Philth's total 'invincibilty' destroys every storyline that he is involved in.

Comments

• spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still kind of like him though in the sense that the show wouldn't be the same!

Totally.:)
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Phil's defence, it was very creative and arts and crafts-y of him to fashion plain paper into wads of money like that. On one hand, it's a cheap and tired cliche of a plot twist, but on the other, a practical and inexpensive idea for those with kids this half term.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tptb give Steve power to change things he does not like. So if course Steve will want Phil to be top dog. Maybe its part of his contract. After all he is the highest paid on EE and one of their best actors so of course they would pander to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still kind of like him though in the sense that the show wouldn't be the same!

He is totally likable. People are blinded by hate so he will always be this monster. I think had Grant returned full time Phil would have been tonned down ages ago. I get the feeling tptb are keeping the Mitchell's strong through him now the main lot have gone.
  • pippy32pippy32 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    This is just the beginning of the story of Phil and Charlie's relationship. Clearly Phil believes that whoever is owed the money to is going to take badly to being conned and solve Phil's problem by getting rid of Charlie. Charlie was too trusting but that is because he is basically a decent man and it would not cross his mind that Phil would do that to Ronnie.

Charlie and, more significantly Ronnie, are going to realise what Phil did (and why) and I think that could well be the beginning of Phil's downfall. I think he has underestimated them.
    I hope so Phil deserves to be brought down a few pegs now. Thought the twist at the end was good as long as it strongly backfires against Phil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pippy32 wrote: »
    I hope so Phil deserves to be brought down a few pegs now. Thought the twist at the end was good as long as it strongly backfires against Phil.

Why would he obviously gave that money knowing what would happen. I think he'd be expecting a comeback.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would he obviously gave that money knowing what would happen. I think he'd be expecting a comeback.

but what if he really gave him the money and charlie switched it and is now 10k richer.

charlie will be a dead man walking phil and nick gunning for him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just the beginning of the story of Phil and Charlie's relationship. Clearly Phil believes that whoever is owed the money to is going to take badly to being conned and solve Phil's problem by getting rid of Charlie. Charlie was too trusting but that is because he is basically a decent man and it would not cross his mind that Phil would do that to Ronnie.

Charlie and, more significantly Ronnie, are going to realise what Phil did (and why) and I think that could well be the beginning of Phil's downfall. I think he has underestimated them.

It is nothing to do with him being a decent man, it was the fact he was desperate. It his is own fault for not checking the bag no one else's. And how do we know Ronnie did not switch the money or Charlie himself?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    but what if he really gave him the money and charlie switched it and is now 10k richer.

charlie will be a dead man walking phil and nick gunning for him

If Charlie switched it then it would not come back on Phil though. It would more or less backfire on Charlie if anything.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tptb give Steve power to change things he does not like. So if course Steve will want Phil to be top dog. Maybe its part of his contract. After all he is the highest paid on EE and one of their best actors so of course they would pander to him.

And that is wrong - no actor should have such power over those who employ him.

He is a total and utter joke and is damaging the show - everybody I know who watches just laughs at the thuggish old pig's total and utter 'invincibility'.

I want the Philth dead - the sooner the better and in the most painful way possible. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Charlie switched it then it would not come back on Phil though. It would more or less backfire on Charlie if anything.

I know hence my dead man walking comment :D

King phil will not be beaten :p
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he is only about 53, life in the old dog yet. young ben will take over in a few years.

phil can hire in goons like he did to sharon so he should still win :p

But he is 53 who had numerous injuries that must hurt when he lifts up his arms goes in for an almighty punch.

:)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    But he is 53 who had numerous injuries that must hurt when he lifts up his arms goes in for an almighty punch.

After all of his comas/gunshots/car crashes/addictions etc - I am very surprised he can still take a piss without medical assistance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm suprised they don't show it but I reckon Phil is a gym bunny, under that jacket is a rippling 6 pack. He's probably lucky he has recovered so well, I mean he got shot and recovered after a day that says fit as a fiddle to me :D
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After all of his comas/gunshots/car crashes/addictions etc - I am very surprised he can still take a piss without medical assistance.

