Kent woman injured by car reversed by daughter dies

Comments

• EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving an automatic, I had a couple of accelerator/brake incidents. I got flustered and hit the "brake" quickly, jerking the car suddenly forward or back.

Fortunately I never hit anything other than a kerbstone - but I can easily see how this happened.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who else?

The mother, who placed herself in danger?

I'd say it sounds like a case of misadventure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now you tell us.

It would've been a bit difficult for me to tell Mr Duke, since I never met her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burti wrote: »
    Of course that's not a very P C thing to say now a days but I tend to agree with the point your making, there's to many drivers on the road all ready so I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to try to discourage women from learning to drive. May be make there lessons and insurance a lot more would help.

Not, no very PC but you can still get away with saying it, can't you.

I doubt you'd suggest we discourage non-whites from learning to drive, just anyone without your type of genitals:rolleyes: I'd sooner ban boy racers than stay at home Mums and not because I don't have a penis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I thought the advice was to get in plenty of practice, with a relative or friend?

Advice from whom?
    I've given driving instruction on many occasions, without incident.

Is that through luck or judgement?
    Just because I don't have a formal qualification, doesn't mean I'm not capable.

Capable of what?
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I think the first thing we can learn is, don't stand behind a reversing car, no matter who is driving.

She didn't die just because she was standing behind the car, the reason why a lot of accidents happen, she died because the daughter made a mistake while reversing.

But this case all this discussion are pointless, the girl cannot possibly be held responsible because she was just learning to drive and the mother is dead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    No really, they can't be responsible?

Stating the obvious, that they can't be responsible?

Accident or misadventure?
    Looks like you didn't understand my post fully, and selective quoting is probably why.
    Forum Member
    Viridiana wrote: »
    She didn't die just because she was standing behind the car, the reason why a lot of accidents happen, she died because the daughter made a mistake while reversing.

But this case all this discussion are pointless, the girl cannot possibly be held responsible because she was just learning to drive and the mother is dead.

So, you do not think the two - ie reversing vehicle and standing behind said reversing vehicle - have a connection?
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all stand or walk behind cars that are reversing or starting to reverse, Supermarket car parks are a bleeding menace, with folk too busy chastising Cassandra and Sebastian or fussing about their beloved dogs to see muggins here in their rear view mirrors.

Hopefully the driver is experienced enough to see you AND smart enough NOT to mistake the brake for the accelerator and not embed you into the back of a transit van.

As long as we have vehicles driven by people, accidents will always happen.

A moments inattention..........=......... a lifetime of regret.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *cirrus* wrote: »
    Advice from whom?

The AA.
    page 4 wrote:
    We also feel that private practice, generally with parents is a key part of gaining driving experience.

ROSPA.
    Helping Young People
    Learn To Drive Safely

The best way to learn to drive is to take professional lessons with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI), supported by private practice supervised by a parent or friend. This helps the learner to practise what they are being taught in the professional lessons in a wider range of driving situations. Research shows that the more driving experience learners obtain, the safer they are likely to be when they start to drive on their own. Private practice will also help them to pass the driving test.

Britannia Driving School.
    Simon Bush of Britannia Driving School said: “It’s a good idea for teenagers to have extra driving practice with their mum or dad (preferably with mum). But we would recommend about 20 hours of driving lessons with a driving instructor before training with parents. Pupils who combine professional driving instruction with private practice are more successful on the driving test.”

Richard Harper and the DSA.
    A survey recently carried out by the DSA, suggests that to give potential candidates the best possible chance of passing the Driving test, they will need to have completed a minimum of 40 hours driving with a professional instructor plus as much "additional" fully supervised driving practice with a member of their family or friend.

Need I go one?
    Is that through luck or judgement?

Do you make insulting remarks by nature, or does it require practice?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viridiana wrote: »
    She didn't die just because she was standing behind the car

There wouldn't have been any chance of her dying, had she not entered the danger area behind the vehicle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    Looks like you didn't understand my post fully, and selective quoting is probably why.

Perhaps if you answer the questions in plain, straightforward language?
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if you answer the questions in plain, straightforward language?
    The answer to your question is in the bit you decided to delete when quoting me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all stand or walk behind cars that are reversing or starting to reverse

"All" is quite a generalisation.

Also, there's a difference between walking behind a vehicle, when there's clear space on the other side of you, and placing yourself in the small, and reducing, gap between the rear of a moving vehicle, and the rear of a parked one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The answer to your question is in the bit you decided to delete when quoting me.

Why is it so hard for you to give an unambiguous, straightforward, answer :confused:
    Forum Member
    "All" is quite a generalisation.

Also, there's a difference between walking behind a vehicle, when there's clear space on the other side of you, and placing yourself in the small, and reducing, gap between the rear of a moving vehicle, and the rear of a parked one.
    All you've got do is step outside onto a footpath and you've got a risk of being hit by a car and killed.

I would hazard a guess that more people are killed by cars going forwards rather than backwards.

It's pretty much common sense - if you stand in the way of a moving vehicle, there's a risk of getting hit.
    Forum Member
    Do you make insulting remarks by nature, or does it require practice?

In what way do you regard my remarks as insulting?
    Forum Member
    Why is it so hard for you to give an unambiguous, straightforward, answer :confused:
    I don't fancy repeating myself.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=48121681&postcount=59
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Oh, come on! Even I understood him. You deleted a part of his post. Remember?
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

They weren't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I don't know about anyone else but this story has disturbed me a little. You hear of awful things happening all the time all over the world and after a while you sort of become desensitised to what you see and hear on the news, but for some reason this is playing on my mind this evening. I can't imagine what the poor girl and her family must be going through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Oh, come on! Even I understood him.

Perhaps you could translate?
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you could translate?
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51546776&postcount=64
    Which parts of words 9 - 22 did you not understand?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My statement was quite clear, that I have taught many people, yet you see fit to question whether my lack of incidents was planned.

Would you ask the same question of an ADI?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51546776&postcount=64
    Which parts of words 9 - 22 did you not understand?

Here you go.

All I'm looking for, is a simple, unambiguous answer to the question I posed, which was:-

Do you believe that a dead person, cannot be responsible for their own death?

Why Confused couldn't have simply clarified his reply, instead of dragging it out, I'll never know?