Is it possible to have psychic dreams?

Comments

• bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? There aren't any unicorns either but we have a word for them.

Ah, but the unicorn is defined as a mythical creature. The psychic is not. Possibly you could petition to have that changed.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Ah, but the unicorn is defined as a mythical creature. The psychic is not. Possibly you could petition to have that changed.

I think most definitions would define a "psychic" as someone "who claims" to have special powers of foresight, so as long as there is such a disclaimer then that's fine. If a dictionary defined it as a fact then that would be dodgy.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're right, its defined as an 'apparent' ability! You couldn't get a razorblade between the meanings really could you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think most definitions would define a "psychic" as someone "who claims" to have special powers of foresight, so as long as there is such a disclaimer then that's fine. If a dictionary defined it as a fact then that would be dodgy.

No it's actually someone who is "believed" to have powers not explained by modern science, not "claims to."

That's a stereotype from reading too many tabloids.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's actually someone who is "believed" to have powers not explained by modern science, not "claims to."

Surely they "claim to" have the powers until they can be scientifically proven to have them, at which point they are "believed" to have the powers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's a stereotype from reading too many tabloids.

Believed by who? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Surely they "claim to" have the powers unless they can be scientifically proven to have them, at which point they are "believed" to have the powers.

Wrong. There are many who don't claim abilities and find out by accident.

You are the victim of tabloid stereotyping.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then if no one is psychic, surely we should petition for the word to be removed from the dictionary.

I have an issue with truth, reality and language. No-one is really psychic. Relatively speaking Humans (and animals) have precognitive thoughts and can be described as psychic as is the custom of the time. The word can stay - it's as limited and limiting as the rest.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not wrong at all. The normal scientific process would be to make a "claim" - ie a hypothesis - and then test it to see whether it stands up. If it does, then you can "believe" - ie prove it to be true.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Anyway had loads of other stuff come true to like disasters but don't we all dream about disasters and my dreams are never exact so could apply to any major disaster involving a plane or train!

I am not claiming to be *psychic* BUT too many of my dreams come true so don't know really what to think!
    Yes. I have dreams like this all the time. But no doubt DS will shoot me down in their usual way like they always do if I told them :-/ But it's a semi regular occurrence for me.

I'm sure we'd all be delighted if you posted all your dreams to a thread, so we can see how many come true.

mcg3 wrote: »

Not necessarily true as there have been studies of persons who acted on precognitive dreams and those who did not................

Not even people who have precognitive dreams assume that every dream they have, has a literal meaning. That would be daft.

Do you have links to these studies, because I can't really work out how they'd work. Especially given your penultimate sentence.

EDIT : I don't know what happened there, but the final quote is from bollywood, post 41.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I have an issue with truth, reality and language. No-one is really psychic. Relatively speaking Humans (and animals) have precognitive thoughts and can be described as psychic as is the custom of the time. The word can stay - it's as limited as the rest.

Having precognitive thoughts would be a good working definition of psychic, then. It's primarily that the word has a 19th Century aura, and also a spiritual association, that many don't like. Otherwise OPs would not start threads about them and run off.
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Believed by who? :confused:

Nutters.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    But there will always be someone who dreamed that their auntie Flo died and found out the next day that their aunty Flo had died in the night...so it therefore must have been a premonition.

Exactly. Ages ago now, I read some statistician explain that a person would have to have dreams accurately predicting specific deaths for something like a week or two on the trot, every night, for this to become outside of chance. It's simply not statistically significant to have the odd dream that later finds a match in real life. People dream, stuff happens. It would actually be quite odd if matches of dream to event never happened.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having precognitive thoughts would be a good working definition of psychic, then. It's primarily that the word has a 19th Century aura, and also a spiritual association, that many don't like. Otherwise OPs would not start threads about them and run off.

TV and the media has a lot to answer for. As I think you'll likely agree there's no reason when talking about dreams and the "psychic" to introduce this idea of specialness. Precognitive information in dreams often comes from archetypes, is self related and despite various opinions no-one knows what they, archetypes, actually are. One thing, I'm fairly certain, they are not is subject to ones wishes hopes and fanciful desires.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about tabloid stereotyping.
    I think perhaps you doth protest too much...
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it isn't possible. Next question?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no such thing as psychic abilities. No one has them. They are imaginary, a fantasy or a con.

Anyone who believes otherwise is wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV and the media has a lot to answer for. As I think you'll likely agree there's no reason when talking about dreams and the "psychic" to introduce this idea of specialness. Precognitive information in dreams often comes from archetypes, is self related and despite various opinions no-one knows what they, archetypes, actually are. One thing, I'm fairly certain, they are not is subject to ones wishes hopes and fanciful desires.

