Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nico again proving that he's crap under pressure.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only caught the last bit of the race due to the football (less said about that the better :blush:). But well chuffed that Hamilton won and have to say that I am pleased that Kimi got onto the podium, no doubt he will do a few grunts later. :D
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Nico again proving that he's crap under pressure.

Vettel did the same thing, twice!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    So has Daniil Kvyat run over Mark Webber's black cat then? :D
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    the race pretty much demolished the ferrari have equal race pace with merc theory

they still have 0.7s in qualy and 0.5s in race trim

they need to get on top of the niggling reliability issues tho

RBR will be taking grid penalty's by mid season at this rate, what that engine 3 toast for smiley?
  • SmufterSmufter Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am pleased that Kimi got onto the podium, no doubt he will do a few grunts later. :D

His wife is nice isn't she.
    ;-)
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smufter wrote: »
    His wife is nice isn't she.
    ;-)

I think they are engaged not married, she's or was an underwear model. ;-)

Good drive by Raikkonen and a well deserved second place.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure the result could have been any better for Hamilton. Kimi took points off Nico and Seb lost out big time after his off. Ferrari's only (slim) hope of upsetting Lewis now will be to impose team orders as both their drivers look equally capable and really it's each other they're racing. Nico may have shown some aggression this racve but it's too little too late. Lewis clearly has the pace and short of a run of unreliability he's just going to extend his lead over the next few races until Ferrari get their engine upgrade in Canada. Then maybe we'll see some true competition but I suspect Lewis will be too far ahead by then.

Pretty shameless favouritism shown towards Ferrari by the stewards / FIA, not penalising them for the unsafe release of Vettel in practice on Friday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No points for McLaren after 4 races. Somewhere Martin Whitmarsh must be smiling smugly :D
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But there is talk of major upgrades for McLaren in Spain. I hope they can at least make Q2 consistently through the summer even if they don't get any podium finishes.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Just wondering...

Do any of you guys post on other motorsports forums?

It's mostly an intelligent, enlightened group of people here but I'm not sure DS is the best place to discuss F1 so I was wondering if there's another forum where I might hook up with the same folks.
  • moontidemoontide Posts: 1,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried F1 Autosport, formula, Racing Comments
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Just wondering...

It's mostly an intelligent, enlightened group of people here but I'm not sure DS is the best place to discuss F1 so I was wondering if there's another forum where I might hook up with the same folks.

Planet F1 forum, it very active during the race weekend. I always have one eye on the race and one on their race thread.

You don't have to be a member to read so you can look before joining.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Just wondering...

I normally use Autosport but as im a huge Ferrari fan i normally read the fan forums! I did use to have Twitter to get opinions but i thought it was too much of a Hamilton/Mercedes Fan Base!
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend staying far away from the Planetf1's forum. They rely on a lot of user mods who quite frankly, will use there mod status to settle personal issues with you. There's little or no oversight from the PF1 management on what the mod's do.

The Autosport forums are as good as it gets. The mods can be a bit crotchety and overbearing, but they tend to try and rise above personal issues.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tadpole wrote: »
    But there is talk of major upgrades for McLaren in Spain. I hope they can at least make Q2 consistently through the summer even if they don't get any podium finishes.
    Well they've changed the colour scheme, not sure if that will make any difference to their performance
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/32611280
  • TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grosjean's engine cover breaking loose at speed during free practice, looks like the fastenings failed, caused a red flag.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/9841419/watch-as-the-engine-cover-explodes-on-romain-grosjeans-lotus
  • Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    So Rosberg finaly does something and gets pole ahead of hamilton. If he lets lewis past in the race then it is all for nothing. Rosberg needs to have consistent good race pace and not make any mistakes.

Tell you what though nikki lauder didn't look very happy after qualifying.
    Forum Member
    So Rosberg finaly does something and gets pole ahead of hamilton. If he lets lewis past in the race then it is all for nothing. Rosberg needs to have consistent good race pace and not make any mistakes.

Tell you what though nikki lauder didn't look very happy after qualifying.

He still wont be able to keep Hamilton behind.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scuderia92 wrote: »
    He still wont be able to keep Hamilton behind.

Well he did. It's a shame that Lewis had the poor start otherwise it would have been good to see how Rosberg handled having Lewis behind
    Forum Member
    Not much hope for F1 in that race. It's fine for Nikki Lauder to say hahaha Ferrari were still 46s away you can understand his point of view but for the fans it means the racing stays bad.

Strange that Hamilton struggled to pass Vettel when he had so much extra pace. Problem with Spain is it is so hard to follow another car around the last courner. Not sure if hamilton was happy to settle for 2nd. A scruffy weekend for him rattled by not doing an easy pole to flag win.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Getting harder and harder to accept that McLaren's only problem is a halfassed engine.

Seems like they've forgotten how to build a car.

Says a lot that both Button and Alonso used the word "scary" to describe it's handling.
    Forum Member
    Mclaren's upgrade appears to have back fired. Apparently this is highly likely if you try and over integrate the engine and chassi. Any change to one affects the other. It makes engine and areo upgrades near impossible.

Mclaren should have made a more simple car for Honda to get the engine right with out having to many other constraints. It would not matter if the packaging was not optimum this year. They could still take the areo gains next year with data about the engine to hand.

Kimi has made comments that Ferrari ran two cars this weekend to do a back to back test. So they may mix and match the best of old and new components at the next GP.
    Forum Member
    Well he did. It's a shame that Lewis had the poor start otherwise it would have been good to see how Rosberg handled having Lewis behind

As soon as Hamilton is close to Rosberg, He bottles it and lets Hamilton go past
    Forum Member
    Not much hope for F1 in that race. It's fine for Nikki Lauder to say hahaha Ferrari were still 46s away you can understand his point of view but for the fans it means the racing stays bad.

Strange that Hamilton struggled to pass Vettel when he had so much extra pace. Problem with Spain is it is so hard to follow another car around the last courner. Not sure if hamilton was happy to settle for 2nd. A scruffy weekend for him rattled by not doing an easy pole to flag win.

This track was always going to show the deficiencies in the Ferrari Car. Merc were strong here in the testing and now in race trim. I think the engine deficit is still about 0.4 a lap.

I am not expecting much from Monaco for Ferrari but i am excited for Canada when we use some engine tokens!

I think the team should have switched Vettel to the 3 stop to even try and cover Hamilton but i doubt it would have worked because Hamilton made mince meat of Kimi and then the next lap Hamilton set the fastest lap of the race so i would have expected him to be long gone even if Vettel had boxed the next lap.