:D:D I'm surprised he's not shitting out lost bullets.
    I'm suprised they don't show it but I reckon Phil is a gym bunny, under that jacket is a rippling 6 pack. He's probably lucky he has recovered so well, I mean he got shot and recovered after a day that says fit as a fiddle to me :D

Sharon did say that he had a stamina of an 18 year old in bed, Erm, more like an 80 year old, lmao :D
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,256
    Forum Member
    Yes. Just yes. It became a joke a long time ago. Now it is just ridiculous, insulting to the audience and undermining the credibility of the show.

If he was some big crime lord that had lods of minions to do his dirty work (someone like jack dalton) I could accept him still being such a feared and pwerful man when physically past his best but he isn't. He has always been low down on the the criminal food chain, relying on fairly minor cons, a smart, bent lawyer and muscle. Now the muscle has gone (both his own and grants) really what is there to be feared?
    Forum Member
    :D:D I'm surprised he's not shitting out lost bullets.

Sharon did say that he had a stamina of an 18 year old in bed, Erm, more like an 80 year old, lmao :D

When was the last time sharon shagged an 18 year old? Has she ever in fact? Her first lover was Wicksy and he was 22 or 23 by then. Followed by Grant and phil both of whom were nearly 10 years older than her. Ross was also about her age, ditto tom, John and now Phil again. Dennis and jack are probably her youngest lovers (in comparison to her) and they were both still 30s.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes. Just yes. It became a joke a long time ago. Now it is just ridiculous, insulting to the audience and undermining the credibility of the show.

If he was some big crime lord that had lods of minions to do his dirty work (someone like jack dalton) I could accept him still being such a feared and pwerful man when physically past his best but he isn't. He has always been low down on the the criminal food chain, relying on fairly minor cons, a smart, bent lawyer and muscle. Now the muscle has gone (both his own and grants) really what is there to be feared?

Being banned from the Vic and the Laundrette :D
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    Being banned from the Vic and the Laundrette :D

Which lasted all of a week!
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, it worked 10 years ago, when Grant had left and Phil was left a very angry, and lonely man. Everything thuggish came to the fore and he was a force to be reckoned with. The Who Shot Phil days highlighted the character perfectly (and check out a picture of Steve from them days, because he don't half look intimidating). Yes he was dangerous, but he got too big for his boots, and someone knocked him down.

It's funny how, if you think about it, the only man who ever beat Phil was Den Watts. Den knew Phil would destroy him in a fight, so instead he used Phil's ego against him. Phil loved Sharon for years, and had to listen to her bang on about how amazing her dad was. Hell, he heard it from everyone who knew him. So for him to feel like he was bigger than Den, than he was getting the upper hand and lording over him, was what led to his downfall. Den used Phil's underestimation of him to lead him into a trap he should have seen coming a mile off. I loved the Den and Phil feud.

Fact is, the Mitchells acting that way around Phil makes sense. With no Grant and Peggy, he really is the embodiment of strength that they are obsessed with having, otherwise what are they but just another family? Phil's money and reputation makes them feel better than they are. It's why they crowd round him, and why they are terrified of upsetting him. Plus, the likes of Billy and Jay (the latter still very much grieving for his dad) have had years of psychological bullying from Phil, and stuff like that sticks.

Yeah, it is ridiculous when the likes of Sean and Carl are beaten into submission by him. It makes you long for the Dan Sullivan days, where you had two very dangerous men working to destroy each other. Hell, why do you think they haven't had a Phil vs Mick scenario yet? They won't touch that with a sodding barge pole - Danny Dyer isn't exactly going to agree to getting beaten up, and Steve certainly isn't.

