The Great Painting Challenge 22 Feb

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think I'll give this a go on Sunday evening. I'm guessing it will just be a rehash of Watercolour Challenge which was on several years ago.

I don't mind Una Stubbs in small doses and as a bit of an artist herself, I think she'll be ok.

Wish they'd chosen someone else to co-present though as I cannot bear Richard Bacon. I still remember how smug he used to be on Blue Peter before he got sacked for his cocaine use. I saw him on something else recently and he is still very full of himself and talks but doesn't listen.

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bumping this as it starts in about half an hour.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think I'll give this a go on Sunday evening. I'm guessing it will just be a rehash of Watercolour Challenge which was on several years ago.

I don't mind Una Stubbs in small doses and as a bit of an artist herself, I think she'll be ok.

Wish they'd chosen someone else to co-present though as I cannot bear Richard Bacon. I still remember how smug he used to be on Blue Peter before he got sacked for his cocaine use. I saw him on something else recently and he is still very full of himself and talks but doesn't listen.

Hannah Gordon, used to annoy us a bit in Watercolour Challenge.
    She was always known by us as "tut-tut" because of her facial mannerism in some drama.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Seems like ideal Sunday evening viewing for me - looking forward to it
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive been looking forward to this
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I'm guessing it will just be a rehash of Watercolour Challenge which was on several years ago.

I used to watch that every time I came home from school, this new show does feel very similar.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this even though I haven't got a scooby about painting. Love Una, but wish they'd got someone other than Richard - he seems like an odd fit for this...
  • scarymary555scarymary555 Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I've tuned into see what it's like. ;-)
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    An hour of people rabbiting, don't mind setting the finished result but this is like watching paint dry! Ideal Sunday viewing for sending you to sleep
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how the paintings will be judged. Art is a very subjective medium.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, Richard Bacon is off to LA soon to further his career:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm always fascinated watching people paint, I'm very envies of them too as it's something I always wished I was good at.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Don't worry, Richard Bacon is off to LA soon to further his career:o

really?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the ones they've been criticising and don't really like the ones they've been complimenting...
    Forum Member
    Not over keen on any of them but hoping for better things later. :)
    Forum Member
    Like his rose!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the judges are being a bit overly harsh :S
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Think the judges are being a bit overly harsh :S

Yes, I don't like the judging at all. If I were an artist, I'd be really annoyed and force myself to start painting the way that the judges want - which is surely the opposite of art!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Yes, I don't like the judging at all. If I were an artist, I'd be really annoyed and force myself to start painting the way that the judges want - which is surely the opposite of art!
    Artists have there own style, I don't think there is a right or wrong way of doing it. I'm no expert though, I just think they're giving out bad criticism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting and relatively inexpensive to produce programme, for Sunday evenings.

"Art is in the eye of the beholder," (Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin anyone?) so I'm not over bothered about comments from people like Richard Bacon, nor was I impressed with his own efforts. I'm sure everyone will have their own opinions of what they liked.

If this could get a few younger viewers off their mobile phones to do something constructive, then it can't be bad.

Una Stubbs is morphing into Mavis in Coronation Street.
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Why is Charlie Higson from the Fast show wearing that big brimmed hat??
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    I love watching artists at work no matter how good or bad they are - it takes some courage to put oneself up for something like this and it makes an interesting change of programme for a Sunday evening

However - I'm getting really irritated by Una's coy 'little girl' voice & did the artist guy purposely choose his shirt & sweater to co-ordinate with the delphiniums :p
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do the bbc name everything either the big this or the British this or big British whatever its just stupid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do the bbc name everything either the big this or the British this or big British whatever its just stupid

I guess it's a generation thing with broadcasters. It's used to attract the widest demographic.

Some give you a clue in the titles chosen.

You know a one hour documentary titled "The Hunt for (whatever) " means they won't find it, but they'll leave it until the last five minutes before they tell you they've wasted an hour of your life.

The introduction of a "challenging" time limit, seems a bit silly. We can blame "Time Team" for that.

Artists don't work to time, 'cept those doing caricatures of holidaymakers on the sea front.
    Some of those participating could have produced a better result with more time. Others could spend all day on it and it could end up worse.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got through to the phone call stage of this programme. I think I would have been a nervous wreck! Enjoying it so far :)
  • notlurkingnownotlurkingnow Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see the judges paint their version of the challenge at the same time because we don't know what their idea of 'art' is.

Some people are entranced by Picassos and Van Goghs whereas I think they look like a child has painted them so the judges could demonstrate their skill as a comparison.