Options

Retired police officer 'shoots Florida father dead in cinema after row over texting'

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/retired-police-officer-shoots-florida-father-dead-in-cinema-after-row-over-texting-9058047.html

I don't think this is an argument for increased gun control in the States; it wouldn't be news if a situation like this were a daily occurrence.

Still, wow.

Bloody lunatic.

Symptom of the modern age - people massively overreacting because they are "irritated beyond endurance" by what is essentially an incident of mind numbing triviality.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denied bail.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Denied bail.

The right choice I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allegedly he has confronted people before for texting - he is alleged to have followed a woman to the toilet to complain about her texting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Allegedly he has confronted people before for texting - he is alleged to have followed a woman to the toilet to complain about her texting.

Actually IN to the toilet? If so it sounds like a weird man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first thing I would like to ask the gunman is 'Why the hell did he need to take a gun into a cinema in the first place?'

This IMO is the reason why we should NEVER allow carrying guns to be legalised in the UK. End of!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    'Why the hell did he need to take a gun into a cinema in the first place?'
    You never know when someone will start shooting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The first thing I would like to ask the gunman is 'Why the hell did he need to take a gun into a cinema in the first place?'

This IMO is the reason why we should NEVER allow carrying guns to be legalised in the UK. End of!!!

I'm not sure what impact that would have had on the shooting other than in addition to murder you could also charge him with carrying an illegal weapon. But generally if the courts have a strong case against someone for something as serious as that they tend not to bother with charging for a lesser offence because there's not much point. If he gets life without parole or the death penalty then it really doesn't matter that he could be charged with other crimes because he'll spend the rest of his days locked up no matter what. The reason why people in America tend to carry is for self defence. Even if you are in an area which forbids the carrying of weapons there is no guarantee that someone with an illegal weapon will attack at some point if you look at all the shootings that have happened in states that don't allow you to carry weapons in public then it becomes clear.

We could speculate on ideas about whether legislating against guns would have prevented this man acquiring a gun somehow and then using it to kill another person but truly we can't definitely say that a ban would have prevented it so we have to see the facts as they are. Although I find myself agreeing with you about this country as I don't think any change to current british firearms law is really required.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    I'm not sure what impact that would have had on the shooting other than in addition to murder you could also charge him with carrying an illegal weapon. But generally if the courts have a strong case against someone for something as serious as that they tend not to bother with charging for a lesser offence because there's not much point. If he gets life without parole or the death penalty then it really doesn't matter that he could be charged with other crimes because he'll spend the rest of his days locked up no matter what.

We could speculate on ideas about whether legislating against guns would have prevented this man acquiring a gun somehow and then using it to kill another person but truly we can't definitely say that a ban would have prevented it so we have to see the facts as they are. Although I find myself having to agree with you about this country as it's probably not the right move for us but that's because our culture is a bit different to the Americans and they aren't enshrined in our culture whereas they are deeply so in America.

I agree it might not. But at least there is the likelihood (while carrying guns is banned in the UK) that you are unlikely to be sat in a cinema with someone carrying a gun. Unlike the US of course.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Thing is though with stories like this you would hope it proves why guns should be banned or at least the laws tightened up however the pro gun lot say that this proves why you need to carry one then you can defend yourself against nuts like this
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Maybe that's why the manager didn't go as they were fed up of him running to them and moaning every time someone used their mobile

I wonder why the cinema didn't just ban him if he was obviously intimidating other customers and causing trouble
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thing is though with stories like this you would hope it proves why guns should be banned or at least the laws tightened up however the pro gun lot say that this proves why you need to carry one then you can defend yourself against nuts like this

I'm not pro gun at all at least not for this country however I can see why there is a need to carry one over in america where shootings like these happen. You HOPE that increased legislation would lead to shootings like this being prevented but there's no reason to believe that it wouldn't go the opposite way and shootings like these continuing and then what have you done by stripping potential victims of a fighting chance to live? Increasing restrictions on firearms in America is not the right thing to do especially in light of these shootings. People die every day people are murdered every day it doesn't mean that the cause of their death should be banned especially when there is nothing to say that banning it would have prevented it from happening. Michelle that's why I feel there are no changes needed for laws here because shootings don't really happen that much but as they are frequent in America and (in my opinion) increased weapons legislation there would do nothing to change the frequency of shootings then it doesn't make sense to stop other people from carrying. Appreciate though this is my opinion solely on America and not here.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic. Can we have one of these guys in ALL uk cinemas. Give him a medal now.

