Chris Packham Has Aspergers

Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
Forum Member
✭✭
I have aspergers too and have been saying for years, I'm sure he has it. I was right. So glad a hero of mine has this is common with me! - http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/suicide-agony-springwatchs-chris-packham-7865392#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Comments

• MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he been formally diagnosed or has he diagnosed himself which is not the same thing?

Could someone with Aspergers really become a TV presenter?
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Yes, of course, there are people with Aspergers in all sorts of jobs.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Everyone has Aspergers.
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone has Aspergers.

I do like Asparagus.

Is it similar to aspergers ?
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence, but this guy always seemed several sandwiches short of a picnic.

Didn't he say he wished pandas would become extinct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/6216775/Chris-Packham-Giant-pandas-should-be-allowed-to-die-out.html
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/6216775/Chris-Packham-Giant-pandas-should-be-allowed-to-die-out.html

No, he didn't. As your link clearly explains.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No way. Absolutely NO WAY!!!!! :o

He's beautiful inside and out. :):blush:
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he been formally diagnosed or has he diagnosed himself which is not the same thing?

The article makes it sound like the latter, unless he got a formal diagnosis afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    No, he didn't. As your link clearly explains.

Chris Packham: “I reckon we should pull the plug. Let them go with a degree of dignity.”
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    I do like Asparagus.

Aspergers is a fascinating condition: the person is at the high functioning intellectual end. It just demosntrates what the human brain is capable of and EVEN MORE which we haven't tapped into yet.:o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2uRuFgZSDc
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Packham: “I reckon we should pull the plug. Let them go with a degree of dignity.”

In context with his whole view on the subject, how is that the same as 'I wish pandas were extinct'?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2009/sep/23/panda-extinction-chris-packham
    I don't want the panda to die out. I want species to stay alive – that's why I get up in the morning. I don't even kill mosquitoes or flies. So if pandas can survive, that would be great.
    I'm not trying to play God; I'm playing God's accountant. I'm saying we won't be able to save it all, so let's do the best we can. And at the moment I don't think our strategies are best placed to do that. We should be focusing our conservation endeavours on biodiversity hotspots, spreading our net more widely and looking at good-quality habitat maintenance to preserve as much of the life as we possibly can,

The point he is making is perfectly valid. It is pointless spending millions of pounds on saving the panda when the reasons why they are struggling are still happening.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember him from The Really Wild Show just about.

However; since I've seen him recently, I've never liked his presentation style so I avoid his programmes.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to his Desert Island Discs.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03cd94y

We listened in the car. Had to stop driving it was so moving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's absolutely right, it's obscene that so many animals go extinct without people caring just because they're not 'cute' enough. Pandas contribute far less to the ecosystem; the obsession with saving them is literally just because they look cute and cuddly and funny.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tszujme wrote: »
    He's absolutely right, it's obscene that so many animals go extinct without people caring just because they're not 'cute' enough. Pandas contribute far less to the ecosystem; the obsession with saving them is literally just because they look cute and cuddly and funny.

So basically what you're saying is pick and choose which animals should be saved.

Nice.

I don't think any species should become extinct where it's possible to save them
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has always been a bit out there, a wacky kids presenter....I remember him on Really Wild Show....
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like Asparagus.

I don't think Aspergers makes your wee smell.
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically what you're saying is pick and choose which animals should be saved.

Nice.

I don't think any species should become extinct where it's possible to save them
    Well no they're saying quite the opposite.

That we ARE picking and choosing which species should be saved. That we pick and choose to spend so much on saving the panda because it's big and cute, while little resource is being spent on other, more sustainable conservation matters that maybe don't have the great PR or profile of the panda.

That there is an argument that for whatever reason (even if it is manmade) the giant Panda species is unable to sustain itself in a natural habitat and that everything that is being done isn't working. And that the level of huge investment should be put towards saving and protecting species that do have a more sustainable future. That less 'glamorous' species that could be conserved are dying out because of a lack of investment while millions is being spent on a folly.

I'm not saying I agree, there are opposing arguments (I don't really know enough on the subject to know which I err on) but that is what their argument is.

Of course no species should become extinct when it's possible to save them. The problem is there just aren't the resources to save everything so it isn't possible. As such many conservationists believe we should be relooking at how we use those limited resources.
  • RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    I don't think Aspergers makes your wee smell.

:D:D:D:D

I'll take your word for that :D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think that people with Aspergers would be so sexually flirtatious with their co-presenters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picking and choosing what animals should be saved is literally what the Panda brigade is doing. They are playing God and condemning many other species to extinction. And they've chosen which animal should die and which animal should live based on how cute it is. Humans have literally shot certain species into extinction, and no one cares because they aren't cuddly. Pandas don't naturally have enough babies to keep their population steady, so we spend millions of dollars a year subjecting them to intrusive medical procedures to try to increase their birth rate.

Btw, even conservationists openly admit that the only reason pandas get all the money and attention is because it's important for PR and brings in tourist $$.

Besides, it's basic scientific fact that some species are more crucial to the planet than others. If pandas stop having babies, it won't affect anyone or anything apart from humans being sad. If bees go extinct it would probably result in humanity being wiped out.
    Over one hundred different species become extinct every single day, most of them with zero attention. 99.9% of all species that have ever existed on this planet are extinct. Earth experiences regular Mass Extinction Events, which are essential for evolution (humans wouldn't exist without the K/T Boundary Event).
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like Asparagus.

no, asparagus is far more interesting.
    Asparagus is a vegetable of the middle classes.
    Aspergers is a trendy diagnosis of the middle classes' children.
    You can put asparagus into an aspergers but not the other way round.
    Thus asparagus wins
    :kitty:
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    I do like Asparagus.

Would you make fun of down's syndrome as well?

...No, I thought not.
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    no, asparagus is far more interesting.
    Asparagus is a vegetable of the middle classes.
    Aspergers is a trendy diagnosis of the middle classes' children.
    You can put asparagus into an aspergers but not the other way round.
    Thus asparagus wins
    :kitty:

Bet you wouldn't be so flippant if it affected someone in your family.

Talk about a bullying mindset.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member

Yes, they could - Guy Martin also has Aspergers I believe.