BBC Music Awards 2014

1131415161719»

Comments

• fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not getting those two hours back ! Could do with more awards! Odd but not bad. Pain that biggest winner was only on satellite link! I liked Ed Sheeran, not my demographic but I think he's down to earth, talented and a nice guy- I think I got a thing for gingers, pity I'm old enough to be his mum!
    Ps thing for gingers doesn't include Chris Evans! He's a shite presenter- need educating about Royal Blood? I don't listen to Radio 1 or 2. I listen to 6 Music and they are play listed regularly! As Sherlock says ' do your research!'
  • Stephen_SimpsonStephen_Simpson Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was pretty useless. An attempt to beat The Brits and build a platform for more free performances. The Audience were annoying too. I would have preferred a mix of demographics instead of the Radio 1 "I'm here for 1D, Ed Sheeran and No one Else" Audience. Probably needs reworking in the office for next year.
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Thought it was a major missed opportunity by the BBC.

Given the wide range of music supported across the BBC, surely they could have had -

a) more awards on the night

b) performances by the various award winners from things like Chorister of the year, Young folk Singer etc

better luck next time.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    Chris Martin and will.i.am were dreadful. Cody who sang with Will was good though. Also Paloma and Tom - it just didn't work

That Cody who ever is hot lol
  • ariella52ariella52 Posts: 7,519
    Forum Member
    Wmsheep wrote: »
    Thought it was a major missed opportunity by the BBC.

Given the wide range of music supported across the BBC, surely they could have had -

a) more awards on the night

b) performances by the various award winners from things like Chorister of the year, Young folk Singer etc

better luck next time.

Agreed. Though I'm not sure how you achieve that. The Grammy's honour a huge range of music, but the prime time show is mainly current stars.mthe rest are covered in a very long broadcast.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baffles me how this can be called BBC Music Awards with only four awards:

Best British Artist
    Best Song
    Best Newcomer
    Best International Artist

Too many performances and not enough awards for all other genres (pop, rock, rnb, dance, hiphop, classical, etc).
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Baffles me how this can be called BBC Music Awards with only four awards:

Best British Artist
    Best Song
    Best Newcomer
    Best International Artist
    Did Annie Lennox win all of them?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah it's back to the fake voiced warbler Paloma. She's so darn cute though.

Why is the BBC so infatuated with Paloma Faith. I'm not just talking about this, I mean over the years she keeps getting invited onto mainly BBC shows as a guest.
    To be fair she has managed to forge a career for herself, but it's not as if she's such an amazingly successful act that she's the go-to person to invite onto shows.
    Even when hardly anybody had heard of her they were pushing her onto us.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a complete waste of two hours of tv for an over-hyped up programme. And what was that coverage on the radio too with the likes of Jo Whiley, Grimmy etc? We'll also have to tolerate several days of hearing those live performances on radio 1 and radio 2!! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    Totally agree . She's pretty darn ugly as well . Why is she so popular? Don't get it .

I'm not even sure that she is that popular. But you'd think so due to how often she keeps popping up on TV shows.
    It's like telly people are desperate to foist this person onto us and have us believe that she's massively popular, but I'm not sure the illusion quite works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This pretentious arse-kissing is doing my ****ing head in. Will.I.Am is not important to the music industry. He's part of the current problem with it.

Bearing in mind that much of his output is based on ripping other songs off. He seems like a nice enough guy, but it's not as if he's the innovator that he's made out to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that sucked. Like the BBC on its own cock.

Well I suppose it's honest enough by not hiding the fact that this is The BBC Music Awards. In other words music which people who work for the BBC like.
    It very much feels like that too. You can imagine BBC execs, BBC programme commissioners, and BBC crawlers like Grimshaw wetting their pants in excitement at this sort of mediocre music.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bored by the performances that we've seen a million times before. I just wanted more awards but then realised there weren't any!

Who wants to hear Ed Sheeran and Coldplay sing the same song again that they've performed before for the BBC? I don't!

Ed Sheeran voted British Artist of the Year? Now that is mediocre! Who the hell likes his bloody music? His music's for soppy girls! All that talk about sleeping on people's sofa's for years and years? Did his parents kick him out and suddenly abandom him for no reason?
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Happy was released last year so hows it song of the year. Its awful. Just singing Happy 600 times and a room without a roof aint inspired lyrics. I enjoyed it apart from paloma faith, god only knows how she can sing
  • Guapacha2007Guapacha2007 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this programme was fantastic, it was great to have two hours of live music from a range of different artists on BBC1.
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed like a very good show to me, much better than the Brits, shame I am a bit old now to know what's going on musically but was impressed with presentation etc
  • Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brit has it's faults but always feels a little more edgy in anticipation that someone will do something outrageous, the BBC ends up stripping something out, making it feel it's for the under 15's and 50 year old Take That fans.

I'm not quite sure what the point of this was, Tom Jones again getting rolled out, that might have been exciting 10 years ago but now feels like the BBC just playing with their existing talent.

If the BBC want to do a music awards they should strive to do something different, this wasn't it.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Did Annie Lennox win all of them?

LOL.

Brilliant!
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    What a complete waste of two hours of tv for an over-hyped up programme. And what was that coverage on the radio too with the likes of Jo Whiley, Grimmy etc? We'll also have to tolerate several days of hearing those live performances on radio 1 and radio 2!! :(

The ITV/Diet Coke Movie Awards from a few years ago was possibly the worst award programme I have ever watched.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole programme was like weak milky tea, it had no edge in terms of style, presentation
    or music. Mainstream pop is just so bland right now.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Oh well, that's the end of the BBC's bizarre attempt to clone the Brit Awards. At least in all but name.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42063723
  • RickyLeeds85RickyLeeds85 Posts: 11,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, that's the end of the BBC's bizarre attempt to clone the Brit Awards. At least in all but name.

Interesting nominations, strange how Ariana Grande at One Love Manchester isnt up for BBC live performance of the year.

The programme sounds good anyway imo.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not surprised, the beeb has a habit of starting events and awards only to drop them a few years later whenever management changes. Same thing happened to the TOTP awards, electric proms, BBC Four World Cinema Award, even the Kermodes.

BBC Music Day will probably be next once Lord Hall goes.