This is, quite frankly, an evil thing to say.
    The 71 year old was not right in the head. When an audience member is being inconsiderate do you

a)go get management to sort it out
    b) get your gun and kill the audience member because they're ruining your viewing pleasure of fictional entertainment?

The guy's life is more valuable than a 2 hour movie. That 71 year old could always come back and watch Lone Survivor but that man's life he took is gone forever. Let's get some perspective.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    A tad excessive, especially as the film hadn't even started.

Just a "tad" :)

Of course had the victim been also carrying a gun he could have defended himself. Or they could have killed each other...

Or somebody else...
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it might not. But at least there is the likelihood (while carrying guns is banned in the UK) that you are unlikely to be sat in a cinema with someone carrying a gun. Unlike the US of course.

Ah, but what you really need to defend yourself from these nuts with guns is a "good guy with a gun". If only there had been a "good guy with a gun" in the cinema, this wouldn't have happened.:confused:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Mobile phones should be banned from being used in cinemas.

They are at the Almo Drafthouse chain of cinemas in the U.S. I went to one in Colorado and was pleasantly surprised at the etiquette.

http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/SIRI-PSA
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a real sad tragedy the guy died but why do people go to a cinema and spend hours face buried in their phone texting/using the net? Killing him was just way too out of line but again i don't get why people pay money to see a film but are using the film the whole way through.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Cos THIS was a real thing?

Trouble with this idea of "gun free zones" is that, in the USA, it's only ever law-abiding citizens who abide by the rules.

We're lucky (or smart) in the UK in that we don't have this attitude where it's acceptable for a person to carry a gun under normal circumstances but, in the USA, they do have that attitude and, as a result, it just compels more and more people to do so and, of course, there's no way to tell the difference between a law-abiding citizen and a nutcase until they actually start shooting.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a real sad tragedy the guy died but why do people go to a cinema and spend hours face buried in their phone texting/using the net? Killing him was just way too out of line but again i don't get why people pay money to see a film but are using the film the whole way through.

This shot guy wasn't. He was texting during the trailers/adverts pre-main feature. I do know though that some text/talk during the main feature, which is annoying but not annoying enough to shoot a person.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    This shot guy wasn't. He was texting during the trailers/adverts pre-main feature. I do know though that some text/talk during the main feature, which is annoying but not annoying enough to shoot a person.

Thing is, we've got no idea how the situation actually escalated.

I mean, it's not like the victim was tapping away at his phone and somebody just pulled out a gun and shot him to shut him up.
    It seems as though an argument erupted and the old duffer obviously thought he was justified in "defending himself" using a gun.

Trouble is that, a bit like the whole thing with George Zimmerman, people seem to have this attitude that they can get into arguments and then, if it all goes wrong, they can pull out a gun as a "get out of jail free card".
  • Options
    DigitalPervDigitalPerv Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Stupid thing for the cop to do end of.
  • Options
    GPGP Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    a)go get management to sort it out
    b) get your gun and kill the audience member because they're ruining your viewing pleasure of fictional entertainment?
    b)

Thanks.
    Bet no one dared text after that lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GP wrote: »
    b)

Thanks.
    Bet no one dared text after that lol.

Texting is so last year - it's instant messaging and twitting

Wonder how long it took for the first 'OMG just saw someone shot' to be made
  • Options
    hazy-dayshazy-days Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'll get off - he will just say he was standing his ground

And he'll be able to produce the Wittertainment Code of Conduct to prove killing a texter in a cinema is justifiable - though he will have to explain why he made a noise

:D Very good.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Bloody lunatic.

Symptom of the modern age - people massively overreacting because they are "irritated beyond endurance" by what is essentially an incident of mind numbing triviality.

It's nothing new, the media are just better at reporting this stuff nowadays.

A hundred years ago, British people had no idea what went on in the US, the media didn't have the ability to tell us.