F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know where I can find the results archive on the new F1 site? Like look at any year's history instead of just this and last year

Just look at Wikipedia
  • aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Correct, the World Feed splits into two channels before and after the race for unilaterials from channels like Fox in America that don't bring their own broadcast gear.
    Fox are no longer broadcast rights holders in the USA. The rights are with NBC Sports who show most races on NBCSN, a couple on NBC itself and a rogue race here and there on CNBC.
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he was talking about FoxSouth America...Oh wait they have people/gear on the ground.
    Jp
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    aberboy wrote: »
    Fox are no longer broadcast rights holders in the USA. The rights are with NBC Sports who show most races on NBCSN, a couple on NBC itself and a rogue race here and there on CNBC.

Was basing it on what I saw last year, not a clue who has rights to what this year. :) Either way they were just an example, most smaller networks use it.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if it's been mentioned on the thread (I didn't read the posts from qualifying), but is the audio between the drivers and their crews a little clearer this year? Looked like they tweaked the graphic as well.

I enjoyed the interaction between Lewis and Arnie, although he seemed a curious choice of celeb for Melbourne. I half wondered if someone at FOM said, "Sign Arnold for the Austrian grand prix", and the request got lost in translation. Sometimes Lewis can seem a little too cool for school, he seemed genuinely thrilled/impressed/surprised to see Schwartzy on the podium with him.

I smiled at Christian Horner moaning about the Mercedes domination, it was like listening to Fergie complain if Man United didn't get a penalty.
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »
    Maybe he was talking about FoxSouth America...Oh wait they have people/gear on the ground.
    Definitely saw a Fox Sports interview (in Spanish) on the world feed before a race last year. Might have been some others as well.
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned on the thread (I didn't read the posts from qualifying), but is the audio between the drivers and their crews a little clearer this year? Looked like they tweaked the graphic as well.

I enjoyed the interaction between Lewis and Arnie, although he seemed a curious choice of celeb for Melbourne. I half wondered if someone at FOM said, "Sign Arnold for the Austrian grand prix", and the request got lost in translation. Sometimes Lewis can seem a little too cool for school, he seemed genuinely thrilled/impressed/surprised to see Schwartzy on the podium with him.

I smiled at Christian Horner moaning about the Mercedes domination, it was like listening to Fergie complain if Man United didn't get a penalty.
    I can't speak for the TV Pit radio, but for the ones online, the F1 Access platform in the browser uses regular MP3 now for the audio, where as the F1 Mobile App last year (and still does this year) use AMR, which is designed for telephone calls, hence why if you compare the two, AMR sounds legible but v. distorted. I was surprised at how clear the MP3 was however.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/f1-2015-starts-off-with-3-5-million/

So what do you think about the ratings this weekend?

Can't blame the fewer raceday ratings on Sky, the earlier start time hampered the ratings.
    A depleted grid for the Australian Grand Prix meant that off-track talk continued to dominate the agenda, but the 2015 Formula One season began with 3.5 million viewers this past Sunday, unofficial overnight viewing figures show...
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Ant won't be back until Spain due to his WEC commitments.
  • TheSubaru2012TheSubaru2012 Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ant won't be back until Spain due to his WEC commitments.

Here's the tweet for proof:

https://twitter.com/antdavidson/status/577189249587503104
  • am1969am1969 Posts: 311
    Forum Member

Ratings are bound to fall of the edge of the cliff this season with everyone talking about how boring and dull the season opener was. I was actually thinking about getting a day pass to watch it on Now TV but not now! (Sorry about the pun) :D

Can only hope it will improve soon.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some facts and figures from Bernie's favourite shill, Christian.

http://mag.gpweek.com/#folio=30
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nice find there dansus
    Jp
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Extraordinary comments from Coulthard on the BBC website supporting engine equalisation, I think it's untenable for a paid employee of a F1 team to also be the BBC's main pundit, but then I've thought that since he started in 2009 and nothing has been done.
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extraordinary comments from Coulthard on the BBC website supporting engine equalisation, I think it's untenable for a paid employee of a F1 team to also be the BBC's main pundit, but then I've thought that since he started in 2009 and nothing has been done.

Could be worse, he could be in a management role at a team like RTL's Niki Lauda. Nonetheless, I think both generally manage to remain just about neutral enough in their analysis.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely can't be too difficult to dig back through time and find an article of DC saying that the rest should shut up about Red Bull's dominance and just work harder to catch them, though, I'd have thought!

I suppose there is the side issue of the BBC (and Sky) not wanting a total Merc cakewalk, because people will turn off - even if the Hamilton/Rosberg battle is as good as last year.

Also have to laugh about Horner bitching about it now being "an engineer's formula" - yes because before it was only about extremely technical aerodynamic and computer simulation design, any old moron could do that.
  • EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    With the German GP looking less likely every day, does anyone know the impact this could have on the TV deal, it would leave an odd number of races, and in seasons where this has happened previously Sky have had the extra race. But the German Gp is a BBC highlights race, so the Beeb would have more live than Sky exclusive if the race was to be lost. So, would the BBC have to forfeit one? Or could it be carried over to next season?
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member

Although it would make no logical sense for him to be a smaller fish in a more crowded pond, pundit wise, with less people watching than on the BBC, I've always been hoping one of these days that the permanent "coulthard to Sky" rumours would come off and we'd be shot of him.

I hope as soon as Button retires DC'll be booted back down to a solely analyst role on the BBC and Button will be put into the commentary box.
    (Though, again it'll be hard for Jenson to turn down the larger retainer Sky will presumably offer him. Or he'll want to go run marathons for a few years or something...)
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member

He's actually an ambassador for both Red Bull and Mercedes
  • pzboyzpzboyz Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RBR need to get their heads down and develop the car, really very simple.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    am1969 wrote: »
    Ratings are bound to fall of the edge of the cliff this season with everyone talking about how boring and dull the season opener was. I was actually thinking about getting a day pass to watch it on Now TV but not now! (Sorry about the pun) :D

Can only hope it will improve soon.
    For me the next race in Malaysia could be a turning point, if Mercedes fly of into the distance in procession and we don't get much action from the chasing cars then I could see people writing of the rest of the season as a pretty predictable one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the 0, but weren't the drivers all with a 'yellow colour' beside due to the yellow flags/safety car that was out.

I don't believe the yellow colour was intentional as yellow is used for Lotus!
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    IMO, if Red Bull pull their two teams out of the sport, then they should sell them to a company that has experienc/genuine links either in Motor Racing or the automotive industry in general, not another ****ing drinks company or the personal vanity project of it's buyer...
This discussion has been closed.