Quick question about porting my number.Is there anything ELSE i need to do?

PfrancisPfrancis Posts: 301
Forum Member
I've just got a phone contract(sim only) 4g from tesco.I'm currently with giffgaff.I've got my pac code from giffgaff and filled in the the online form with tesco mobile as I got my new sim the other day.They say it could take 48 hrs for it to transfer.What I've done is activated my new tesco sim by making a phone call.I've done that but the number its showing is the NEW number and not my old number as yet so i put my old giffgaff sim back into my phone and using this as normal.I've put my NEW sim away.
Question is am I doing everything right.I know its a daft question but I've never done this before and I don't want to mess it up.

Comments

• de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pfrancis wrote: »
    I've just got a phone contract(sim only) 4g from tesco.I'm currently with giffgaff.I've got my pac code from giffgaff and filled in the the online form with tesco mobile as I got my new sim the other day.They say it could take 48 hrs for it to transfer.What I've done is activated my new tesco sim by making a phone call.I've done that but the number its showing is the NEW number and not my old number as yet so i put my old giffgaff sim back into my phone and using this as normal.I've put my NEW sim away.
    Question is am I doing everything right.I know its a daft question but I've never done this before and I don't want to mess it up.

The number port can take up to two working days. You just need to wait. When it happens, the giffgaff SIM will stop working and refuse to connect to the network. Then put your Tesco SIM into your phone and the transfer should complete a few hours later. Until it completes, you may find that some calls go to your Tesco sim and some to your old one. This is normal, the networks take a few hours to update everything.

It doesn't really matter if your Tesco SIM is in the phone or your Giffgaff one is. I've transferred my number twice by using the temp number on my new sim until transfer. You usually get a text telling you that it's underway/complete.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry you will be fine. They usually ask you you turn your phone with the new sim in off anyway.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be told a designated day on which the port will take place. During that day your old SIM will stop working and your new SIM should take over your number in a matter of hours.

They'll probably send that message to the new SIM so you might miss it if you've put it away, but nonetheless just keep using the old one until it stops working and then the new one should take over on the same day. It does not take 48 hours to actually complete a port.