Options

Is Blu-Ray finally but slowly kicking in?

rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've noticed over the last week or so that more "classic" movies are being announced for release on Blu-Ray later in the year - the Christmas build up. These include Star Wars, Jurassic Park, West Side Story, Breakfast At Tiffanys.

Do you think is an indication that Blu-Ray, whilst still more of a movie buffs format, is slowly building to crossing over to the general buyers?

The growth of Blu is a lot slower than DVD and I'm not sure it will ever completely take over but I think it's definitely here to stay.

I worked in BlockBuster over the period when DVD came out to completely replacing VHS. It was fascinating to see a format disappear and see regular customers invest in players as a luxury item almost - just like when many of us first got a video recorder in the 80s.

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope so. Loads of backlist titles that I'm hoping will come to Blu Ray soon.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    I've noticed over the last week or so that more "classic" movies are being announced for release on Blu-Ray later in the year - the Christmas build up. These include Star Wars, Jurassic Park, West Side Story, Breakfast At Tiffanys.

Do you think is an indication that Blu-Ray, whilst still more of a movie buffs format, is slowly building to crossing over to the general buyers?

The growth of Blu is a lot slower than DVD and I'm not sure it will ever completely take over but I think it's definitely here to stay.

I worked in BlockBuster over the period when DVD came out to completely replacing VHS. It was fascinating to see a format disappear and see regular customers invest in players as a luxury item almost - just like when many of us first got a video recorder in the 80s.

My local Blockbuster has moved the DVDs to the back and Bluray to the front of the store.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlockBuster are not the major players they were 10 years ago but that's still a fairly big indication that they believe that Blu-Ray must be fairly big and growing.
    The were hesitant with DVD especially in smaller stores so I'm happy they're going strong for Blu.
  • Options
    nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see prices coming down to.
  • Options
    VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blu-Ray is also now much better value for money.

Obviously you get the 1080p quality, but most films now come with a DVD copy of the film, a Digital Copy and exclusive features.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    yeah - i'm getting the blu ray bug actually buying up the recently released box sets of films i already had - alien anthology, superman anthology and lord of the rings extended edition, which i can not wait to watch over 3 weekends in the winter...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah - i'm getting the blu ray bug actually buying up the recently released box sets of films i already had - alien anthology, superman anthology and lord of the rings extended edition, which i can not wait to watch over 3 weekends in the winter...

Me too - I'm saving my recent boxset purchases such as Superman for winter days off.
    I've been buying Blu for about 2 years but am only just starting to replace a lot of my dvd's now that so many Blu's are very cheap especially online.
    Recently I've replaced Contact, The Fog, An American Werewolf In London, Carlitos Way and more.
  • Options
    not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BluRay come just a little too soon for most consumers to want to replace their still relatively new DVD collection with HD versions, and with new VOD services available on many different platforms, I don't see BluRay ever reaching the level of popularity DVD achieved.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have six DVD players, and three of them are Blu-Ray.

Its great to see prices plummeting, although a little slower in HMV, best bought online.

Watched El Cid on Blu-Ray last week, and it was superb!!!

Am not sure about 3D though, too expensive for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BluRay come just a little too soon for most consumers to want to replace their still relatively new DVD collection with HD versions, and with new VOD services available on many different platforms, I don't see BluRay ever reaching the level of popularity DVD achieved.

Agree it will never be at full DVD levels but in terms of disc based formats it's probably the last type we'll see as I don't see how picture and sound can be improved any more.
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    My take on it is that pre-recorded discs are on the way out so studios are quickly transferring their classic titles to Blu-ray in order to cash-in before the bubble bursts.
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the impression that Blu-ray discs have become cheaper over recent months simply because retailers can't sell them. That and the markup on them is huge, so they can afford to cut prices.

Amazon currently selling the Batman Anthology on Blu for £9.99.

I saw the Alien Anthology on BR,which has only been out for a few months, for £17.99 reduced from about £35.

Given the cost of players, you wouldn't be getting these prices on what's still a premium product if Blu-ray sales were healthy. Also, offering a DVD copy with the Blu-ray disc is just a rouse to increase sales and prices. How much would a one film 2/3 disc set cost if you could just buy the Blu-ray disc on its own?

The price of DVDs has shot up as well in the last year.
  • Options
    zacharysmithzacharysmith Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    My take on it is that pre-recorded discs are on the way out so studios are quickly transferring their classic titles to Blu-ray in order to cash-in before the bubble bursts.

