Options

Sky and scotland independence

MortonMorton Posts: 39
Forum Member
I live in Germany and as everyone knows am not supposed to have sky as i live abroad.So what happens to all the Scots sky accounts if they vote for independence as they will also technically be abroad then won`t they?By the way this is a bit of a light hearted question before anyone comes on here to shoot me down as i don`t really think anything will or should change.It`s just a slight reaction to having to resort to furtive means years on end to watch sky over here maybe.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Morton wrote: »
    I live in Germany and as everyone knows am not supposed to have sky as i live abroad.So what happens to all the Scots sky accounts if they vote for independence as they will also technically be abroad then won`t they?By the way this is a bit of a light hearted question before anyone comes on here to shoot me down as i don`t really think anything will or should change.It`s just a slight reaction to having to resort to furtive means years on end to watch sky over here maybe.

Silly question - as there will be NO changes whatsoever - the copyright holders sell programmes based geographically on the British Isles, not any random political scheme.
  • Options
    MortonMorton Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    As i thought.Shot down .For ``silly question``Good job there are sky boffins like you around to keep us laymen all up to speed
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And no it is not illegal to have a Sky UK account in Germany. Under EU law, anyone can su8bscribe to whatever subscription package they like anywhere within the EU. I could have Sky Germany if I wished for example.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess immediately there won't be any changes, but over time it will develop in a similar way to Sky in Ireland where the channel line up differs to some extent.

I don't think it's a silly question. The Republic of Ireland is in the geography of the British Isles, but their Sky services do differ to what the UK get.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly question - as there will be NO changes whatsoever - the copyright holders sell programmes based geographically on the British Isles, not any random political scheme.

Well no, they sell to the United Kingdom, then sell to Ireland seperatly however due to the amount of cross over channels it's normally to the same broadcaster. Existing rights deals will include both countries in the event of independence, however could you see rights holders still charging the same when they could argue that you are buying rights to multiple countries?
    jimbo wrote: »
    And no it is not illegal to have a Sky UK account in Germany. Under EU law, anyone can su8bscribe to whatever subscription package they like anywhere within the EU. I could have Sky Germany if I wished for example.

It's just against T&Cs
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morton wrote: »

Sky UK also serve the Republic of Ireland which isnt part of the UK and hasnt for about 90+ years!
    Scotland will just become like the Republic of Ireland for how Sky do things and how Virgin will do things also.

The only thing thats likely to change (but later on when the Scottish government get round to it if they do go independent) is some kind of Scottish state broadcaster will replace the BBC in Scotland on the main first 2 channels.
    STV (or ITV in the Border regon), C4 and C5 will stay almost the same with minor tweaks to news and other regonal programming I would expect.
    Most likely the BBC will stay on the Scotish Sky and Virgin EPGs at the same positions as they are in the Republic of Ireland!
  • Options
    mici01mici01 Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    The only thing thats likely to change (but later on when the Scottish government get round to it if they do go independent) is some kind of Scottish state broadcaster will replace the BBC in Scotland on the main first 2 channels.

And that will also be the difference for the OT: Instead of BBC 1 and 2 he will get the new Scottish services on 101+102 (when he got a Sky sub with an scottish Postcode). And if Sky gets an Agreement with the BBC, the BBC Services get a place somewhere other on the EPG (like in Ireland).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Well no, they sell to the United Kingdom, then sell to Ireland seperatly however due to the amount of cross over channels it's normally to the same broadcaster. Existing rights deals will include both countries in the event of independence, however could you see rights holders still charging the same when they could argue that you are buying rights to multiple countries?

Presumably Sky would expect to pay LESS, if Scotland wasn't included :D

But again,it's not going to make the slightest difference - if it even happens at all.
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 'Scotland's Future' (the guide to independence) it says the following:
    'Because of the nature of satellite technology...that platform would remain identical in Scotland to the rest of the United Kingdom, just as the case with the UK and Ireland.'
    (Page 532 for those interested)
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    aberboy wrote: »
    'Because of the nature of satellite technology...that platform would remain identical in Scotland to the rest of the United Kingdom, just as the case with the UK and Ireland.'
    the 'platform' will remain the same. But the content made available via a Scottish Sky viewing card will be different. The inclusion of the BBC channels on the EPG will be subject to a commercial arrangement between BBC Worldwide and Sky like it is in RoI. And the ITV/STV relationship will change. As has been mentioned, the channel line up will vary slightly (as it does in RoI, compared to UK). Sky could choose to offer different services to scottish subscribers if it wanted to. And don't forget the potential for different ad versions of numerous commercial channels for Scotland, like the Irish variants.

Importantly, the cost of a subscription could differ as well, based on the separate Scottish marketplace (as is the case in RoI). How VAT is rated and applied for example could change pricing over time in the two countries.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »
    What is in that book is not worth the cost of the paper it is printed on...
    It is a list of hopes and prayers that the SNP want to happen, it in no way is representative of what will happen.

Most existing TV services will still be available should Scotland go independent no doubt, with the Scots paying for this. Just another cost increase as a result of wanting Independence.

Once you go it alone EVERYTHING becomes more expensive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    More importantly what happens to sky if Scotland went independent, as there main call centre is Livingstone Scotland?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More importantly what happens to sky if Scotland went independent, as there main call centre is Livingstone Scotland?

I assume they will have cost-planned already, possibly resulting in a loss of jobs.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no doubt that Sky are more prepared for Scottish Independemce than the Scottish Government are!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Probably nothing, or they just relocate to somewhere else with a tiny Trading Standards budget :D
  • Options
    bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Corporate headquarters is in Osterley, so nothing. It would just be like the Indian call centres.

Mr Murdoch has previously said he supports independence - it would be out of the EU so workers rights would be eroded thus better for business!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubblegun wrote: »
    Corporate headquarters is in Osterley, so nothing. It would just be like the Indian call centres.

Mr Murdoch has previously said he supports independence - it would be out of the EU so workers rights would be eroded thus better for business!

And people want the UK out of Europe and loosing their employee rights? Not me I would rather stay in the EU if thats the case!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubblegun wrote: »

But Mr Salmond wants to join the EU so workers rights won't change.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that simple though, it takes a long time to join the EU and it can get blocked from other countries (Spain would likely block it due to political reasons surrounding Catalonia).
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely the Scottish people if they voted "Yes" to split from the union would then be faced with a future referendum on whether THEY want to join the Eu, it is not simply what AS wants ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the Scottish people if they voted "Yes" to split from the union would then be faced with a future referendum on whether THEY want to join the Eu, it is not simply what AS wants ?

The white paper doesn't state a further vote on whether to join the EU, however Scotland would be taking a huge risk without the EU for diplomatic relations, which are vitally important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The white paper doesn't state a further vote on whether to join the EU, however Scotland would be taking a huge risk without the EU for diplomatic relations, which are vitally important.

Love it or hate it the EU is a necessary evil for Europe now, if you aren't in then it could cause your country more trouble than being in!
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Love it or hate it the EU is a necessary evil for Europe now, if you aren't in then it could cause your country more trouble than being in!

Alex Salmond thinks he's got it all sorted out....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Alex Salmond thinks he's got it all sorted out....

Maybe he does think that and maybe he has it all sorted, maybe he hasnt, but thats not the point I was making.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Maybe he does, but thats not the point I was making.

Oh i know.
    I was being sarcastic about Salmond how he thinks its all sorted when its far from it