Options

Why is everyone always complaining about fireworks/Bonfire Night?

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone ISN'T always complaining.
    Some people complain.
    Some people are miserable buggers.
    Some people get sick of the constant explosions for days before and after Nov 5th
    Some people enjoy going to organised displays
    Some people enjoy hosting their own private displays
    Some people don't complain at all
    Some DS posters should chill out a little bit....
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people complain.
    Some people get sick of the constant explosions for days before and after Nov 5th

No,no,no...you're not following DS rules.

You're a Libran, aren't you :D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Went to pick up a takeaway last night and there were plenty of loud fireworks to unsettle me. :(

It also got the neighbour's dog to yelp loudly. :mad:
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    People need something to moan about, Just think in a few weeks time we will have people moaning because most the shops are closed on Christmas day, and they wanted to go shopping
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What's most annoying about it is people setting off fireworks at odd times of the night. It can be really distracting if you're trying to work. I don't mind organised displays as part of an event but I object to neighbours setting them off for over a week before the actual night. Then dogs start barking as they're frightened. They probably wake up kids as well which isn't good if they've got school the next morning. Some people enjoy it but that doesn't mean everyone has to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand fireworks. They last for 5 seconds, make a loud noise and there is a flash of colour. I've never understood why people like them. Even when I was younger. Also, all the chavs around here have them, set them off in the middle of the night and set them off in daylight, just to have a laugh. Don't get them at all. And they upset my pets
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    we had fireworks every year when the kids were young..then about 9 years ago we got our dog who was a recue puppy and they scare the life out of her so now I sit in my bedroom with her cuddled up on the bed and the tv up really loud...they are not too bad at this time of year but at midnight on new year's eve they seem to go on for hours and not much fun with the hubby usually working on new year's day
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member

I see nothing wrong with fireworks being limited to organised displays.

This. And it should be trained people who are the only ones allowed to do it.

I remember being at a sporting event years ago and they let off fireworks at the end. I dont like fireworks at the best of times so it was horrible anyway. Half way through i thought my friend had jokingly slapped me around the face for no reason at all. He looked confused when i asked him. Later when i went in the toilets i looked in the mirror and my cheek was bright red and painful. On the way out we went past where i was stood and there was bits of firework on the floor. The only conclusion i could come up with was a bit had either broken off and hit me, or a bit of debris had fallen and managed to hit me in the face since i was looking up.

And that was at a suposedly organised safe event, i can only imagine what idiots are like when they have them.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Because it scares the absolute crap out of my poor dog.
    Also animals in rescue centres have no one to sit and comfort them and I've heard awful stories of scared animals injuring themselves :(

I see nothing wrong with fireworks being limited to organised displays.

Same here- my poor little fella- a placid springer spaniel- was dumped by his previous owners in a rescue centre in a built up residential area around the end of October- knowing what I know now, how absolutely terrified he is of fireworks, I would love to meet up with them and give them a piece of my mind:mad:
    To think of him being dumped by them at the very worst time of the year they could have picked and sitting in that kennel with fireworks going off all around him makes me incandescent with rage.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being an animal lover and I get annoyed when people let off fireworks before the 5th November. Someone on my Facebook was really concerned about her horse the other night. It's just dogs and cats they effect, think of the farm animals as well.

On the 5th and NYE people know the keep their animals in doors, for that reason I'd like to see fireworks kept for organised displays only.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I agree that fireworks are being let off too long before November 5th ( I'm pretty sure they didn't appear in the shops till the 1st Nov when I was a kid) and brainless cretins are letting them off in the early hours- 3am in my street on Saturday night! - but I strongly disagree that fireworks should only be allowed at organised displays.
    I find organised displays boring. Standing around with a load of people I don't know from adam, not being allowed anywhere near the bonfire for health and safety reasons, nowhere to go for shelter when you get cold or wet from the ( inevitable) drizzle.
    No, I like to have my own fire in my own back garden with my family and any friends I wish to invite.