Not going to happen- not for a very long time anyway.
    While downloads may appeal to renters the collectors who buy movies and pay £10 for them will not go for downloads or anything less than a Bluray quality recording so until very fast broadband is available widely and cheaply discs will continue to thrive.
    On top of that most virtually all downloads offer inferior picture quality and they don't even bother with HD audio - you're lucky to get standard 5.1 .

There are classic titles on Bluray in the US that are still not out here .

West Side Story is one I'm looking forward to and one of the few I will buy on day of release

Can't say I've noticed dvd prices increasing at all.
    Having been Bluray for nearly 4 years I rarely look at new release listings for movies on dvd and last time I did the new releases all seemed to be under a tenner which was a surprise
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression that Blu-ray discs have become cheaper over recent months simply because retailers can't sell them. That and the markup on them is huge, so they can afford to cut prices.

Amazon currently selling the Batman Anthology on Blu for £9.99.

I saw the Alien Anthology on BR,which has only been out for a few months, for £17.99 reduced from about £35.

Given the cost of players, you wouldn't be getting these prices on what's still a premium product if Blu-ray sales were healthy. Also, offering a DVD copy with the Blu-ray disc is just a rouse to increase sales and prices. How much would a one film 2/3 disc set cost if you could just buy the Blu-ray disc on its own?

The price of DVDs has shot up as well in the last year.

I agree with you totally on most of your post.
    The one disc blu ray against a double play was tried out on a recent film, would love to see the sales ratio between the single disc version and the double play version, would guess it would be extremly one sided.
    The good thing is for us buyers is that new blu rays are coming down in price faster now then ever so its a case of waiting 4-8 weeks and a new film can be picked up for near on half price in some cases.
    Thats why is my view (and the view on many others as well) there will have to be a dramatic change in the way blu rays are sold, would guess a cheaper single play blu ray will be at the centre of this change to tempt more people into going blu ray to boost the market.

Next year is gonna be interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yad yada yada ..........................Next year is gonna be interesting.

Your post history would seem to show that's what you said last year.

As Blurays market has increased by 60% in the last year I'm not sure why you think it needs a boost.

The percentage of titles that get released as double plays and triple plays compared to single discs is quite small so your comparison is completely wrong .

And the number of triple and double plays has increased this year and reports from manufacturers say these are the releases that are boosting Bluray sales so you're completely wrong there aswell.

The number of TP/DP is set to go on increasing as film companies try to tempt those looking to go Bluray sometime in the future who don't want to buy dvd now knowing they may be double dipping a few months down the line.
  • Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want The Abyss to come out on bluray :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I want The Abyss to come out on bluray :cry:

It's on it's way.
    It was announced earlier in the year that Cameron was working on it so it might be late this or early next year.

I expect the UK Bluray will still be cut so we'll have to get the US disc again

The Autumn releases for Jurassic Park and Star Wars might eat up too many peoples budgets so they might delay some titles with similar audiences
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I agree with you totally on most of your post.
    The one disc blu ray against a double play was tried out on a recent film, would love to see the sales ratio between the single disc version and the double play version, would guess it would be extremly one sided.
    The good thing is for us buyers is that new blu rays are coming down in price faster now then ever so its a case of waiting 4-8 weeks and a new film can be picked up for near on half price in some cases.
    Thats why is my view (and the view on many others as well) there will have to be a dramatic change in the way blu rays are sold, would guess a cheaper single play blu ray will be at the centre of this change to tempt more people into going blu ray to boost the market.

Next year is gonna be interesting.

lol not this again. This is why every single person in the last thread disagreed with you. :D

Blu ray is doing fine. As point out in the last thread price lowing tends to be good thing.

Obviously depending on few other factors if say they bought large stock expecting big sales but dose not sell as anticipated then yes they would mean they can price drop.

Normally happens on release because after that they get understand they are going sell. Bigger the stock the more they can drop the price. They more they order the more its selling.

All my local supper markets have increased there capacity for blu ray.

Also stop deluding your self that most publishers will lower prices for single plays by more than a £1. Because they simply won't bother lowering the price dramatically more the dvd probley won't cost them a penny.

I agree with your first point.

However Picture quality can still improve. 2k hd 4k hd will be the future.

I think also some people just want physical collection. also blu ray quality has not been achieved yet on any VOD simply because streaming 25gb is just not a reality for most people. With virgin and other cable company's are avoiding small towns and rural areas It won't be for many many years.

