanks. The second guy I spoke to noticed straight away that age of the modem and said it was not worth trying anything else until I had that.

Took Avast off the desktop and now got 10.8MB on that.
    Put AVG on but I'll try MSE when I get the chance
  • Options
    paul-whitepaul-white Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    fenlander wrote: »
    Don't do that! Avast is much better than AVG. If you really want to change, try Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

If you have any more issues with VM, you might like to try their support forum at http://community.virginmedia.com/ (if you haven't done so already). Many people find it more effective than the telephone help line.

fenlander, what you have posted has exactly mirrored my experiences and recommendations. VM's telephone support will only provide the most basic help from operators in either India or South Africa. VM to have some very helpful and knowledgeable people out there, it's just a matter of being able to contact them. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our modem is 7 years old and we haven't had anyone suggest it might be at fault for our woes. VM failed to reply or even acknowledge two emails to them, and they even said, when we finally got in touch with someone half way useful on the phone, that we should be getting about 8megs instead of the 1/2 we have been (and that's generous speed I'm quoting there, on a good day). Did they offer a solution at that point? Nope.

We're considering upgrading to 20mb now, just so that the next time they say it's our router, we can point out that it's their router.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our modem is 7 years old and we haven't had anyone suggest it might be at fault for our woes.
    What model is your present modem.
    We're considering upgrading to 20mb now, just so that the next time they say it's our router, we can point out that it's their router.
    If you upgrade and they install a Superhub then no one can blame the router due to the modem and router being combined in a single unit.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petey286 wrote: »
    What model is your present modem.

If you upgrade and they install a Superhub then no one can blame the router due to the modem and router being combined in a single unit.:D

It's an old NTL 200.

And yes, that's the plan:o:D
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Had exactly the same problem, after waiting a few days phoned VM and was told to do all sorts of things with my router settings. I did not do any of it as i did not want to screw anything up and low and behold while i was still on the phone back to normal speed.

I suspect that VM had done something at their end to lower my speed as i am a high volume user.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had exactly the same problem, after waiting a few days phoned VM and was told to do all sorts of things with my router settings. I did not do any of it as i did not want to screw anything up and low and behold while i was still on the phone back to normal speed.

I suspect that VM had done something at their end to lower my speed as i am a high volume user.

Thing is, we aren't and we've had excellent speed for years. It just changed in November, out of the blue.

tbh, even though it's been checked and vetted, I have started to think there is something wrong with the router that no one's caught. Oh well, I'll see how this goes next week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will in all likelihood have been an area issue as no one gets their speed traffic managed or shaped for days as the system is not capable of doing so, only ADSL ISP's cut your speed all day every day if you exceed the agreed usage.