Why do people get drunk?

12346»

Comments

• Banana HeadBanana Head Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arwen1972 wrote:
    I have absolutely no idea ..... I used to drink enough to make breweries panic about a shortage ..... but then one day I realised that getting drunk makes me look like a twat, become over-emotional, break the bank, make me feel like shite the next day etc etc. And when you are drunk, you are not the social butterfly that you think you are, you are an idiot that people laugh AT not WITH ........ I've been tee-total for over 10 years now and have a much better time without. And I still go out 'drinking' with my friends, I just opt for coke instead.

But then, thats just my opinion :)

Everything you have said here I agree with, I have been wanting to give up drinking for some time now for the exact reasons you have stated. I don't agree that drinking makes you more sociable, and quite often the people who become more more 'confident' are usually talking sh1t, including myself!

This doesn't apply to the occasional drinker, I only wish I could stop at the second glass of wine.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, you're referring to some under 18s...? I don't protest at all. I just try my luck, and if I don't get in, I don't make any trouble...I just go somewhere else.
    But might I ask, WHY do you even try? You are underage and so should not be entering a club unless it is a designated under-18s event.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But might I ask, WHY do you even try? You are underage and so should not be entering a club unless it is a designated under-18s event.

Because it's fun - there's music, and dancing, and laughing. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member

have you never broken the law Mark?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's fun - there's music, and dancing, and laughing. :)
    But you still shouldn't be there - I don't see how saying something is "fun" justifies breaking the law.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maimou wrote:
    have you never broken the law Mark?
    If you want to get very pedantic, then yes, I probably have broken the law at some point in my life, but I I can honestly say I have never set out to do so. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you still shouldn't be there - I don't see how saying something is "fun" justifies breaking the law.

The way I see it, I'm not going to be significantly more mature in 13 days than I am just now. Just like I'm not much more mature just now than I was 3 months ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Why do people get drunk?

have you seen the wife :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    The way I see it, I'm not going to be significantly more mature in 13 days than I am just now. Just like I'm not much more mature just now than I was 3 months ago.

Absolutely - I didn't start making sensible decisions involving drinking/smoking/sex etc.. until I was in my early twenties but the law had been letting me make my mistakes for a long time by then.
  • Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    Did you hear about the drunk who thought Alcoholics Anonymous meant drinking under an assumed name?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its a given fact that underage people are going to try to enter clubs. Under 18s have been going to pubs for yeaaaaaars so its only logical the next step is a club!

I dont think they really have the mentality of "im going to go out and break the law tonight by going to a club" more along the lines of "i want to have fun and pretend to be a "grown-up" for the night"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, back onto the subject. I think people get drunk because of stress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    (Stemming slightly from the "things you don't 'get'" thread, and the one in chatter asking if anyone's drunk. :))

Can I ask - why? Why do people make it their goal to get drunk of a night? What is the appeal and what do you hope to achieve by it? :confused:

Because it is good fun for me. I enjoy it. My stomach the next day doesen't, though.

I do not understand why people want to get up on a Sunday morning and play football.... but each to their own I guess
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Strict wrote: »
    Oh, back onto the subject. I think people get drunk because of stress.

There must be more recent threads than ones from 2005.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    There must be more recent threads than ones from 2005.

Only just noticed the date lol

I wonder how many times I have been drunk since the thread was started?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just noticed the date lol

I wonder how many times I have been drunk since the thread was started?

Too many Lady, are you still drunk from last night?? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBeeN wrote: »
    Too many Lady, are you still drunk from last night?? :D

I managed to stay relatively sober lol.

I have not been well over the last week and after a big meal last night I could not stomach drink and went to bed because I felt ill :eek:

So now I feel ill without a hangover, which is a complete waste of illness really. All the pain without the pleasure:D
  • LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably, a better question(s) would be:
    Why do people:
    Enjoy having headaches?
    Destroy their liver?
    Destroy their brain cells?
    Want to be incredibly boring?
    ..and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have often wondered this myself. I hear about young people who meet-up and someone's house and down a bottle or two of cheap vodi before they go out drinking. I know scocial interaction has changed since I was a lad (1970's) but I seems quite alien to me that young people (not exclusively but often) feel the need to drink so much booze so they can 'play'
    In some cases it is clearly because they have had this example set by 'soap opera's and drama's' on TV or 'parental poor exampling' but It seems difficult to find a satisfactory answer to why thay do it.
    As for the reason people 'generally' drink to get drunk I have never done it. I hate the feeling of the world spinning and falling over, I can't stand (no pun intended) the feeling of not being in control of my mind or body. Don't get me wrong I'm not a prude, I have been drunk a few times but I can honestly say I have never 'needed to' get drunk, and I have 'never planned to get drunk'
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I have never understood this myself I just don't see the point as from my experiences all it does is cause problems
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, old thread alert.

For the record, the question and any follow-up responses by myself no longer reflect my views.
  • bgtensionbgtension Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need the toilet.....that'll be the lager from last night:D
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll likely cause controversy here, but I never drink unless I intend to get drunk (quite rarely). If I'm not planning on gettting drunk I don't see the appeal of alcohol when I could save my money and drink Coke.

I can enjoy myself without drink, but some occasions are just more fun - its definately about the inhibitions thing for me.

Ditto.