I agree that dreams are not only about one's wishes and desires, although some are. And certainly some people do not want to be "special" and feel guilt at having dreamt something (tragic) and then it occurs.

More recent thinking is that we are able to connect with a universal bank of knowledge. It could be somewhat like a collective unconscious, but minus the archetypes.

It is not necessarily the number of correct dreams, of course, but the level of detail, and sometimes vividness, that separates an ordinary dream from a precognitive one. Dreaming is not a numbers game.

There are composers and writers who dreamed their entire material. All it took was one dream, disregarding the others in which an opera was not dreamt.

Dean Radin tells an interesting tale of having a dream that he was in a fender bender, so he took an alternate route to work that day. He was in a fender bender on the alternate route.

It's an interesting subject if one wants to take the time to record and study dreams. No just get into a no it's not, yes it is, game.
  • mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can all claim to have some extraordinary ability

Whether it being a claim to be able to run the fastest/furthest, jump the highest/longest.
    Lift the heaviest weight.

The list is endless, however to anyone making a claim its fairly easy to find out whether they are genuine or full of horse manure.

You put the individual to the test.
    This is where things always get tricky with those claiming psychic powers, whether it be negative energy, them having a bad day, tests to difficult even though they agreed the protocols.
    In most cases the psychic simply refuses to be tested.

The lack of "evidence" speaks volumes.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I'm sure we'd all be delighted if you posted all your dreams to a thread, so we can see how many come true.

Do you have links to these studies, because I can't really work out how they'd work. Especially given your penultimate sentence.

EDIT : I don't know what happened there, but the final quote is from bollywood, post 41.

How would you know if they come true or not? I don't dream about world affairs or celebrities dying etc the dreams I have had which have come true relate to my life/family/friends. And even so, its no one'a business but mine so I wouldn't post them online anyway. Particularly not on a site as dismissive as DS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can all claim to have some extraordinary ability

Whether it being a claim to be able to run the fastest/furthest, jump the highest/longest.
    Lift the heaviest weight.

The list is endless, however to anyone making a claim its fairly easy to find out whether they are genuine or full of horse manure.

You put the individual to the test.
    This is where things always get tricky with those claiming psychic powers, whether it be negative energy, them having a bad day, tests to difficult even though they agreed the protocols.
    In most cases the psychic simply refuses to be tested.

The lack of "evidence" speaks volumes.

No offense but you're sounding a bit like a fascist to me.
    Anyway I don't think it's the "psychic" that would be tested. It's a common and understandable mistake in my view. I can see how this would be doomed to failure. It's all a question of meaning/narrative, emotion, intent, time place, energy and appropriateness as far as I can tell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How would you know if they come true or not? I don't dream about world affairs or celebrities dying etc the dreams I have had which have come true relate to my life/family/friends. And even so, its no one'a business but mine so I wouldn't post them online anyway. Particularly not on a site as dismissive as DS.

Haven't you ever told other people about a dream you had? I have not recently been recalling dreams. I did have one that I am waiting to see what it means, and that would, as you say, pertain to my life. I did tell several people about the dream.

There is no need to post a dream here if you think it is a baity thread. Where is OP, anyway.

If you are interested, there is Gaia's Dreams website, that records dreams and dream content to see if there are general trends related to world events.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

This would give you and other believers the perfect platform though to

1 Shut up us who dismiss it as nonsense

2 Do something no other site has done

3 If you could prove it here, then go for scientific testing and shake the scientific community to its core.

edit reply is to whispering ghost
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offense but you're sounding a bit like a fascist to me.
    Anyway I don't think it's the "psychic" that would be tested. It's a common and understandable mistake in my view. I can see how this would be doomed to failure. It's all a question of meaning/narrative, emotion, intent, time place, energy and appropriateness as far as I can tell.

Ok what i maybe should've said was you ask the psychic if they would like to partake of some scientific testing.

Funny how these psychics never have a problem "performing" when money exchanges hands.

Yet when asked to perform under controlled conditions their ability seems to desert them.

Now there is something i can predict.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This would give you and other believers the perfect platform though to

1 Shut up us who dismiss it as nonsense

2 Do something no other site has done

3 If you could prove it here, then go for scientific testing and shake the scientific community to its core.

edit reply is to whispering ghost

It's a science fantasy. How are you going to scientifically test someones psychic dream? They're kind of personal and spontaneous. I know they're precognitive or synchronistic rather than chance because of the details, odd words that didn't make sense at the time but did after the event and the complex context. How is all that going to to be tested in a lab environment. What would be the point? It wouldn't shut anyone up.