Options

did richard deserve to win bgt?

sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would have liked to have seen beau 100 voices of gospel or the jazz singer guy win.
I feel like he was average not as good as Jamie from last year if he hadn't been wearing an army uniform and turned up in regular clothes would he have won?.

Comments

• Options
    maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I would have liked to have seen beau 100 voices of gospel or the jazz singer guy win.
    I feel like he was average not as good as Jamie from last year if he hadn't been wearing an army uniform and turned up in regular clothes would he have won?.

Yes ... I was ready to vote for him after voting him in the semi finals( he wasn't wearing a uniform to do his tricks and still won the public vote) he was on 2 nd last night with 10 other acts to follow. and still won all Cowell's " favourites" who were given the pimp spots..
  • Options
    Jane_Lee3Jane_Lee3 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO no.

The magic part of the act was average and clumsy.

He only won because of the sentimental slush in his act. ie; the war hero stuff!
  • Options
    Twinkle toes noTwinkle toes no Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »

Yes absolutely he was a worthy winner . Very proud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane_Lee3 wrote: »
    IMO no.

The magic part of the act was average and clumsy.

He only won because of the sentimental slush in his act. ie; the war hero stuff!

The 'sentimental slush' as you rudely say IS a bloody hero and keeping you safe. And has another talent. Christ almighty!
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO he won the semi partly because of the VT at the beginning saying he was a soldier - and he realised this, and played up to it.

I liked his audition & semi act, but he was dire in the final - a clunky, old fashioned trick which he muffed. He won because of the patriotism.
    Yes, Twinkle Toes - he is a hero, and is keeping us safe; and I respect and thank him for that. However this was not a "Britain's got Soldiers" competition. It was "Britain's got Talent".
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes absolutely he was a worthy winner . Very proud.

What was worthy about an average performance,
  • Options
    Jane_Lee3Jane_Lee3 Posts: 1,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'sentimental slush' as you rudely say IS a bloody hero and keeping you safe. And has another talent. Christ almighty!

What a load of utter bollocks.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member

I think the point is that the fact he's a soldier should have no bearing on his actual act whatsoever. He should be judged on his magic performance on the night.

A good 80% of his act in the final was related to him being a soldier and not him demonstrating a great magic trick.

We only saw the final this year, so had no previous opinions on him either way. We were somewhat confused as to what his act was meant to be by the time he finished.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Of course he deserved to win! Didn't you see his VT? He's one of our brave boys, fighting for queen and country, putting his life on the line so that we can be free. Just like the old chap he made magically appear (from behind a curtain) did 70 years ago. Makes you proud to be British. Rule Britannia, god save the queen and boo sucks to the hairy Hun!!:p

(OK, so his actual act was a load of pants but what's that got to do with anything...;-))
  • Options
    Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in my opinion. I found his presentation rather amateurish and his tricks were certainly unoriginal. He surely did play on his military connections to gain votes, too.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in my opinion. I found his presentation rather amateurish and his tricks were certainly unoriginal. He surely did play on his military connections to gain votes, too.

And didn't any of the other contestants use hard luck stories to win votes? I saw plenty of that.I thought he was a really nice unassuming young man .
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    im glad that a dog act/dancegroup/child singer didnt win for a change i voted for him ,,about time we had something different.im sure the queen will enjoy his act,
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'sentimental slush' as you rudely say IS a bloody hero and keeping you safe.

You are off topic but i will reply.

he is NOT a hero, and he is NOT keeping me safe

it is the opposite, the actions of the UK army is actually making us a target.

Voluntary/ enscripted soldiers in WW2 fighting in trenches against a powerful german army, THEY are heroes.
  • Options
    worldfreeworldfree Posts: 2,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    based only on the cheap card trick of the final, no he didn't. but considering all his performances it's not a scandal that he won against that Wayne and the stormtroopers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    worldfree wrote: »
    based only on the cheap card trick of the final, no he didn't. but considering all his performances it's not a scandal that he won against that Wayne and the stormtroopers

including the other performance he copied from americas got talent?

its like a commedian coming on and using the same jokes as jack carroll, that wouldnt be allowed so why did this so caled magician get away with it?
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    worldfree wrote: »

have to disagree didnt think the storm troopers were very good at all
  • Options
    suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted Jasmine to win (because she is daughter's friend), also liked Alex (he would do anything to win - loved that attitude), but Richard told a great story. I'm not English, but proud be someone living here for several decades (and British!)
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No one forces anyone in to the services now and they get well paid and most aren't in any danger. I don't get this over sentimentality for our armed forces members. His audition and semi were much better.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    And didn't any of the other contestants use hard luck stories to win votes? I saw plenty of that.I thought he was a really nice unassuming young man .

I'm sure most of them did in their VT's, but I don't remember any of them basing the entire act around it.
  • Options
    worldfreeworldfree Posts: 2,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to disagree didnt think the storm troopers were very good at all

it's what i said, if they are on the podium it's not a scandal that richard won. If diversity were on that would be different of course, he was lucky to be in a very average series
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised how many people I've seen that are conveniently forgetting he was fave to win before the final.
    Barring any mishaps or someone else stealing the show, I thought he was a pretty obvious winner. This fallout is making the result more entertaining than it was.
    codeblue wrote: »
    including the other performance he copied from americas got talent?

its like a commedian coming on and using the same jokes as jack carroll, that wouldnt be allowed so why did this so caled magician get away with it?

Not a great comparison as it just highlights the fact that he brought these tricks to people who likely hadn't seen them before.
    I think someone would have noticed if he'd done the same routine as someone else on BGT.

The other magician should have copyrighted them or something if they are his.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think someone would have noticed if he'd done the same routine as someone else on BGT.

and yet the facts and youtube videos show it

its the same routine
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,283
    Forum Member
    Loved the audition and the semi-final, but his final performance didn't appeal to me.

It probably appealed more to a certain generation, as my mum thought he was great. As soon as she watched his performance, she was SURE that he would win. There were other acts she liked (like Jasmine and Wayne), but she was SURE that the magician would win the show. I'd much rather have seen more magic tricks, TBH.
  • Options
    Yorkie64Yorkie64 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    He wouldn't have been my choice - but I can't say that means he didn't deserve to win. I don't like more speciality acts& prefer singers, but looking through this forum, a lot of people have the opinion that the musical acts should be on X Factor rather than BGT. Nobody's right or wrong just different views
    However, I don't think Richard's win should mean the forces as a whole are slated (which seems to be how this thread is going). I don't like magicians - nothing more than that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane_Lee3 wrote: »
    What a load of utter bollocks.

You seem nice