Options

The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    With Rita I just meant Black Widow and her attending all the US events, at least she's out there. I've never liked jessie but to be honest it's nice to see her doing well over there, at least she has actually pushed for it, Alex is all talk - but has nothing to show for it stateside.

As far as we know she has no record deal, so she can't do squat there. Jessie has 2 hits there and Rita has Jay-Z+Roc Nation. It's a big difference. Alex doesn't make those decisions label wise. She can easily be on that side of the world, but getting in and getting to those events is a WHOLE other story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shoed wrote: »
    Mary J went to see the show last night, thats fab!

But did she get a picture? ;-) Like? It IS Mary J Blige yano...:D
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    But did she get a picture? ;-) Like? It IS Mary J Blige yano...:D

She did take a photo with her. Kevin was in it as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as we know she has no record deal, so she can't do squat there. Jessie has 2 hits there and Rita has Jay-Z+Roc Nation. It's a big difference. Alex doesn't make those decisions label wise. She can easily be on that side of the world, but getting in and getting to those events is a WHOLE other story.

If she doesn't have a record label she shouldn't have been telling people she was taking her music to the US. I know there's a possibility she was dropped but still.. She needs to Just clear everything up once and for all. At the moment nobody has any idea what she's really doing after the bodyguard other than a holiday. Hopefully it won't be too long, I'm eager for any music from her tbh, just not WDHG style
  • Options
    ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Cheryl talking nicely about Alex on ITV2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If she doesn't have a record label she shouldn't have been telling people she was taking her music to the US. I know there's a possibility she was dropped but still.. She needs to Just clear everything up once and for all. At the moment nobody has any idea what she's really doing after the bodyguard other than a holiday. Hopefully it won't be too long, I'm eager for any music from her tbh, just not WDHG style

Well at the time things were different, she may have been dropped since then, which isn't her fault. She simply stated her plan, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Shoed wrote: »
    Cheryl talking nicely about Alex on ITV2

What for?
  • Options
    djc_22djc_22 Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What for?

It was a documentary of Cheryl's favourite moments on the X-Factor thus far :)
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hoping Alexandra would be Cheryl's final act of the documentary, much like how Leona was Simon's on Monday. Very pleased she was although they should've shown more of her in my opinion. She was definitely Cheryl's most succcessful act to date (both in competition and out of competition).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at the time things were different, she may have been dropped since then, which isn't her fault. She simply stated her plan, there's nothing wrong with that.

Ok, we'll have to wait and see what happens.
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    I was hoping Alexandra would be Cheryl's final act of the documentary, much like how Leona was Simon's on Monday. Very pleased she was although they should've shown more of her in my opinion. She was definitely Cheryl's most succcessful act to date (both in competition and out of competition).

Cher Lloyd has been more successful than Alex tbf. They gave her a way longer segment as well.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    pjh8 wrote: »
    Cher Lloyd has been more successful than Alex tbf. They gave her a way longer segment as well.

I would disagree with that.
  • Options
    ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Cher hasn't been more successful then Alex looool she has only just sold four million, when Alex was at her peak Alex was way more successful in terms of sales though Cher has done amazingly way but flopped hard lately
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think one moderately successful hit in America makes Cher more successful than Alex. Alex has sold over 4 million records worldwide with 7 hits to her name. Cher's domestic sales are poor. Her debut album had modest sales while her second album tanked more than Alex's HOH. She's had only two top 10 UK hits and two other UK chart appearances to her name. Her US success is completely exaggerated - a top 10 album that's sold very little, a top 20 album that nosedived, one US hit and that's all. 'Oath' bombed despite relentless campaigning. 'Sirens' sadly never took off and nor did 'I Wish' despite a feature from T.I. and a lot of promo.

Just because the likes of Alexandra and JLS haven't made it in the States (yet), it doesn't mean they are instantly less successful than someone who has made a bit of a splash.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    It was more of a trickle than a splash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't think there is much point in looking way back at history.People could say the same about Shayne Ward being more successful than one of today's big artists. Even though her recent era was a flop,presently Cher Lloyd is still quite a big name in the US.Her debut US single sold over 2 million,album top 10 and she still goes to big award shows,signed to a pretty big label,sells out tours and is asked to feature on songs by artists like Demi Lovato who is doing really well where as unfortunately Alex is completely irrelevant in the UK and US music industry.Simon still uses Cher as an example of the "stars" X Factor has made (along with Leona,1D,JLS,Little Mix and now Ella) but Alex has been dropped from that list due to her inactivity with her music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't think there is much point in looking way back at history.People could say the same about Shayne Ward being more successful than one of today's big artists. Even though her recent era was a flop,presently Cher Lloyd is still quite a big name in the US.Her debut US single sold over 2 million,album top 10 and she still goes to big award shows,signed to a pretty big label,sells out tours and is asked to feature on songs by artists like Demi Lovato who is doing really well where as unfortunately Alex is completely irrelevant in the UK and US music industry.Simon still uses Cher as an example of the "stars" X Factor has made (along with Leona,1D,JLS,Little Mix and now Ella) but Alex has been dropped from that list due to her inactivity with her music.

Simon mentions Cher because it is in his best interests to since she is still signed to Syco. If Alex still was, he'd promote her and if Cher wasn't, he wouldn't promote her.

