Options

AC Modem Router

WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there,

I'm buying a new Macbook Air that has the AC wireless standard so I thought it a good time to upgrade the router to something more modern too.

Can someone recommend a decent AC Modem Router for my ADSL connection. Ideally would like it to output on 2.4ghz and 5ghz so all my devices are covered.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more expensive Netgear units are hard to beat something like the 6300-100UKS AC1600.

If you are with BT then you can get their Home Hub 5 for £69 which is probably the lowest price for a decent ac router.

ASUS have a really good reputation for their non modem equipped routers but I have seen mixed reviews for their modem router.

If you have thick masonry walls look for a unit that includes beamforming, such as the netgear, as 5Ghz can otherwise struggle a bit with reception through solid wall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, will take a look at the Netgear one you suggested Michael.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, how much moving of data around your internal network do you do? For example copying big files between PCs or between PC and a network storage device?

Chances are those are the only operations that would benefit from a faster WiFi connection. You are very unlikely to see any impact on your internet performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how much moving of data around your internal network do you do? For example copying big files between PCs or between PC and a network storage device?

Chances are those are the only operations that would benefit from a faster WiFi connection. You are very unlikely to see any impact on your internet performance.

I have a NAS with music and videos on.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Widdy wrote: »
    I have a NAS with music and videos on.

Mind you if the NAS only has a 100Mb Ethernet connection that could be the bottle neck now. Then you'd have to upgrade to one with gigabit and then somebody will invent an even faster standard so you'll feel compelled to upgrade at even more expense :o:D

Think I'll stick to my current router, works well enough for me...

http://gentogenym.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tin-can-telephone.jpg

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Mind you if the NAS only has a 100Mb Ethernet connection that could be the bottle neck now. Then you'd have to upgrade to one with gigabit and then somebody will invent an even faster standard so you'll feel compelled to upgrade at even more expense :o:D

Think I'll stick to my current router, works well enough for me...

http://gentogenym.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tin-can-telephone.jpg

:D:D:D

LOL if only networking was that simple (and cheap!) :D