I'm not a complete idiot and I know the firework code, so nobody is going to get hurt.
    I've been going to small private bonfires in domestic gardens for over 40 years and nobody has ever got hurt.
    This. How typically British that the idiotic behavior of the few is jumped on to justify banning something for anybody. I love hosting or bonfire party with our friends and family. Everyone loves it, especially the kids (and especially me!), but apparently that is secondary to someone's budgy!
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    This. How typically British that the idiotic behavior of the few is jumped on to justify banning something for anybody. I love hosting or bonfire party with our friends and family. Everyone loves it, especially the kids (and especially me!), but apparently that is secondary to someone's budgy!

Not just someone's budgie but stud's budgie...:D

I agree. We're fast becoming a nation of bedwetting milquetoasts, if DS is anything to go by.:D

Bonfire parties are great fun. Unlike ordinary parties, you've actually got something to look at and it's a great opportunity to enjoy hearty food.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Another vote for organised events only from me.

Selfish humans riding roughshod over petrified animals every year (and of course the deliberate cruelty inflicted by the moronic, stories of which will enevitably be reported in the coming days).

They should not be available to the general public.

And everyone of you who has let one off this weekend, should be fined for littering!
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I like to see fireworks and do think people should have the right to do their own thing with their bonfires and fireworks.

However, having to keep cats in every evening for weeks on end because of selfish people with money to burn setting off fireworks every night, sometimes all night long, is beyond irritating. Walking the dog with banging going on all around can be avoided on the night but not every night for weeks on end.

Enjoy, 5th November and have fun I say, but while so many fools are incapable of this without inflicting themselves on others no wonder people moan about it. I live just a few feet away from a park but have still had people drive up in their the cars and set off their fireworks on the grass verge right at my doorstep!! Why would you do that? Things like this are what make people complain about Guy Fawkes night.
  • Options
    lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love them. Sparklieness. My favourite ones are the ones that explode a couple of times and look like stars. I hate the ones that are just a streak and go peoooowhh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people complain.

Stop your bloody moaning.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I don't understand fireworks. They last for 5 seconds, make a loud noise and there is a flash of colour. I've never understood why people like them. Even when I was younger.

me neither, it is no difference from burning money, when i was a kid i went to the local councils organised displays, was much better and cheaper
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None here again, tonight. In my experience, the lower the income, the more fireworks you tend to get. The middle classes generally have more interesting things to do than stand around gawping at pretty explosions and marvelling at loud bangs.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one f#cking week a year! OK one week and a couple of hours on New Year's Eve. I find it hard to believe all those people's families were blown up by fireworks and I certainly don't believe the 'It's supporting terrorism' nonsense!
    If it's 'The noise keeps people awake' why aren't there just as many posts moaning about loud music, screaming kids, sirens, house and car alarms or any of the other things that might?

The only reason I can understand is if it scares your animals, but I still don't think that's a reason to hate the entire thing. I wonder if the same people hate Christmas and Easter because their cat or dog is more likely to try and eat chocolate? :confused:

We hate this time of the year as it means about 2 weeks of random fireworks / bombs going off every evening which scares the bejesus out of our two lovely dogs . It's so sad to see them shaking in their beds refusing food and / or walks .
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it is only one week for some people, but it certainly isnt here. We get 2 weeks of fireworks every night and then at random times up until Christmas/New Years. Last night they started at 5pm and finished at midnight, today again they started at 5pm and have been going on ever since...really loud. It will be going on all week and beyond.
  • Options
    RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually quite like fireworks, but only actually on bonfire night. I hate it when people are constantly setting off fireworks in the week leading up to bonfire night and continue for days afterwards. My animals don't like it.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Does no one have double glazing and curtains at their windows?. Maybe it's just me but with the curtains closed and doors and windows shut I hardly notice a thing.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does no one have double glazing and curtains at their windows?. Maybe it's just me but with the curtains closed and doors and windows shut I hardly notice a thing.

During Strictly Come Dancing I could hardly concentrate on the program, due to loudness of the Fireworks from my neighbour two doors up. I have double glazing and the windows,curtains and doors shut.
    He is the type who likes to be noticed, having parties on occasion while 2am etc.

I'm not overly bothered though, but when bonfire night isn't on a Saturday it lasts Friday till Tuesday this year.

I see there's a good chance of a downpour tomorrow, shame.
  • Options
    speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    next thing you know they'll be complaining about snow!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose it helps that you are also a bit mutt & Geoff.