What is the biggest shock in Oscar history?

Comments

• JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Sean Connery's one of the most famous recipients on that basis. I don't necessarily think his performance in The Untouchables was any worse than his fellow nominees, but the general feeling is that he got it precisely because of the 'Old Guard' need to recognise him.

John Wayne winning for True Grit would be a better example of that.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommy Lee Jones (The Fugitive) winning best supporting actor over Ralph Fiennes (Schindler's List). A big ol' WTF.

I really enjoyed Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive, but i do agree with you.

Actually, last year i was working on a video project about best picture nominees and i was really surprised to find that The Fugitive had been nominated for Best Picture back in the days when they only shortlisted 5. It's a good solid picture, but Best Picture nominee! Really?? :eek:
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommy Lee Jones (The Fugitive) winning best supporting actor over Ralph Fiennes (Schindler's List). A big ol' WTF.

Clive Owen (Closer) missing out on best supporting actor to Morgan Freeman (A Million Dollar Baby). I'm a fan of Morgan Freeman, but I thought Clive Owen was superb in Closer.

Agree with the first one. As for the 2nd, Freeman was brilliant in Million Dollar Baby, both he and Hilary Swank deserved their awards.
    brumgal wrote: »
    Ennio Morrocone not getting it for The Mission score.

Agreed!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    The Golden Globes is voted for by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association which is about 100 people who report on the US film industry around the world.

The BAFTAs are voted for by members of the British Academy and the Oscars by members of the American Academy. There are huge overlaps in membership of the two groups but there are various differences. Membership is made up of former winners and nominees plus other invitees of the committees.

I think some of the BAFTA awards are decided by panel rather than vote of the full academy (the technical awards generally) but every Oscar is decided by full vote of the academy.

Brilliant. Thanks for that :)
  • GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mousy wrote: »
    Gwynneth Paltrow winning over Cate Blanchett

in fact, Gwynneth Paltrow even being nominated

dreadful performance...if that wasn't a fix, nothing was

But then we'd have missed out on her extraordinarily moving speech... :p Nah, I absolutely agree with you.

Robert Donat winning Best Actor Oscar for his 1939 role in Goodbye Mr Chips was a massive shocker for that year as the contenders were so strong.. He won over Clark Gable for Gone With The Wind, Laurence Olivier for Wuthering Heights, James Stewart for Mr Smith Goes To Washington and Mickey Rooney for Babes in Arms.

Saying that, I love his performance as Mr Chips so am glad he won. :D
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    Julie Christie beating Julie Andrews - Andrews should have won for Sound of Music. Also Christopher Plummer should have had a best actor nomination, with Eleanor Parker for best supporting actress

Cher beating Glenn Close

and

CZJ getting supporting actress over Queen Latifah - Latifah made a corrupt wardress warm and likeable. Don't think CZJ deserved it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gurgles wrote: »
    But then we'd have missed out on her extraordinarily moving speech... :p Nah, I absolutely agree with you.

Robert Donat winning Best Actor Oscar for his 1939 role in Goodbye Mr Chips was a massive shocker for that year as the contenders were so strong.. He won over Clark Gable for Gone With The Wind, Laurence Olivier for Wuthering Heights, James Stewart for Mr Smith Goes To Washington and Mickey Rooney for Babes in Arms.

Saying that, I love his performance as Mr Chips so am glad he won. :D

I think that was arguably the strongest shortlist in oscar history, all would have been worthy winners. I personally adore James Stewarts performance in Mr Smith Goes to Washington, but I think Donat deserved it because he had to act the part of a man from youth to death, no mean feat to do convincingly even now, with all the technological advancements to make it cosmetically easier.

