Switch box - help needed

Hello

I have a TV set up in spare room. It's an old CRT with just the 1 scart socket. I want to connect 2 items to it - cheap free view box and DVD player a o I've bought a 2 scart splitter box off eBay. Works ok but currently DVD player has to be active (green light on) in oRder for me to watch the feed from the free view box. As DVD player goes on auto sleep after about 10 mins idle, this isn't ideal.

Any suggestions to fix this? It's for spare room set-up so not looking for any expensive solutions.

Thanks

Comments

• Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Your thread title mentions a switch box yet in your post you mention a splitter, this could be why you are having problems. Have you a link to what you have bought?

A dedicated swichbox should not rely on one component to be active, components should work independently. How have you made the connections?

Have you got the Freeview box connected to the DVD player in anyway?

You should have three connections, Freeview box/DVD player connected to switch box, scart from switchbox to TV.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Freeview box has two SCART sockets on it you don't need a switch box.

Many Freeview boxes have a "VCR" SCART and a "TV" SCART. The original intention being that you hook up a VCR to the box to record programmes. However the "VCR" SCART can be used for anything, including the DVD player.

So you could wire it up as follows

DVD player --> Freeview "VCR" SCART
    Freeview "TV" SCART --> TV

The Freeview box will pass on the DVD signals simply by you taking the DVD out of standby. It will probably still pass through the DVD signals when it is put into standby. Once you've finished watching the DVD simply put the player back into standby and the Freeview signals should re-appear on the telly.

Much simpler than faffing about with switch boxes. :)
  • rugbylas08rugbylas08 Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Your thread title mentions a switch box yet in your post you mention a splitter, this could be why you are having problems. Have you a link to what you have bought?

A dedicated swichbox should not rely on one component to be active, components should work independently. How have you made the connections?

Have you got the Freeview box connected to the DVD player in anyway?

You should have three connections, Freeview box/DVD player connected to switch box, scart from switchbox to TV.
    Hi
    What I have is:

Scart splitter box allows you to connect 2 scart devices to 1 TV or split 1 signal to 2 TV's. It is a simple solution to the problem of your Tv not having enough scart sockets.
    Two way SCART splitter box with switch for convenient switching between sources to reduce interference
    1 x scart plug to 2 x scart sockets

My free view and DVD player boxes only have one scart socket each.

Hope this clarifies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does this "switch" have a physical switch that you have to press manually to select between the two inputs? Or is it one of those "automatic" devices where you just switch on the player or Freeview box and it switches to that input all by itself?

If it is an automatic switch then perhaps swap it for a manual switch such as this

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01114/switch-scart-2-way/dp/AV14801

I have never had much joy with automatic switches. They never seem to switch properly.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    rugbylas08 wrote: »
    Hi
    What I have is:

Scart splitter box allows you to connect 2 scart devices to 1 TV or split 1 signal to 2 TV's. It is a simple solution to the problem of your Tv not having enough scart sockets.
    Two way SCART splitter box with switch for convenient switching between sources to reduce interference
    1 x scart plug to 2 x scart sockets

My free view and DVD player boxes only have one scart socket each.

Hope this clarifies
    I would try a dedicated switchbox, not one that describes itself as a splitter/switchbox.

Chris had linked to a product that should suit your requirements.
  • rugbylas08rugbylas08 Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Yes it has a manual button to change input
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rugbylas08 wrote: »
    Yes it has a manual button to change input
    In that case there should be no need for the DVD player to be even connected to watch the Freeview box much less for it to be powered up. With a mechanical switch the DVD SCART should be going nowhere when switched to the Freeview box, in theory it should be the same as if you unplugged it.

Which implies there is a fault in the switch box. So perhaps replacing it might solve the issue.