Options

I know this won't be popular but....do you want Gaga to go back to the old Gaga???

mkirilenkofanmkirilenkofan Posts: 1,024
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As someone that has followed music from 2008 I have to say that 08 was a good year for women in the music industry.

Katy Perry was cool and young.
Adele was the new potential vocal legend.
Leona Lewis was potentially the new modern Whitney Houston.
And Lady Gaga was a new fresh faced music phenom and I absolutely loved 'Just Dance' and was keen to listen to more of her work.

If I remember correctly, she was different and not crazy (as some refer to her). When 'The Fame' was released, I LOVED IT!!

Then the clothes got very wacky and was entertaining for a while but now.......it's like go away and show us what you are really like please. I do not understand why you say that you do not wear sweat pants or ordinary clothes all the time outside the media glare.

'Bad Romance' was another good one but ever since then I have not enjoyed a single song from gaga. Sorry "little monsters" but I have an opinion.

I know many other fans of her old work don't like to admit how they are feeling about the whole 'Born This Wasy' era.

12 million + for debut.
Currently 3.5 million for sophomore and I think it'll struggle to reach 6 million. I do see a re-release soon or even album number 3 to keep her profile up.

Don't be to hatefull towarads me please. Give honest responses and no bitchy comments satin I'm a hater. I miss the original gaga.

Comments

• Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Well, I never liked Gaga in the first place. Ever since I heard Just Dance and Poker Face I hated the songs.

2008 was a great year for female pop stars. There was Katy Perry breaking the mainstream, and Lady Gaga shortly after. But also Rihanna, Madonna and Britney Spears were all huge that year. Not to mention the likes of Pink, Leona Lewis, Duffy, Estelle, and others had big hits that year too.

And also, I think that year was when club music, like dance pop and electropop really started taking off. Like Katy Perry released Hot N Cold, Rihanna released Disturbia, and there was Low by Flo Rida aswell.
  • Options
    purpleteardropspurpleteardrops Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I prefer risk taking Gaga to the Gaga that sang bubblegum pop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Personally, I preferred the "old" Gaga, meaning "Just Dance", "Poker Face", "Beautiful, Dirty, Rich" and the rest from The Fame. I recognize she has massive talent and I completely understand why people listen to her current music.

It's just that the "danciness" and the purer electronic vibe of her earlier music appealed to me more than what she is producing right now. And I won't deny it; Gaga rising from the pool in that black skin tight outfit in the video for "Poker Face" is definitely eye candy, something she hasn't achieved with her flamboyant costumes in her recent videos.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I remember the gaga from the pokerface/justdance era. She actually looked pretty, the outfits were only slightly weird and she didn't seem too attention-seeking. I actually liked and bought all her music back then. Before her fans became ' Little Monsters'.
    Gaga just seems so fake now, and her music is so meh. I was actually looking forward to BTW but on hearing the previews of it on itunes I decided I'd rather waste my money on something else.
    I hate to be so negative about her and it is just my opinion so please don't attack me,but I miss 'Bubblegum Pop' gaga.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm far to old to be a little monster and really only came in at The Fame Monster --- but I loved it --- It was a great album and was packed with great pop singles that could stand on their own

Having said that I think Born This way is actually better. It is darker more cohesive and for want of a better word more grown up. Unlike TFM though the songs work better within the context of the album and for me don't work so well as singles. Not that I find that an issue because I never buy singles anyway :)

IMO I think Gaga lost some of her younger fans who were not ready or prepared to move on from the Lightweight Dance pop of TFM but the change of style gained her a lot of older fans. Just my opinion of course :)

What she wears etc doesn't bother me. I like her music and her as a performer and as a person the rest is just fun window dressing to help create an image. It's just showbiz :)
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Born This Way to her first album..but surely it is just personal preference and you are allowed to prefer the earlier stuff its that is more your taste..I am also not basing the music on her fashion sense..but I do love the dance to Judas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True pop in 2008 was phenomenal! - Madonna, P!nk, Britney, Beyonce, Duffy, Adele, Coldplay had massive albums and added to the list yes Katy Perry, Rihanna and gaga released massive singles!

