F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• jdn123jdn123 Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Never met him, but as far as I know he's been doing BBC Local Radio for quite a few years now covering football. He's wanted to get into motorsport, but I believe this MAY be his first racing gig. I don't think he's part of FOM.

This could all be wrong...
  • cocarrollcocarroll Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all this talk about camera shots, I though I would add my 2 cents. FOM do need to vary the shot types. I love the heli shots (as long as there is not too much of them). I love the tight shots cut together quickly (as long as there is not too much of them). I love the medium sized shots which may or may not have ads in them (as long as there is not too much of them) ... MIX IT UP!!

For the close-up quick cutting, do something like Fox do for Nascar with their Crank It Up section. Commentary stops, and the camera shots change to shots that give you a feel of the speeds - static cameras at the side of, and embedded into, the track. The lap from Monaco was amazing, but I couldn't watch it for more than one lap! Of course, this kind of close-up is easier in Monaco, because they are next to the track, rather than being on a very long lens at the edge of a huge run-off area. (Embarrassingly, I found myself looking for the Zepter ad above the exit of the tunnel :o)

A bit of a shake up would be good.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jdn123 wrote: »
    Never met him, but as far as I know he's been doing BBC Local Radio for quite a few years now covering football. He's wanted to get into motorsport, but I believe this MAY be his first racing gig. I don't think he's part of FOM.

Lets see how he goes, sure it will be fine.
  • hobnob_monsterhobnob_monster Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jdn123 wrote: »

Thanks for the Jacques info, Jack.
  • Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who was covering her spot on Business news the other day? Tuesday I think...
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um, what? Unless you've posted in the wrong thread, Stereophonic, please explain yourself!!
    Elsewhere, any other Beeb watcher going to watch Formula 1 Rewind on BBC Two later today at 3PM?
    F1 Broadcasting Blog says:
    "On the brighter side, the new F1 Rewind show on BBC Two begins on Friday, as Suzi Perry and Murray Walker look back at classic F1 races, the first episode focusses on classic championship deciders."
    https://f1broadcasting.wordpress.com/tag/bbc-f1/
  • DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,310
    Forum Member
    Still the same old boring graphics for GP2, although it looks like they're now in 16:9.

Oh, hang on, we finally have a timing tower! We've only waited 11 years.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Practice 1 is on shorty on Sky Sports F1 and BBC Red Button at 11:55, Only really for the diehard fan as casuals won't bother until qualifying.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    The new guy on GP2 commentary (Alex Jacques) had a few nervous jitters at the start of practice but I think overall did a decent job.

He seems to be quite knowledgeable about the sport, GP2 & the drivers so I think once he gets a few races under his belt to settle in & especially when he has someone alongside him during races (Jolyon Palmer this weekend) I think he's going to be a good replacement for Will Buxton.

Nice to see them ditch the 4:3 safezones & make use of the full 16:9 frame, Also fantastic that we now have a timing tower which will make qualifying much easier to follow. However there was yet another FOM graphics failure during the session.
    The GP2 website also seems to be sticking with the old java based timing app which is a shame as it doesn't work right, Would have been nice if they adopted what they now have on the F1 website.

However seeing DRS on GP2 cars makes me so sad :cry:

Coming back to F1, A reminder that the OnBoard, Pit-Lane, Timing & Tracking feeds will be up on the BBC website for all sessions this weekend:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/32103079
  • LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Update to the F1 app in the app store with improvements to the "Live pause and race-pack replay"

Still loses all commentary in the commentary section though and team radio when you pause >:(

I wish their f1 access website played the team radio as it came in rather than you having to press play
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,462
    Forum Member
    The GP2 website also seems to be sticking with the old java based timing app which is a shame as it doesn't work right, Would have been nice if they adopted what they now have on the F1 website.
    Given that GP2 & GP3 are self-promoted, and aren't promoted by FOM - aside from filming the events, I doubt that will happen. GP2 & GP3 have nothing to do with F1 from a promotional point of view. Doesn't mean to say that they couldn't do their own system inspired by F1's of course.
  • mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    GP2 & GP3 have nothing to do with F1 from a promotional point of view.

