Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk of the IOW ferry reminds me that I met David Icke on the Red Funnel ferry. He sat next to me and bought me a cup of tea! It was when he was LibDem before his conversion! Nice man!

I also met Alan Titchmarsh in M&S in Newport and he was fine.
  • burbsburbs Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping to meet Alan Davies, Bill Bailey, Jeremy Hardy, Alan Carr, Bryan Ferry, Heaven 17, Spandau Ballet and Paddy McGuiness. Any stories?

As a promoter I've met both Alan Carr and Paddy Mcguiness.

Alan was backstage at an event and a nice enough guy, not quite down to earth but he was ok.

Paddy Mcguiness was brilliant. Backstage he was chatty and one of the lads. After the event he came along to the "kebab shop" before going back to the hotel. Excellent guy who we still keep in touch
  • burbsburbs Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanielle wrote: »
    He's just very rude and arrogant, everybody else was below him and may as well have been shit on his show. I've met lots of celebs in my time and always on a professional level (where they're being paid) and he is the one who sticks out in my mind as the worst. Proper childhood ruiner that was

I've also met him quite a few times in a professional capacity where I'm paying him (student night promoter) and I have always had a completely different experience with him, always been totally fine
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Talk of the IOW ferry reminds me that I met David Icke on the Red Funnel ferry. .

Surely he could have just walked across! :D
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Nick Jonas is alright, nice guy, a lot hotter in person.

Maisie Williams was having an off day I think.

Nick Luck, amazing, hadn't heard of him before, but such a good sense of humour

Russell Brand was Russell Brand, went through the audience taking photos with anyone who asked much to the staffs disgust :p
  • AnonandonAnonandon Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I've already suggested son of Swamp Duck (the husband's pet name for the mother in question) but I don't think it has been either confirmed or denied, as far as I can tell.

......confirmed.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Maisie Williams was having an off day I think.

To be honest when I've seen her interviewed she does seem to be quite precocious so it wouldn't surprise if that was her normal behaviour.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Hoping to meet Alan Davies, Bill Bailey, Jeremy Hardy, Alan Carr, Bryan Ferry, Heaven 17, Spandau Ballet and Paddy McGuiness. Any stories?

I spoke to him for quite a while after a show he did in Chorley (the year before last). He's great! Pleased to talk to anyone at all after his show. Going to see him soon in Southport too. Can't wait!
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Election time is coming up and I wonder how many people have met the major politicians. I did speak to someone who saw Harriet Harman at a Labour conference and she didn't seem comfortable with the hoi polloi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he was trying to be warm, friendly and avuncular with children on Jim'll Fix It, it just looked so forced and unnatural.
    I used to work in hospital radio in the eighties and the chairman met Savile in Bournemouth and said he was totally false, spoke in superlatives and seemed totally bored when he attended an open day. Also he said DLT was a complete big head and a bore when he met him.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I used to work in hospital radio in the eighties and the chairman met Savile in Bournemouth and said he was totally false, spoke in superlatives and seemed totally bored when he attended an open day. Also he said DLT was a complete big head and a bore when he met him.

Neither of these surprise me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither of these surprise me.
    Savile, apart from the recent revelations, always struck me as a boring egomaniac. I can remember when he used to host TOTP, and he thought he was bigger than the groups he was introducing, same as DLT used to think he was bigger than the show.
    OTOH Carl met Peter Powell( seventies and eighties Radio 1) and said he was a complete gentleman. I met PP at a Radio 1 roadshow and found him a totally down to earth man who was interested in what I did and what bands I liked.
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I met John Lennon and Yoko Ono when they were doing their bed-in/peace thing in Montreal in 1969.

I was fourteen at the time. A couple of friends of mine and I happily ditched school that day to go downtown to the Queen Elizabeth Hotel to wait to meet him.

We were die-hard Beatles fans, and our favourite Beatle was John.

When we met him, though, it was like a slap in the face, a real wake up call, because he couldn't have been more of a jerk. He was terrible, insulting everyone...talk about his "peace". I later learned that he was into snorting heroin at the time. I was a naive fourteen year old and didn't know squat about that.

He was a dick, but oddly, Yoko Ono was very nice. She gets a lot of flak, but she was very pleasant to us, spoke with us and smiled. She was a gracious woman.

