Chris Packham Has Aspergers

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Country file is a pretty naff tv show it has to be said.

Hardly ever watch it, might catch the odd bit, but it appears to be v popular. I more recall the morning lesser spotted bejumpered Craven days. I do get into Springwatch though. Which Chris is in. ;-)

Eta Oh, think John Craven's still in it? Good man.
  • acid rainacid rain Posts: 6,997
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    A stereotypical animal lover/human hater I think.

It's possible to like both.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    That might explain his rather crass sexual joke before the 9pm watershed on Winterwatch earlier this year about getting Michaela out of bed to show her black c**k in the flesh.

He didn't appear on the next night's edition. There was a twitter storm and we all thought he'd been removed.

About 26 secs in:

http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/chris-packham-stuns-winterwatch-viewers-with-shocking-xrated-sexual-innuendo-before-the-watershed-a3166341.html

Oh well. I thought it was a point worth making.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I didn't think that people with Aspergers would be so sexually flirtatious with their co-presenters.

It's the perfect environment to be flirtatious. You are in a safe setting, where you can't be taken seriously.
    Forum Member
    Squatch wrote: »
    As a diagnosed Asperger I wholeheartedly agree.

What value can be derived from a diagnosis? Is there any point?
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »

Access to benefits and medical treatment/therapy.

Access to accommodation at work or school/university.

Relief at finally having "an explanation" sometimes after decades of feeling like an outsider.

Being able to tell family, friends, bosses, etc. "I'm not a freak or a bad person or evil, I have a legitimate condition."

Being able to find a community of people who identity with you and who can support you and understand the things you're going through.

Diagnosis is a double-edged sword. Plenty of opinions and arguments both pro and anti.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    acid rain wrote: »
    It's possible to like both.

Yes but there are plenty like that, see the gorilla thread.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course there is, given that the vast majority of people with Aspergers are disabled and need help and support to live their lives and take care of themselves.

Comments like yours show that people don't know what Aspergers is. I blame neurotypical people like Chris Packham, appropriating the disability and portraying it as a special gift or personality quirk.
  • SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but there are plenty like that, see the gorilla thread.

It is unimaginative and baseless to accuse animal advocates of "hating humans". Brain scans have shown, for example, that vegetarians and vegans have more empathy for humans than meat eaters do.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comments like yours show that people don't know what Aspergers is. I blame neurotypical people like Chris Packham, appropriating the disability and portraying it as a special gift or personality quirk.
    Nice one, but what about taking on the internet misfits that appropriate it on DS to validate themselves...
    Forum Member
    Nice one, but what about taking on the internet misfits that appropriate it on DS to validate themselves...

It's not very nice referring to your fellow posters as misfits.

How do you know they're only appropriating it? Do you dislike people with autism?
    Forum Member

Authenticity.

Until a person has it confirmed by a professional then they can only make assumptions about themselves.

Someone telling others they're on the spectrum without a diagnosis would just be attention seeking and it could be inaccurate.
    Forum Member
    Authenticity.

Until a person has it confirmed by a professional then they can only make assumptions about themselves.

Someone telling others they're on the spectrum without a diagnosis would just be attention seeking and it could be inaccurate.

Thank you. At least you recognised that my "comments" were actually questions.

I asked those questions in the context that, as a 55 year old adult, I am beginning to wonder if I may be "on the spectrum". In one sense I would like it to be confirmed, as it may at least give me some assurances that certain traits about myself (that I view as negative) could be attributable to this "thing". But at the same time I can't see any benefit in myself being formally diagnosed. Isn't it a bit late?

If there is a plus-side of a late diagnosis, it would be good to know. (All of the above earlier responses only apply to young/er people I would imagine)?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there is, given that the vast majority of people with Aspergers are disabled and need help and support to live their lives and take care of themselves.

I think he did get an official diagnosis after suspecting he met the criteria.
    Forum Member
    Thank you. At least you recognised that my "comments" were actually questions.

I asked those questions in the context that, as a 55 year old adult, I am beginning to wonder if I may be "on the spectrum". In one sense I would like it to be confirmed, as it may at least give me some assurances that certain traits about myself (that I view as negative) could be attributable to this "thing". But at the same time I can't see any benefit in myself being formally diagnosed. Isn't it a bit late?

