Laptop and vodka!

kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
Forum Member
Well I think I've really done it this time, not only did I waste a large glass of vodka and tonic spilling it on my laptop, but it was the last in the bottle. Lol

Now, I wiped up most of it, then dried as much as I could with my hair dryer, obviously, the key board is buggered, it was like a new language when I posted something on face book.

I thought I should unplug and wait a while to see what transpired and now, 2 hours later, it will not start up at all. Is it time to invest in a new one? Would you bother, as I have an iPad but do love my laptop. Is there any hope is what I'm asking you good people.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Comments

• MaccaMacca Posts: 18,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kareena46 wrote: »
    Well I think I've really done it this time, not only did I waste a large glass of vodka and tonic spilling it on my laptop, but it was the last in the bottle. Lol

Now, I wiped up most of it, then dried as much as I could with my hair dryer, obviously, the key board is buggered, it was like a new language when I posted something on face book.

I thought I should unplug and wait a while to see what transpired and now, 2 hours later, it will not start up at all. Is it time to invest in a new one? Would you bother, as I have an iPad but do love my laptop. Is there any hope is what I'm asking you good people.

Thanking you in anticipation.

It might be just sleeping off its hangover!
    Can you get into the laptop at all? If you can remove the back and try to dry it out you might be lucky. If not i think it might be time for a new one.
  • kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I may just try that macca, thanks. The blinking thing won't start now! >:(
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the laptop really is kaput, you should be able to remove the hard drive and copy any important data - music, pics etc. Ask any 13-y-o or in the DS computer section.
  • kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    If the laptop really is kaput, you should be able to remove the hard drive and copy any important data - music, pics etc. Ask any 13-y-o or in the DS computer section.

Yep, it's kaput I'm afraid. I've been trying to find the battery as someone said to remove it, but maybe I should ask that 13 yr old. Lol.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    The vodka probably didn't hurt, but sadly the tonic is likely to have been fatal. I knew someone who's cat knocked a glass of coke over a laptop. If you've ever seen how lovely and shiny coke can make a coin you can imagine what it does to all the copper in a laptop.

The solution, of course, is to drink your vodka neat...

It might also be worth checking the "accidental damage" clauses of your household insurance.