There are pics on a Canadian site of our meeting with John Lennon and Yoko if anyone wants to see. Let me know and I will post the link for you.

Back in 1975, a boyfriend and I were sitting at our local watering hole, seedy rock and roll dive, and Art Garfunkel was sitting at the table right next to ours. The tables in this joint were pushed together. He was sitting right next to me. He was there as a band that he was promoting was playing that night. He was very quiet, and focused on the band. During breaks, he just stared straight ahead.

One girl recognized him and approached him. She had a piece of paper in her claw, and a pen. "Can I get your autograph for my mother?" she asked him.

I thought it was a hoot! Her mother! :D Since Art Garfunkel was so quiet, I didn't know how he'd react, but he was very nice and signed the girl's paper and addressed it to her mother.

When the boyfriend and I left the club, perched on the boyfriend's motorcycle, almost ready to roar away into the night, I looked at the club's entrance/balcony as we were ready to go. Art Garfunkel was standing there, and caught my eye, and gave me a huge smile and waved at me.

Oh! I went to the Festival of Festivals in Toronto in '78, I think it was, and I got to dance with Donald Sutherland. Some might laugh, but trust me, this man looks so much better in real life than he does on film. He was wearing a black velvet jacket that evening, he's very tall, and his hair! It was shiny light blond. He looked fantastic.

We had to buy tickets to get booze. I drank a couple of screwdrivers, and my friend (same friend who was with me when I met Lennon) bet me that I wouldn't have the guts to ask Donald Sutherland to dance with me. Of course, I was up for the challenge, but I made my friend stake over a couple of her booze tickets lest I humiliated myself.

I drank another screwdriver and approached Donald Sutherland and asked him to dance. What a nice man, a perfect gentleman. He took me into his arms and we danced together -- to this day I can't remember the song we danced to. :( He was super. He asked me what work I'd done lately, as if I was in films. I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not. "I work at Traveler's Insurance company as a secretary!" I babbled nervously. He laughed in a mellow way.

Really nice man.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I met John Lennon and Yoko Ono when they were doing their bed-in/peace thing in Montreal in 1969.

I was fourteen at the time. A couple of friends of mine and I happily ditched school that day to go downtown to the Queen Elizabeth Hotel to wait to meet him.

When we met him, though, it was like a slap in the face, a real wake up call, because he couldn't have been more of a jerk. He was terrible, insulting everyone...talk about his "peace". I later learned that he was into snorting heroin at the time. I was a naive fourteen year old and didn't know squat about that.

He was a dick, but oddly, Yoko Ono was very nice. She gets a lot of flak, but she was very pleasant to us, spoke with us and smiled. She was a gracious woman.

There are pics on a Canadian site of our meeting with John Lennon and Yoko if anyone wants to see. Let me know and I will post the link for you.

Back in 1975, a boyfriend and I were sitting at our local watering hole, seedy rock and roll dive, and Art Garfunkel was sitting at the table right next to ours. The tables in this joint were pushed together. He was sitting right next to me. He was there as a band that he was promoting was playing that night. He was very quiet, and focused on the band. During breaks, he just stared straight ahead.

One girl recognized him and approached him. She had a piece of paper in her claw, and a pen. "Can I get your autograph for my mother?" she asked him.

I thought it was a hoot! Her mother! :D Since Art Garfunkel was so quiet, I didn't know how he'd react, but he was very nice and signed the girl's paper and addressed it to her mother.

When the boyfriend and I left the club, perched on the boyfriend's motorcycle, almost ready to roar away into the night, I looked at the club's entrance/balcony as we were ready to go. Art Garfunkel was standing there, and caught my eye, and gave me a huge smile and waved at me.

Oh! I went to the Festival of Festivals in Toronto in '78, I think it was, and I got to dance with Donald Sutherland. Some might laugh, but trust me, this man looks so much better in real life than he does on film. He was wearing a black velvet jacket that evening, he's very tall, and his hair! It was shiny light blond. He looked fantastic.

We had to buy tickets to get booze. I drank a couple of screwdrivers, and my friend (same friend who was with me when I met Lennon) bet me that I wouldn't have the guts to ask Donald Sutherland to dance with me. Of course, I was up for the challenge, but I made my friend stake over a couple of her booze tickets lest I humiliated myself.