If there is a plus-side of a late diagnosis, it would be good to know. (All of the above earlier responses only apply to young/er people I would imagine)?

Sadly, adults don't get the same amount of help.

Plenty of doctors don't see the point in testing grown ups. They usually only diagnose children because it makes schooling easier.
    Forum Member
    Sadly, adults don't get the same amount of help.

Plenty of doctors don't see the point in testing grown ups. They usually only diagnose children because it makes schooling easier.

Thanks. Yes, that's what I thought.
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he been formally diagnosed or has he diagnosed himself which is not the same thing?

Could someone with Aspergers really become a TV presenter?

Sure. We walk (and work) among you all the time. :D

On a serious note, the statistics for employment of autism spectrum individuals are not encouraging, but it's not at all impossible for someone with ASD to be in work.
  • Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realize that the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's Syndrome requires that there be no clinically significant defict(s) in adaptive (other than social) skills? Without sounding funny they don't need to be taken care of in the sense you're implying. It's not exactly full-blown autism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I think he did get an official diagnosis after suspecting he met the criteria.

From what i have read, I believe this is the case.
    Forum Member

Could someone with Aspergers really become a TV presenter?

I often read / hear that much-loved media "personalities" come across as unfriendly in "real life". Perhaps aspergers is a common trait, if not prerequisite, of being successful in the media world? I.E. being able to turn on / off a persona as / when required.

Just a thought.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they're basically the people who get called anoraks and trainspotters.

And Mr Logic in Viz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often read / hear that much-loved media "personalities" come across as unfriendly in "real life". Perhaps aspergers is a common trait, if not prerequisite, of being successful in the media world? I.E. being able to turn on / off a persona as / when required.

Just a thought.

I feel compelled to point out that we're not all curmudgeonly and unfriendly; that's a very #notallaspies thing to say, but I think it's worth pointing out because it's sometimes glossed over. We're not all the same and don't all conform to one common 'type'.

With that in mind, it's my opinion that what you say about the media -or acting- may hold weight, I've often thought the same thing. Actors and TV presenters rely on a script, which is a handy crutch in social situations.

We all use such formulaic constructions in our lives. There is a repertoire of questions and responses which are commonly used in particular situations (e.g. unexpectedly meeting a casual acquaintance) and according to social norms.

The difference is, people with Aspergers have to think about all of this and work it out on conscious level to a much greater extent.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    You do realize that the diagnostic criteria for Asperger's Syndrome requires that there be no clinically significant defict(s) in adaptive (other than social) skills? Without sounding funny they don't need to be taken care of in the sense you're implying. It's not exactly full-blown autism.

Sometimes it is worse, my 25 year old has Aspergers and he cannot function in society, he has to wear headphones all of he time, cannot leave the house without a carer, he can't stand dogs barking, babies crying, it is physically painful for him, he has to have white noise in his ears 24/7 ( he sleeps with his headphones on) it is no life, really.

On the other hand , my 22 year old who is autistic, functions quite well, goes to college and does not need to have noise blocked out.

Please dont think that Aspergers is the easy option, it is not , I could cry for my son most days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've heard that saying, but a spectrum wouldn't exist if it affected everyone. And I don't think an official diagnosis should be based on caregivers observations.

Imo, the brain is meant to be studied with neuro-imaging.

I've always been under the impression that a diagnosis is given if the person's life is negatively impacted, so it could be the case that we're all on the autistic spectrum in terms of having autistic traits to a greater or lesser degree in number and intensity, but only some of us are 'on the spectrum', so to speak.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Sometimes it is worse, my 25 year old has Aspergers and he cannot function in society, he has to wear headphones all of he time, cannot leave the house without a carer, he can't stand dogs barking, babies crying, it is physically painful for him, he has to have white noise in his ears 24/7 ( he sleeps with his headphones on) it is no life, really.

On the other hand , my 22 year old who is autistic, functions quite well, goes to college and does not need to have noise blocked out.

Please dont think that Aspergers is the easy option, it is not , I could cry for my son most days.

Have you tried noise cancelling head phones instead of white noise?

I am probably slightly less noise sensitive than your son, so noise cancelling works for certain sounds.

I tried white noise but found it too annoying after a while.

Bose QuietComfort® 25 are very good if expensive.