I remember seeing an american programme about Clark Gable with a distance relative of him featured ranting about how "no one remembered" the winner of best actor that year and how Gable was "robbed". One can only assume he really wasn't clued up as to who the competition was...
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crash winning best picture is the one I can remember. Nobody saw that one coming.
    Forum Member
    can anyone offer me any suggestions as to why CZJ got supporting actress over Queen Latifah
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    can anyone offer me any suggestions as to why CZJ got supporting actress over Queen Latifah

Maybe because people knew Queen Latifah could sing but CZJ was a surprise in that regard. And she had to do more dancing. Velma and Mama Morton are equally important parts really. I actually think Queen Latifah was better in Hairspray than in Chicago, but I know I may well be in the minority for that.
    Forum Member
    Maybe because people knew Queen Latifah could sing but CZJ was a surprise in that regard. And she had to do more dancing. Velma and Mama Morton are equally important parts really. I actually think Queen Latifah was better in Hairspray than in Chicago, but I know I may well be in the minority for that.

but hadn't CZJ tried to launch a music career in the UK beforehand that ultimately flopped:confused:
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    John Wayne winning for True Grit would be a better example of that.

Or Paul Newman in the Color of Money.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but hadn't CZJ tried to launch a music career in the UK beforehand that ultimately flopped:confused:

She did a great song with David Essex.
  • DigiPalDigiPal Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Color Purple being nominated for 11 awards and coming away with nothing
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Am with those who preferred Queen Latifah in Chicago, I also thought John C Reilly was terrific.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this was a shock per se, but Bette Davis should have won for All About Eve.

I doubt there will be any shocks this year, unless Anne Hathaway loses which I think she could to Sally Field if Lincoln's strong showing in the nominations is anything to go by.
    Forum Member
    Did CZJ being married to Michael Douglas have anything to do with her beating Queen Latifah, who for me gave the better performance
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigiPal wrote: »
    The Color Purple being nominated for 11 awards and coming away with nothing

And 'Out of Africa' - the 'worthy' film with Robert Redford and Meryl Streep won Best Picture instead.

To this day I have never seen that film. I firmly believe that it won because the Academy didn't want to give Spielberg the award because he was looked on as an 'enfante terrible' and had to 'earn his dues'.

Course, he then won with 'Schindlers List'. Which was a deserved winner, actually. Although I felt that this would get the award as it had all the 'qualities' that the Academy looks for in a film. That it was brilliant as well was just sheer coincidence.

Hollywood is incredibly political and the Oscars even more so. It's more of a surprise (not a shock) when something or someone that deserves the Oscar wins!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oops, didn't know that :o I have no idea then, I thought she and Queen Latifah were equally good in Chicago. Latifah would have given a better winners' speech though than the awful one CZJ blamed on her hormones!
    I doubt there will be any shocks this year, unless Anne Hathaway loses which I think she could to Sally Field if Lincoln's strong showing in the nominations is anything to go by.

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. I'll certainly consider it a shock if Hathaway doesn't win.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Queen Latifah in Chicago but I do feel CZJ did deserve that Oscar. She was fantastic.

I just think it's a travesty Julianne Moore hasn't won anything yet.
  • alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clive Owen (Closer) missing out on best supporting actor to Morgan Freeman (A Million Dollar Baby). I'm a fan of Morgan Freeman, but I thought Clive Owen was superb in Closer.

Crash winning best picture.

Was just about to say the same - Fiennes losing out to Tommy Lee Jones was a real shock to me - have never forgiven TLJ :)
  • GortGort Posts: 7,460
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this was a shock per se, but Bette Davis should have won for All About Eve.

She was excellent in All About Eve, but I preferred Gloria Swanson's performance in Sunset Boulevard. Still, I agree that Bette Davis deserved it over Judy Holliday's performance in Born Yesterday. Certainly an eye opener if not a shock.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Bjork's swan dress
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Julie Christie beating Julie Andrews - Andrews should have won for Sound of Music. Also Christopher Plummer should have had a best actor nomination, with Eleanor Parker for best supporting actress

He picked up an award a couple of years back. Could that be classed as another award for the old guard though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was just about to say the same - Fiennes losing out to Tommy Lee Jones was a real shock to me - have never forgiven TLJ :)

yes, because clearly it's his fault that the academy voted for him! :confused: