Options

Champions League Final Clash

dragon_mutant1dragon_mutant1 Posts: 212
Forum Member
Whoever made the decision to air the BGT final against the CL final made a huge and regrettable mistake. This is what happened when they did this:
http://www.tellymix.co.uk/ratings/262143-britains-got-talent-2016s-final-least-watched-ever.html

This is completely undeserved and uncalled for!! If they knew this was going to happen, they shouldn't have made it clash!! If they didn't clash, I'm sure that the BGT final would have got much higher ratings, which is what it deserves.

I hope whoever made the two finals clash is ashamed of themselves. >:(

I hope it never happens again!!!!

Comments

• Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very poor rating for the final. Puting it up against the champions league was silly and the lovely weather won't have helped either.

I know people who don't particularly like football but still tune into the CL final
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem?
    You record one and watch the other
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's called 'competition' and ITV should produce a better programme if they're worried about losing viewers to other channels.Of course if ITV had kept the CL rights then that's what they would have shown last night.

It does surprise me that they didn't delay the final until BH Monday or swap it with the soap awards nonsense that is on tonight. :confused:
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 10 year old show getting peak of 10 million viewers is pretty impressive in this day and age. The champions league final isn't even aired on free to view televison in the UK anymore, and there were no British teams in it this year anyway. I can't imagine that was the cause of the slightly lower ratings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the BGT finals usually aired during half term week?
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
    Forum Member
    Them putting it up against that, moving it from the half term weekend and the talent being utter shite will have hurt ratings. I don't think Simon's boner for Boogie Storm and the polar bear helps the show either, like Reggie N Bollie on the X Factor it gets rid of the show's last thread of credibility.
  • Options
    dragon_mutant1dragon_mutant1 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    It's called 'competition' and ITV should produce a better programme if they're worried about losing viewers to other channels.Of course if ITV had kept the CL rights then that's what they would have shown last night.

If only they did. Then they wouldn't even have made it clash and it would have got the ratings it deserved.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Champions League probably did affect it a bit, but i'm glad the ratings were down. The talent on show has been terrible in recent years. The show needs a massive kick up the ass.

I had to laugh at Tellymix saying it was arguably one of the best BGT finals yet........no it wasn't, it was easily one of the worst.

Enough of the joke and mildly good acts, just find some talent and put them all through.
    A 10 year old show getting peak of 10 million viewers is pretty impressive in this day and age. The champions league final isn't even aired on free to view televison in the UK anymore, and there were no British teams in it this year anyway. I can't imagine that was the cause of the slightly lower ratings.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the BGT finals usually aired during half term week?

It only peaked at 10 million on the results though, it's not that impressive.

Also, the Champions League final was free to watch last night, it was on Channel 59 on freeview. It also doesn't matter if no British team is competing, nearly every football fan is interested in the Champions League final no matter who plays.

Even though i have said all of this though, i'm not massively convinced the Champions League would have made a massive difference. A lot of people would have been unaware that the Champions League was free to watch. The only way we will really know is when the ratings for the Champions League final are released.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member

Number 1. Football fans don't care that British teams are not involved. Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid are 2 of the biggest teams on the planet.

Number 2 BT showed the Final on their Showcase (FTA) channel as well as Youtube.
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    What's the problem?
    You record one and watch the other

Yep that's what I did, two programmes being on a the same time these days isn't really an issue from a viewers perspective.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Its not the end of the bleedin world tape one watch the other doesn't take a generous to work this out
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,988
    Forum Member
    Tom_Mullen wrote: »
    Yep that's what I did, two programmes being on a the same time these days isn't really an issue from a viewers perspective.
    True but a lot of people though often don't get around to watching their recordings though. You've got to find a two and a half hour slot to watch a recording of the BGT final or Champs League final with trophy lifting. Can be hard to do if you've got other shows/movies/box sets to catch up with.