Do i want ehr to go back?? what would be the point in that! The Fame is done and dusted! Boring album and era, The Fame Monster was a step forward. And Born This Way is her best overall album, sure some fillery songs but i love dancing to it! I love the heavier metal vibes in it too! And the Madonna, Whitney, Springsteen, Queen and Iron Maiden and Kiss references through it!

All the best artists know evolution is what is needed for your career! Cyndi Lauper had the same sound for a decade and the result was too little, too late :( Hat Full Of Stars, Sisters Of Avalon became shunned away little gems! So lady gaga knows what she needs to do!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Not at all.

Gaga was never not "weird/crazy", it's only seen as more "normal" in hindsight of what she gets up to now, but she was still walking around like a cyber-tranny in an origami dress with cryptic Warholian schtick. I've been a fan since before she broke, but I only began LOVING her when she went all out in the Paparazzi 'era' and I've enjoyed the ride ever since.

I think she's worked herself out now, grown tremendously as an artist and person. In my opinion the music is in another league compared to where it was. The Fame had some fantastic singles, but it was ultimately nothing to shout about. What she did with The Fame Monster and Born This Way has impressed me, and it's only the beginning.

I've heard just as many people say they prefer her now to those who prefer her then, anyways.

I guess it depends what you want from an artist. To be perfectly honest, I think we've forgotten how to have a non-vapid popstar. Gaga is compared to Madonna positively too, because much like her...she pushes buttons. She isn't just "a popstar". If you want that, you're more than welcome to Katy Perry.
    12 million + for debut.
    Currently 3.5 million for sophomore and I think it'll struggle to reach 6 million. I do see a re-release soon or even album number 3 to keep her profile up.

What are you on about?

She's sold 3.5 at least (there's 5 million shipped) in the space of a few months. It was released at the end of May for christ sake.

She was never going to match her debut effort. Not to mention it's a combination of both The Fame and The Fame Monster. For Born This Way to sell 6-8 million (which is likely) before the year is out is MORE than respectable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I prefer the Gaga that actually has an opinion and a voice in the world and makes song with some true meaning and substance.

I've always loved the woman but if Gaga had remained how she first was then she could never have had very much longevity.
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Whilst I prefer the singles from The Fame era, I don't want her to go back - she's evolving and maturing as an artist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Just Dance, Pokerface (For a while) and Lovegame, Telephone was ok too.

But Alejandro wasn't great for me and the rest were all crap as far as im concerned :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, I liked GaGa the most during the TFM, I don't know if that makes her 'old' GaGa or 'new' GaGa. Her early stuff was bland and uninspired, for all her 'uniqueness' etc. she wasn't doing anything creative or different to hundreds of her peers. Her lyrics were also piss poor (if everything is everything and everything is over, LOL).

I think she hit her stride with TFM, thats when she became a force to be reckoned with artistically as well as sales wise imo. Thats when she separated herself from people like KP and Ke$ha and showed that she was potentially a great popstar capable of doing something interesting rather than releasing commercial crap which was a surefire hit.

I like BTW as an album (more than The Fame, which is a mess imo) but I haven't been feeling her videos or single choices as of late. It feels like she's lost her way/her spark, however it could just be that she's experimenting with different things, which I'm all for.

So, i if 'old' GaGa includes TFM, then yes, I want her to go back to that.

If not, then no because The Fame was repetitive and dull.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Yes. I prefer the old Gaga.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and,to be honest, it's getting a little tiring with people saying this. As much as I love the TF/TFM eras, she can't make songs like that forever. I like her more as a person now as well. She can be quite sarcastic and dry,which some people don't get, but she's also smart and seems to be a very nice person, who is grateful to her fans/Little Monsters. Her singles may not be hitting the top spot, but so what? The music is much better and I think she's entitled to feel proud of the work she's done.
  • Options
    JamieEastEnderJamieEastEnder Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Personally I think songs like Judas are a step down on Pokerface and Just Dance.