That's a pretty outrageous comment, even by your standards.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    LiamCarbin wrote: »
    Update to the F1 app in the app store with improvements to the "Live pause and race-pack replay"

Still loses all commentary in the commentary section though and team radio when you pause >:(

I wish their f1 access website played the team radio as it came in rather than you having to press play

If you enter a delay of, say, 5 seconds, does it continue to "slide" backwards gradually? Before the delay would always increase slowly, requiring constant manual intervention to adjust it back to the desired value.
    Forum Member
    That's a pretty outrageous comment, even by your standards.
    Well from a business/organisational point of view, F1 has nothing to do with GP2 or GP3. The only promotional stuff F1 does on behalf of GP2 & GP3 is film the events when they're on the same bill. You don't see "Formula One Management" anywhere on GP2's stuff. They're their own series, independent of F1. Yes, Briatore and Ecclestone were involved in devising the series's concept, but they don't run it. The main founder and CEO is Bruno Michel.

Look at their website. Absolutely no resemblance to F1's - past or present.
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you enter a delay of, say, 5 seconds, does it continue to "slide" backwards gradually? Before the delay would always increase slowly, requiring constant manual intervention to adjust it back to the desired value.

I delayed it 6 seconds, started it again and it jumped to -25641584 seconds. Still completely useless crap this app
    Forum Member
    racefreak wrote: »
    I delayed it 6 seconds, started it again and it jumped to -25641584 seconds. Still completely useless crap this app
    I highly doubt the *entire* app is "completely useless", although one has to admit after several years (for me, the time delay has never been perfect ever since 2012 or whenever they added that feature), the guys at SoftPauer have come no closer to solving the issue.
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's useless if you can't sync it to the tv pictures. But for practice 2 the delay worked perfectly for the first time since 2013 for me. Here's hoping it stays this way and they don't screw it up again in future updates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Commentary was good in gp2 from the new guy.
    Very different from the Buxton era, but he did a good job and seems to have done his background homework.

DRS in gp2, not sure about that.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who was covering her spot on Business news the other day? Tuesday I think...

Wrong thread, but I believe Victoria Fritz is likely to be the answer you're looking for!
  • n_a1n_a1 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    The 2008 footage in the F1 Rewind looked like it was ripped from somebodies
    youtube channel and re-encoded to below 360p, talk about blocky garbage.
    Don't FOM have access to DVD quality copies of races that where shown on ITV?
    Forum Member
    LiamCarbin wrote: »

The commentary on the app is so unreliable, works, gets cleared and yes messy when stalled. The latest app improvements are saying changes were made there...
    What's New in Version 7.062
    > Live pause and race-pack replay improvements
    > Improved commentary handling
    > Navigation and usability improvements: moving around the app is now smoother
    > Stability improvements, including some especially for iOS 7 and more reliable joining of live sessions
    > Performance optimisations
    They have had a few months to sort it all out and its still very buggy.
    They had promised to combine the F1 access across devices, not happened. The free period has now expired.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Jacques doing a very out of place and monotonic reading of the gird line-up during the formation lap. Sounds like he's still doing radio commentary.
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    Alex Jacques doing a very out of place and monotonic reading of the gird line-up during the formation lap. Sounds like he's still doing radio commentary.

It was, but in the race so far he is doing a good job.
    Missing the over enthusiasm of Will Buxton mind.
    Probably always a good debut for your commentary is to do gp2 or gp3, its always action packed close racing to get your high and low voice levels on track.
    Ooooh and as I write a four car pile up.
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that horizontal position/gap graphic new to GP2? Quite nice, though glitching a little when pitstops happen.

I also notice the order positions appear are: 1-5, 5-9, 9-13, 13-17, 14-18, 20-24. The 14-18 is probably because that's how the F1 version works (same gfx engine and all that), but definitely needs fixing for GP2. Should be 1-5, 5-9, 9-13, 13-17, 17-21, 20-24.
  • DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,310
    Forum Member
    eladkse wrote: »
    Is that horizontal position/gap graphic new to GP2? Quite nice, though glitching a little when pitstops happen.

It is indeed. The positions are almost all completely wrong though, and it's been like that for several laps now.
This discussion has been closed.