Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, it's a bloody riot.

They should have let it cook...

the toothbrush, the comedy red plate and two very different tins are cooking for the banquet apparently
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    are you hanging out with a lot of chefs?;):D:D *puts dinner in a tin and serves on a comedy red plate*

I think I must have been watching too many! :D:D
  • saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the brief this year was unwise. Chefs as a breed are noted for being intense and highly-strung, neither of those being characteristics associated with humour and playfulness.

Usually they can ignore the brief and be reasonably close to whichever grandiose notion the series has come up with, (The idea of 'Olympian' food was such nonsense. Most of those people live on austere diets to suit their sport, and fantasise about Big Macs. All that gastronomy was wasted on them.)

A humorous brief was exactly calculated to expose the chefs for the uptight self-obsessives they have to be. No wonder the editing calls for lots of shots of the judges laughing madly if unconvincingly. They're having to supply all the humour the chefs have failed to achieve.
    Forum Member
    I think I must have been watching too many! :D:D

yes there should be a health warning on this series, i seem to get very grumpy watching it this year!! :o
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fairness to Richard, he did say his dish wasn't humerous, and the red dish was just a nod to the brief more than anything.

Looks like he is going to walk it this year.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the toothbrush, the comedy red plate and two very different tins are cooking for the banquet apparently

*SPOILERS* :eek::eek:

Are you telling me the tablecloth and nan's china are going to just miss out?

Pass the Valium.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pass the Valium.

They're sailing away into the sunset on an ill fated luxury liner wearing a red nose.
    Forum Member
    yes there should be a health warning on this series, i seem to get very grumpy watching it this year!! :o

I've not gone quite that far (honest!) but I am suffering from a Repetitive Strain Injury brought about by putting my head in my hands and groaning "Oh for goodness sake!" (or words to that effect!) on a not infrequent basis!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I'm not finding any of these inspiring this week.

Chef the Younger comes across as fairly unlikealbe

He's far more likeable than Mary Ann. she's creeping me out, and has a very nasty side to her. Far too many nasty comments about the age of the young'un.....you don't get to be a head chef at 19 without being very good at what you do.

Someone needs to hold her under a shower and give her a good scrub.
    Forum Member

Pass the Valium.

it was very close, but the toothbrush just edged out the tablecloth (due to its nod to the surrealist comedy of Edward Lear) and as Aggs has noted below
    aggs wrote: »
    They're sailing away into the sunset on an ill fated luxury liner wearing a red nose.

it turns out the comedy red plate was funnier than the titanic...for those not reaching the banquet runners up prizes of tumbleweeds are being awarded
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    It's been tragic this year, I have given up :mad: They need to rest this programme for a year or so.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    It's been tragic this year, I have given up :mad: They need to rest this programme for a year or so.

Let it be put to rest for a decade ,,,,,,, at least!

The whole Red Nose theme is tired and certainly some new ideas are needed for the future.
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »
    They need to rest this programme for a year or so.

No! :eek:

It's pure comedy gold! Just look at all the fun we're having on here! It would be a bit dull if it was just a case of "Oh, you liked the beef? I preferred the look of the lamb, but they were all excellent dishes. I wonder what they'll cook tomorrow?"

We've got turds, farting puddings, hilarious maritime disasters, rib-tickling crockery & table-cloths, side-splitting toothbrushes ... and now a mad woman! It's like Monty Python!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    One of the first dishes this series, if not the first one we saw, captured the notion of Comic Relief and that was the bath with baked beans.
    I think everyone would have got that connection to CR and charity fundraising in general.

The rest that have tried to get a brief have been on general humour (chicken & egg, chicken road, tongue in cheek).
    The exception was Richard's fair trade link to his dessert.
    Forum Member
    I am only asking on here as among you foodies you might have the answer. There used to be a chef from Bath that was always on tv but I have not seen him for a few years, he was like a big Viking and had a son who he used to be a roadie to. I got a feeling he has Eastern European ties. Anyone know his name and why he is not on t.v anymore?
    Forum Member
    Martin Blunos?
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Martin Blunos?

Ah that's it:D why is it not on tv any more?

Forum Member
    Dunno. Maybe he's busy with his restaurant with either going very well or not so good so is spending more time there.

Maybe he got a new agent/management that haven't got them the gigs?

Maybe he's not that interested.
    Got other commitments with kids or grandkids.

I don't watch daytime tv so not sure what progs he appeared on but remember him appearing on the live Good Food channel shows.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of Martin Blunos before. What programme was he on?
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Dunno. Maybe he's busy with his restaurant with either going very well or not so good so is spending more time there.

Maybe he got a new agent/management that haven't got them the gigs?

Maybe he's not that interested.
    Got other commitments with kids or grandkids.

I don't watch daytime tv so not sure what progs he appeared on but remember him appearing on the live Good Food channel shows.

Well thanks :D
    Forum Member
    Just reading his bio and the programmes listed are two or three years back, more in some cases and most have been cancelled.

I think Saturday Kitchen is the only one left.
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    This week has so far been very odd. Anyway, I have a whole set of plates, cups etc in different colors which is unbreakable. Some of them are red. Obviously this means my food is funny.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I'd quite like to give these dishes the comedy fish finger...

Quote of the series. xD
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    Gawd ! - has anyone actually smiled yet, let alone actually laughed?

This thread is funnier than the chef's offerings.

And am I alone in wanting to smack Luke right in the face.

It usually is but not when it's just a load of nasty, personal comments like the ones I've uneasily read about Mary Ann. Come on people, it's a cooking competition, not a beauty pageant.

I do agree though that it's a shame chefs with apparently far superior ability, and understanding of the brief - Tony Singh, Chris from Northern Ireland (who was shamefully robbed - comedy Titanic, what were they thinking?!) didn't get through.

I do love Jeremy though, every time I see him I think he must be Graham Norton's separated at birth Scottish twin!!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    No! :eek:

It's pure comedy gold! Just look at all the fun we're having on here! It would be a bit dull if it was just a case of "Oh, you liked the beef? I preferred the look of the lamb, but they were all excellent dishes. I wonder what they'll cook tomorrow?"

We've got turds, farting puddings, hilarious maritime disasters, rib-tickling crockery & table-cloths, side-splitting toothbrushes ... and now a mad woman! It's like Monty Python!

Oh yeah, the dishes may not be funny, but the actual programme has been hilarious at times, in a 'oh my god, did he actually think that was funny' sort of way - the turd, the comedy Titanic and surreal toothbrush will live longer in my memory (and not entirely in a good way) then many winning dishes that have gone before

Mary Ann is getting on my last nerve, couldn't give a stuff what she looks like, but her attitude stinks, she's out of her depth and I can't get passed the feeling she's auditioning for her own cooking programme based around her 'loveable old eccentric lady' act (she's not, she's just rude). Yes, I know they all do it for self/restaurant promotion, but she just makes me want to commit violent acts :o

I forgive Richard everything as he looks a wee bit like Heath Ledger and I love his accent :o (and The Little Chef as he's soooooo young, really hope he beats Mary Ann to cook for the judges)