With the internet evolving at slower rate than picture quality it might not be able to catch up. DD ( digital distribution ) might just have stand by physical media. Obviously this will affects blu ray being able to go beyond what DVD did to market but I don't think it will have massive impact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your post history would seem to show that's what you said last year.

As Blurays market has increased by 60% in the last year I'm not sure why you think it needs a boost.

The percentage of titles that get released as double plays and triple plays compared to single discs is quite small so your comparison is completely wrong .

And the number of triple and double plays has increased this year and reports from manufacturers say these are the releases that are boosting Bluray sales so you're completely wrong there aswell.
    The number of TP/DP is set to go on increasing as film companies try to tempt those looking to go Bluray sometime in the future who don't want to buy dvd now knowing they may be double dipping a few months down the line.

Oh yeah I forgot that report from the other side of the world :rolleyes: very relevant to the UK wasn't it, but back in the real world in dear old blighty we see online retailers reducing prices almost as soon as the blu rays come out and supermarkets reducing blu ray shelf space and in one case even considering stopping selling blu rays altogether.
    The blu ray industry in the UK is thriving isn't it :rolleyes: , The only winners are those willing to wait a month for a blu ray to be reduced. but all good things have to come to an end as manufacturers/retailers cant keep taking this sort of hit.

As I said next year will be the year of the Cheaper SP blu ray which will hold its price better then the DP/TP's currently do resulting in a stable market price wise and many more people taking up blu ray.
    Very simple really, its just a matter of when it happens not if it happens..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    lol not this again. This is why every single person in the last thread disagreed with you. :D

I think she forgot to add "...who are my friends and family" to that line
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah I forgot that report from the other side of the world :rolleyes: very relevant to the UK wasn't it, but back in the real world in dear old blighty we see online retailers reducing prices almost as soon as the blu rays come out and supermarkets reducing blu ray shelf space and in one case even considering stopping selling blu rays altogether.
    The blu ray industry in the UK is thriving isn't it :rolleyes: , The only winners are those willing to wait a month for a blu ray to be reduced. but all good things have to come to an end as manufacturers/retailers cant keep taking this sort of hit.

As I said next year will be the year of the Cheaper SP blu ray which will hold its price better then the DP/TP's currently do resulting in a stable market price wise and many more people taking up blu ray.
    Very simple really, its just a matter of when it happens not if it happens..

Only in magical land have they reduced blu ray space. Tesco for instance the big store. had that long long rack half of it blu ray and half dvd. Now most of the space is blu ray.
  • Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on it's way.
    It was announced earlier in the year that Cameron was working on it so it might be late this or early next year.

I expect the UK Bluray will still be cut so we'll have to get the US disc again

The Autumn releases for Jurassic Park and Star Wars might eat up too many peoples budgets so they might delay some titles with similar audiences

bought right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Only in magical land have they reduced blu ray space. Tesco for instance the big store. had that long long rack half of it blu ray and half dvd. Now most of the space is blu ray.

Not in any of the tescos stores I have visted and according to the assistant manager in my store he said a high percentage of tescos stores have reduced blu ray space to make way for more game space, guess yours must be very lucky to have increased it's blu ray allocation.
    We only have a blu ray top 20, sure it used to be a top 30 or 40, sad really but its just a sign of the times.
    When things dont sell the space has to be given to something that does, one of the rules of retailing.

Anyway we have done all this before a few weeks back, not getting into a 50 post argument again. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not in any of the tescos stores I have visted and according to the assistant manager in my store he said a high percentage of tescos stores have reduced blu ray space to make way for more game space, guess yours must be very lucky to have increased it's blu ray allocation.
    We only have a blu ray top 20, sure it used to be a top 30 or 40, sad really but its just a sign of the times.
    When things dont sell the space has to be given to something that does, one of the rules of retailing

I really doubt Tesco stores operate that way. I''m sure this is all made up unless some members on here can back up your claims.

We have a large rack for media blu ray dvd shared with each other for the last year this has been. about 50/50 when I went in on Tuesday with my sister I would say blu ray was occupying most of the rack.

Yes we have. I'm sure only reason you avoiding is because you know all your claims are stupid and not true.

Unless you can finally address the points I made in my other post in this thread that you failed to do for nearly 50 pages and kept bringing up the stupid switch theory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think there are more than enough threads scattered around the forum regarding Bluray and tv's to show that Geordielady lives in her own little world where the opinions of her family and friends represent the majority of Bluray buyers.

Someone who cannot understand that Bluray is a worldwide product is clearly not bright enough to discuss anything with.