Yeah Cher is currently enjoying more success than Alex but we have to look back at history to judge overall success. Using your logic, Cher Lloyd is more successful than Mariah Carey. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    Simon mentions Cher because it is in his best interests to since she is still signed to Syco. If Alex still was, he'd promote her and if Cher wasn't, he wouldn't promote her.

Yeah Cher is currently enjoying more success than Alex but we have to look back at history to judge overall success. Using your logic, Cher Lloyd is more successful than Mariah Carey. :D

So why does he still mention JLS? :p I just don't think we can keep holding onto 2010...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why does he still mention JLS? :p I just don't think we can keep holding onto 2010...

You can't hold on to 2012 either. I'm not sure what you want to achieve here. Cher had her chance in America and she has blown it. Her album tanked and Epic clearly doesn't care any more.

Unless she gets a high profile feature with someone, it's not looking good for her. Her sales in the UK were dire, and much worse than Alex's debut.

Cher's debut album - 250k (that's being generous)
    Alex's debut album - 850k+

Plus Alex's singles sold way more than Cher's have. Don't forget, both Alex and Cher have million selling singles, Cher got her one in the US, whereas Alex sold 1 million in the UK which is much more impressive given that the UK population is like a 1/4 of the US.

With Overcome alone Alex blitzed Cher's career and that's saying something given that she didn't even have the international expansion that Cher had in her debut.

I'm happy that the X Factor hasn't forgotten Alex, the montage in Cheryl's show was nice, and she's featured in the audition room backdrop during the room auditions. Alex's time on the show and debut were just too big for the show to ignore and they know it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    You can't hold on to 2012 either. I'm not sure what you want to achieve here. Cher had her chance in America and she has blown it. Her album tanked and Epic clearly doesn't care any more.

Unless she gets a high profile feature with someone, it's not looking good for her. Her sales in the UK were dire, and much worse than Alex's debut.

Cher's debut album - 250k (that's being generous)
    Alex's debut album - 850k+

Plus Alex's singles sold way more than Cher's have. Don't forget, both Alex and Cher have million selling singles, Cher got her one in the US, whereas Alex sold 1 million in the UK which is much more impressive given that the UK population is like a 1/4 of the US.

With Overcome alone Alex blitzed Cher's career and that's saying something given that she didn't even have the international expansion that Cher had in her debut.

I'm happy that the X Factor hasn't forgotten Alex, the montage in Cheryl's show was nice, and she's featured in the audition room backdrop during the room auditions. Alex's time on the show and debut were just too big for the show to ignore and they know it.

Um I'm not trying to achieve anything? I'm having a discussion on a discussion thread if that's alright?

Alex had amazing success on her first era but now if you were to ask the general public,who's a bigger name than most would say Cher as people forget what Alex achieved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um I'm not trying to achieve anything? I'm having a discussion on a discussion thread if that's alright?

Alex had amazing success on her first era but now if you were to ask the general public,who's a bigger name than most would say Cher as people forget what Alex achieved.

It's an appreciation thread for Alex, not a discussion thread.

Even Alex's "flop" second album still did vastly better than Cher's second. At least she had 2 top 40 singles from HOH. Cher didn't manage to get even one single in the top 40 with Sorry, I'm Late.

Then there's Elephant which was a top 3 hit and sold 100k+, and her album also made the top 20, despite a lack of promo. Cher's didn't. So while some people may have forgotten some of Alex's achievements, it's still better than Cher who appears to be completely forgotten in the UK. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cher's UK chart career lasted about 9 months. People would definitely say Alexandra. All the general public remember from Cher is the annoying 'Swagger Jagger'. Alex was a major player throughout the whole of 2010.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just want Alex to have more success and release some seriously good music again. She's got to do her research. Find the right producers, and even unsigned, she can still release EPs and make them good. Many people do them. I also want to see her develop her own look too. I'd be interested to see how it pans out. She's got to be bolder. I just think she's scared of something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want Alex to have more success and release some seriously good music again. She's got to do her research. Find the right producers, and even unsigned, she can still release EPs and make them good. Many people do them. I also want to see her develop her own look too. I'd be interested to see how it pans out. She's got to be bolder. I just think she's scared of something.

Can you blame her though? She's been constantly torn to shreds by the UK industry and media for a good few years now.

I'm sure she became depressed during the HOH era, especially after the break up with Defoe. She was super thin, tired and her voice was strained and worn out. She hit rock bottom during The Voice of Ireland performance, it was her worst ever but looking back she must have been really struggling at that time. It took a lot out of her, she hid it well, but I think her confidence took a massive hit after that.

It will take a lot to get her back to her best. I'm thinking she's on a development deal at KWL right now. If you look at it, all the opportunities they are giving her are moulding her for the primetime in the US.

The US performances, meeting with all kinds of people in the industry, the Bodyguard role and the block of recording she did with top producers last year. Maybe the reason she isn't signed yet is because KWL is developing her and is preparing to get her signed when they think she's ready. This theory adds up and could explain the amount of money pumped into her time in the US last year.

I think a new label and a fresh start in the US could be exactly what she needs to get the best out of her because even now, I don't think we've seen the best of her yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, Alex is undeniably one of the UK's best vocalists so if she isn't signed again then it would be a complete injustice. I try not to get disappointed about it all anymore because it is what it is. I just really hope her next move (whatever it is) is in America and not here. :confused: