Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    I noticed that the BBC highlights are quite short on Sunday. Not even two hours doesn't bond well for the first race of the season. I know the Rugby is on but they could of used BBC Two.

BBC1 gets higher ratings than BBC2 (plus they'll say we don't want F1 highlights to clash with the live rugby).
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    BBC1 gets higher ratings than BBC2 (plus they'll say we don't want F1 highlights to clash with the live rugby).

True, but given that the quali higlights start at 12.50pm and the race highlights don't start until 1.15pm, there's potentially an argument that they could start the race highlights earlier on BBC1, still finishing before the rugby and getting more of a show in. Though I'm sure it's difficult to balance the timing of the stuff on before the F1.

You could maybe also argue that they could cut some time out of the buildup to the rugby, which starts at 2.40pm for a 3pm kickoff, or have that buildup on the red button or whatever and go to the match much closer to the start on the main channel. In Scotland there's also the complication of the League cup final, which has coverage starting at 2.40pm as well on BBC1 Scotland with the rugby on BBC2 Scotland.

But neither of these are unusual events so I think the BBC could fit in the normal highlights length if they wanted to; they just don't want to.

I think when the BBC/Sky split deal was announced most people were predicting the BBC slowly and consistently scaling back on their coverage and I don't think anything we've seen to day could really argue with that. That's not to say it's a particularly bad job, but there's definitely not the commitment to it they had at the start of their second spell of coverage.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »

F1 fans know what BBC2 is.
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    Looks like big news on the graphics front. FOM have just posted a new app video, the first for Australia, and the first to use the "Formula1.com" bumper instead of the old "Formula One app ident". It's also the first to use a radical new graphics style for the names. All previous ones used the standard slanty World Feed ones, but look at this:
    http://i.imgur.com/AGektg3.png

Of course these graphics could be unique to the app/website videos, but that would be unlikely to me. Why would you design a separate graphics set just for use on app videos? Surely they'd want to tie it in with the world feed etc. to show it's by the same people?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    Looks like big news on the graphics front. FOM have just posted a new app video,

My 2014 f1 app on the iPad has gone blank this morning, no video, images or news.
    I had noticed since we had that new website notification a few days ago that all the news items in the app were 404'd

For the graphics, 4am tomorrow is the Live Drivers Press Conference, so we will know then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    My 2014 f1 app on the iPad has gone blank this morning, no video, images or news.
    I had noticed since we had that new website notification a few days ago that all the news items in the app were 404'd

For the graphics, 4am tomorrow is the Live Drivers Press Conference, so we will know then.
    Do they have graphics in the drivers press conference? I can't remember :(

Anyway, they've just published a new video (A Lotus factory tour with Carmen Jorda) where you can see a bit more of the new graphics. The font they're using now is Benton Sans by the way.

http://imgur.com/a/QVCsD
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question about Sky Sports F1 scheduling.

It doesn't look like the Practice sessions are scheduled for a repeat on Monday.

Whereas I realise there may be reasons why they could be considered as easily disposed of by then I see no reason myself why they couldn't continue to be scheduled as part of a full rerun of the entire race weekend on the Monday as previously they were routinely scheduled in. Is it futile to hope they may be added in by then or has a decision going forward been made not to replay them in full on the Monday morning?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    RobSmithS wrote: »
    Question about Sky Sports F1 scheduling.

It doesn't look like the Practice sessions are scheduled for a repeat on Monday.

Whereas I realise there may be reasons why they could be considered as easily disposed of by then I see no reason myself why they couldn't continue to be scheduled as part of a full rerun of the entire race weekend on the Monday as previously they were routinely scheduled in. Is it futile to hope they may be added in by then or has a decision going forward been made not to replay them in full on the Monday morning?

Notice on catchup there is a dedicated Australian F1 section as well as the F1 section, so they may populate that.
    It is strange they do not fill up the channel with all the repeats of the sky F1 coverage, instead of just having Home of F1 fillers.
    What I would love to have is a full red button replay, like they have done in the past.
  • Options
    DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,328
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »

No new videos have been added on the app for me since the one titled "Nick Chester reflects on testing at Lotus F1."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DanManF1 wrote: »
    No new videos have been added on the app for me since the one titled "Nick Chester reflects on testing at Lotus F1."
    I believe there may be a problem with the app getting stuck trying to download the latest news items now -_-
  • Options
    Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the app. Will it be updated to 2015 or is there a new app? They're cutting it fine now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul555 wrote: »
    Speaking of the app. Will it be updated to 2015 or is there a new app? They're cutting it fine now
    I imagine the existing app (as it appears on Google Play & the Apple Store) will be updated to the 2015 version.

One thing I can say is that the US price has now been fixed to bring it in line with the rest of the world, however the montly price gone up by about 30 or 40p (or the equivalent for other countries), so it's £2.20 something. The Yearly price has stayed the same - £19.99 for the UK.

Also users who subscribe (once it launches) are getting a free trial of the Premium version until April the 13th. It looks like they're planning to launch the site with a Beta disclaimer until everything's finished, although almost all of the functionality is there it seems to me. Looks like they're intending to launch the site (and presumably the app as well) in time for FP1 anyway.

Also, the Official F1 Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/formula1 has created a playlist entitled "2014 Season Highlights" which currently contains 2 Private videos. It's all go! I suspect they'll go for a big reveal, and enable that, the website & the app in one go.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May I suggest that NONE OF YOU subscribe to the official F1 YouTube site.
    Not that there isn't going to be anything worthwhile on it but when one subs a channel they can see other channels you sub...so.... Ya get my drift?

Jp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    May I suggest that NONE OF YOU subscribe to the official F1 YouTube site.
    Not that there isn't going to be anything worthwhile on it but when one subs a channel they can see other channels you sub...so.... Ya get my drift?

Jp

Why, do you have something to hide? :P And you can set your subscriptions & likes to private in YouTube's settings.

As the New F1 site's video player only goes up to 720p, it'll be interesting to see what resolution they upload any videos to YouTube as. If it is raw archive video, I hope they've re-encoded it to 50p from the original 25i, as that way YouTube preserves the original fluid motion.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, do you have something to hide? :P And you can set your subscriptions & likes to private in YouTube's settings.

Yes ...All those pictures from 30+ years of touring with rock bands...
    But they aren't on YouTube..trust me.

Do NOT think for a moment that the 'privacy' function cannot be circumvented by anyone with a wad of cash.
    Jp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    Yes ...All those pictures from 30+ years of touring with rock bands...
    But they aren't on YouTube..trust me.

Do NOT think for a moment that the 'privacy' function cannot be circumvented by anyone with a wad of cash.
    Jp
    If i was that paranoid I would have killed myself years ago. Or wouldn't use the internet.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    Adding to the likelihood of new graphics, The F1 dog on screen during the safety/medical car test's looks slightly different:
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/575495637917122560/photo/1

Looks a bit smaller & further over to the left when compared to the past couple years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adding to the likelihood of new graphics, The F1 dog on screen during the safety/medical car test's looks slightly different:
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/575495637917122560/photo/1

Looks a bit smaller & further over to the left when compared to the past couple years.
    It is, it's also a v. light grey rather than white as the previous one is.

The DOG in the new F1 app videos (with the new graphics in) is also the same proportions, albeit the standard white. I presume the DOG on that picture has been added in manually, as it's a tad fuzzy round the edges, plus as i've said it's grey, whereas the DOG on the new F1 app vids is white & sharper, albeit matching the size & position of that medical car pic.

Also interesting to note, it's the first time they've tweeted track pics like that during a race weekend before Friday. I seem to recall they only posted pics during the session last year.
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whens this new site going live then? PC's are about to start.

Oh and link BBC review
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b055vbm0/formula-1-2015-season-preview
  • Options
    JackFoleyJackFoley Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    App was updated on Android, you can subscribe to F1 Access from there (2.99 euro monthly, 26.99 if i remember correctly yearly).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JackFoley wrote: »
    App was updated on Android, you can subscribe to F1 Access from there (2.99 euro monthly, 26.99 if i remember correctly yearly).

Yeah, I wouldn't for now. I'm not certain if it links it across to the website subscription yet. So i'd wait until the new website launches. Which'll probably be tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dansus wrote: »
    Whens this new site going live then? PC's are about to start.

Oh and link BBC review
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b055vbm0/formula-1-2015-season-preview
    Probably in the next 24 hours. The new website won't be showing any live video content though...
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Sky have changed their F1 website http://www1.skysports.com/f1/

It's now bland and boring.
  • Options
    JackFoleyJackFoley Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I wouldn't for now. I'm not certain if it links it across to the website subscription yet. So i'd wait until the new website launches. Which'll probably be tomorrow.

I guess it will, you just have to give them your Google account coordinates after all (at least on Android).
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky have changed their F1 website http://www1.skysports.com/f1/

It's now bland and boring.

Didnt you get the memo? Flat is the new 3D.
This discussion has been closed.