I think Born This Way has been below her usual standards and TBH nothing on Born This Way stands out. All of its been done before and better by many European dance artists. I think the only reason Gaga is hyped is because this sort of music has never caught on in America until now. But she didn't create this sound or this image. We have had it over here for decades.

Where she goes with her next album will be the decider of whether she can last the test of time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really I only became a fan this era and really songs like Poker Face and Just dance I found really bland there ok dance songs but they got old really fast. The fame monster was a step up but overall I find Born This Way to be a much better album overall and really you have to keep going forward and changing your style if you want to stay on top.
  • Options
    JamieEastEnderJamieEastEnder Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    DJames99 wrote: »
    Not really I only became a fan this era and really songs like Poker Face and Just dance I found really bland there ok dance songs but they got old really fast. The fame monster was a step up but overall I find Born This Way to be a much better album overall and really you have to keep going forward and changing your style if you want to stay on top.

Her style hasn't changed though. Her music is just the same as it was TF and TFM.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any artist can't move forward won't last. I hear people saying they wish Madonna would stay like she was in the 80's but I doubt a 50 year old dressed in fishnets and with cruicifixs dangling everywheres signing like a virgin would go down well. People get older and wiser and change as does their music
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Really, really not. I don't think I'd still be a fan if she was still singing about generic things. I'm so glad she's matured.
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her new stuff and prefer it to a rehash of The Fame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find comparing "old Gaga" to "Gaga" frankly ridiculous. She's been in the music industry for a while, but has only been significant for about three years; this is no time at all. You can look back wistfully at her "old stuff" when it's actually old; not when it was just her last album.

I liked some of the tracks on The Fame and disliked others. Same for Born This Way.

She's a relative newcomer, so maybe hold off on this thread for another ten years or so...
  • Options
    EE at HeartEE at Heart Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I don't get what people mean she has changed and matured?

Born This Way is just an extension of The Fame Monster...

Bad Romance - Judas

Alejandro - Americano

Dance In The Dark - Government Hooker

Speechless - You & I

So Happy I Could Die - Fashion Of His Love

Nothing really has changed... :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    I find comparing "old Gaga" to "Gaga" frankly ridiculous. She's been in the music industry for a while, but has only been significant for about three years; this is no time at all. You can look back wistfully at her "old stuff" when it's actually old; not when it was just her last album.

I liked some of the tracks on The Fame and disliked others. Same for Born This Way.

She's a relative newcomer, so maybe hold off on this thread for another ten years or so...

This post actually makes the most sense. More so than "OMG I WANT THE OlD GAGA BCK!!! I hate that she's singing
    about more than parties and disco sticks its too weird!"

Every artist who clearly wants to be in it for the long haul has
    to slightly change their style. Most of Gaga's songs are still dance pop, they're just gradually more lyrically interesting than
    they were during The Fame era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what people mean she has changed and matured?

Born This Way is just an extension of The Fame Monster...

Bad Romance - Judas

Alejandro - Americano

Dance In The Dark - Government Hooker

Speechless - You & I

So Happy I Could Die - Fashion Of His Love

Nothing really has changed... :confused:

Just cause a COUPLE of those pairs have kind of a similar sound doesn't mean they're not matured. And comparing Speechless and Yoü and I just because they're ballads seems kinda ridiculous.
  • Options
    EE at HeartEE at Heart Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Just cause a COUPLE of those pairs have kind of a similar sound doesn't mean they're not matured. And comparing Speechless and Yoü and I just because they're ballads seems kinda ridiculous.

You & I and Speechless are cut from the same cloth. What are you talking about?

Talk about being over defensive.