I drank another screwdriver and approached Donald Sutherland and asked him to dance. What a nice man, a perfect gentleman. He took me into his arms and we danced together -- to this day I can't remember the song we danced to. :( He was super. He asked me what work I'd done lately, as if I was in films. I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not. "I work at Traveler's Insurance company as a secretary!" I babbled nervously. He laughed in a mellow way.

Really nice man.
    Sounds like you nearly pulled!!
    Forum Member
    Get your mind out of the gutter, you!

It was a nice dance!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also he said DLT was a complete big head and a bore when he met him.

It could have been worse... Travis could have done one of his rants instead. A very strange man indeed.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    It could have been worse... Travis could have done one of his rants instead. A very strange man indeed.

Goodness me, yes! DLT's self righteous puttings of the world to rights, which often lasted five minutes or more! Remember them well! He just seemed take himself so seriously and get so worked up, when he did that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A grade A bore, not very pleasant, like a few of the Radio 1 guys in those days, but not all of them, of course, I did meet Mark Page the same day I met Peter Powell, a totally down to earth man from Stockton who seemed pleased to be on home turf and happy to sign autographs.
    I remember a family friend who was in the RAF in the seventies at Leeming, which was where the pilots do their basic flight training, and he said Prince Andrew was a complete and utter snob who looked down on the ranks and only associated with the officers. He did meet Charlie in the late seventies on a visit and said he took time to talk to everyone from the squadron leader to the LACs on the base.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Must admit when I saw DLT at a Classic Gold event in West Bromwich nearly 20 years ago, he seemed pleasant enough on stage, but the only thing that springs to mind nowadays is that the station promotional pens they were giving out didn't work!
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    met Peter Powell( seventies and eighties Radio 1) and said he was a complete gentleman. I met PP at a Radio 1 roadshow and found him a totally down to earth man who was interested in what I did and what bands I liked.

A former colleague of mine also met Peter Powell at a Radio 1 Roadshow and said pretty much the same.
    Really down to earth and plenty of time to talk about music
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »

I've never met Mr Lennon, but everything I've ever heard about him has suggested that he was rather unpleasant person.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I've never met Mr Lennon, but everything I've ever heard about him has suggested that he was rather unpleasant person.

He had a cynical, snarky attitude, possibly an artificial construct to balance against Paul's 'Mr Nice' persona, but with some truth behind it. This resulted in some of the mean-spirited behaviour mentioned, but I think he mellowed a bit in his later years (Yoko's influence?), to the point where he would happily stop and chat to a fan and sign their copy of his album.
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, I was the poor soul who had to endure Titchmarsh on a plane. A truly awful man and I wouldn't wish him on my worst enemy!
    Forum Member
    He had a cynical, snarky attitude, possibly an artificial construct to balance against Paul's 'Mr Nice' persona, but with some truth behind it. This resulted in some of the mean-spirited behaviour mentioned, but I think he mellowed a bit in his later years (Yoko's influence?), to the point where he would happily stop and chat to a fan and sign their copy of his album.

That's possible.

He signed an album cover for Mark Chapman, though, didn't he? :( Still, Chapman was a lunatic. I often wonder if John Lennon said something or acted in a certain way that set Chapman off.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you may very well win this thread, Ann_Tenna - not only did you meet someone very famous but also whilst they were, in a sense, making history. In Lennon's defence he was off his face on Lord-knows-what at the time. I don't think he was a particularly bad person, but he was that unpleasant mix of self-important and self-hating.

Yoko, I've never actually heard a bad word about from anyone that has met her on a superficial level. Again, I don't believe the tripe about Yoko being a bad person at all. As I said earlier in this thread, I did meet her earlier this year after she hosted a talk about her new book. She politely declined photos and autographs, as it was getting late and she wanted to rush off to get some dinner, but the most surprising thing about Yoko is how shy, unsure and softly spoken she is in person, completely the opposite of what you'd expect from the media-fuelled "dragon lady" persona.

It's well known that Yoko is fiercely intelligent, manipulative when she wants to be, and has a marked talent for money-making and negotiation, but she has never come across as a particularly confident, extroverted person. She was also wonderfully self-deprecating both times I've seen her.

Sorry to ramble, but I find her an endlessly fascinating person - and I like her music, too. She's massively overdue a reappraisal.