Despite all this, it's worth it for one thing; Steve McFadden remains one of the best actors in the show, and Phil one of the most watchable characters. So yeah, it's a bit silly, but it's still entertaining. I mean, what? Do you really want to see a neutered Phil?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I want the Philth dead - the sooner the better and in the most painful way possible. :D

I"ll see what i can do ;-):D
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    See, it worked 10 years ago, when Grant had left and Phil was left a very angry, and lonely man. Everything thuggish came to the fore and he was a force to be reckoned with. The Who Shot Phil days highlighted the character perfectly (and check out a picture of Steve from them days, because he don't half look intimidating). Yes he was dangerous, but he got too big for his boots, and someone knocked him down.

It's funny how, if you think about it, the only man who ever beat Phil was Den Watts. Den knew Phil would destroy him in a fight, so instead he used Phil's ego against him. Phil loved Sharon for years, and had to listen to her bang on about how amazing her dad was. Hell, he heard it from everyone who knew him. So for him to feel like he was bigger than Den, than he was getting the upper hand and lording over him, was what led to his downfall. Den used Phil's underestimation of him to lead him into a trap he should have seen coming a mile off. I loved the Den and Phil feud.

Fact is, the Mitchells acting that way around Phil makes sense. With no Grant and Peggy, he really is the embodiment of strength that they are obsessed with having, otherwise what are they but just another family? Phil's money and reputation makes them feel better than they are. It's why they crowd round him, and why they are terrified of upsetting him. Plus, the likes of Billy and Jay (the latter still very much grieving for his dad) have had years of psychological bullying from Phil, and stuff like that sticks.

Yeah, it is ridiculous when the likes of Sean and Carl are beaten into submission by him. It makes you long for the Dan Sullivan days, where you had two very dangerous men working to destroy each other. Hell, why do you think they haven't had a Phil vs Mick scenario yet? They won't touch that with a sodding barge pole - Danny Dyer isn't exactly going to agree to getting beaten up, and Steve certainly isn't.

Despite all this, it's worth it for one thing; Steve McFadden remains one of the best actors in the show, and Phil one of the most watchable characters. So yeah, it's a bit silly, but it's still entertaining. I mean, what? Do you really want to see a neutered Phil?

Spot on, I don't think Phil hasn't had a decent adversary in years to match him, I think the problem is with every villain/bully boy they do need to see some sort of comeuppance, one time or another to keep them fresh and on the ball, them coming out on top all the time is boring & repetive it's not engaging or entertaining to see a middle aged man being looked up on as some fearsome thug, because in reality he looks like a joke.

It needs to be accepted that Phil isn't the same as the one 12 or even 20 years ago, his not even in the same position.
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »

You make a lot of good points but the thing is that 10-15 years ago you could watch these Phil vs Dan, Den, Steve Owen plots with just a little suspense - there was an outside chance that they might get the upper hand for more than a month. Now, it just isn't the case. It is unrealistic in terms of how powerful or dangerous poohil would actually be at his age with no significant hard man entourage around him and it is dramatically boring. It emasculates every man from the age of 25 to 60 thet introduce, especially if he is brought in with a 'hard man' reputation and promise of 'facing off' to Phil.

I have doubts they'd have let Den beat him as they did if Steve hadn't wanted to leave at that point. Even then they had to do it by Den 'cheating' by throwing the gun down rather than just beating him one to one. Yes he was smarter, used his brains not brawn but it still sent out the message that in a 'fair' fight, Phil would win.

You say they've steered clear of Mick/Phil scenes for this reason and I think you're right but in fact, phil has already 'owned' mick and the Carters By not being challenged over the rising damp in the Vic and then threatening Shirley and Dean to get his loan back. Now we have them tiptoeing around because Phil didn't tell the Police about shirley shooting him.

Yes, McFadden is a great actor and i'd like to see him do something different. It'd be interesting to watch how a former hard man has to adapt to not being able to do it anymore, to being considered a joke by younger, fitter, smarter men and being 'owned' by them.

But they won't do it because they have this weird thing about keeping him on a pedastal.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philth still owns the Square.

I wonder if Phil has 'cottoned onto' the fact Nick is back?
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon's pitiful revenge, amnesiac decline into a Stepford Wife and the invincibility of Phil has turned me into this:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pO20qU-VwgA