The 2014 Oscars Thread

1585960616264»

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Just noticed I missed this bit. Now you're taking the mick, surely? Crash isn't a good film as it's blatantly manipulative, sentimental and shallow.

I read an interesting point about Crash (can't recall where alas) - that it was a year where social and political issues were dominant in films and the academy chose to reward a film that while claiming to be political actually had absolutely no balls, said very little of note and offered nothing to the debate beyond pointless hand wringing.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just noticed I missed this bit. Now you're taking the mick, surely? Crash isn't a good film as it's blatantly manipulative, sentimental and shallow.

People are entitled to like Crash just as they're entitled to dislike 12 Years a Slave if they so wish! I'm getting so sick of people on here seemingly stating their opinions as fact and refusing to accept others think differently!

I happen to think Crash is a pretty decent movie. I don't think it would be half as disliked if Brokeback Mountain hadn't been in the category...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are entitled to like Crash just as they're entitled to dislike 12 Years a Slave if they so wish! I'm getting so sick of people on here seemingly stating their opinions as fact and refusing to accept others think differently!

I happen to think Crash is a pretty decent movie. I don't think it would be half as disliked if Brokeback Mountain hadn't been in the category...

In fairness, just because they haven't added "in my opinion" to that it does't mean they are stating opinion as fact. I don't think that comment is in the same bracket as the poster you pulled up previously about it at all.

The thing thats sort of amusing re: Crash is the only thing people generally seem to remember about the film is that it beat Brokeback Mountain, thats literally the only sort of legacy it seems to have left behind! Probably a great shout at Pointless answer on Pointless though for best picture winners….;)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are entitled to like Crash just as they're entitled to dislike 12 Years a Slave if they so wish! I'm getting so sick of people on here seemingly stating their opinions as fact and refusing to accept others think differently!.

Where on earth did that come from? And where did I say that my opinion is a fact? This is a forum, isn't it? A place we express opinions and reactions?

For your information, I've made it clear I was fine with the poster's dislike of 12YaS in my previous post.

I actually don't care about Brokeback Mountain. If you replace one guy with a woman and make the couple married to other people, it's a conventional doomed romance film. Brief Encounter in the midwest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I read an interesting point about Crash (can't recall where alas) - that it was a year where social and political issues were dominant in films and the academy chose to reward a film that while claiming to be political actually had absolutely no balls, said very little of note and offered nothing to the debate beyond pointless hand wringing.

Huh, interesting. I was out of the country at the time, so I had no inkling of all this going on. Thanks for the interesting background info.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great set of films this year. Whether they last the test of time, is something we'll find out in time.

And I wish I'd seen the whole thing, but I don't have sky, so I'm grateful for the fun that's given over the internet.

And especially this, and look at the expressions on the lower tier, to get the effedthttp://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/benedict-cumberbatch-executes-aerial-oscars-photobomb-on-u2-9164392.html

Because it made me laugh my arse off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great set of films this year. Whether they last the test of time, is something we'll find out in time.

And I wish I'd seen the whole thing, but I don't have sky, so I'm grateful for the fun that's given over the internet.

And especially this, and look at the expressions on the lower tier,http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/benedict-cumberbatch-photobombed-u2-on-the-oscars-red-carpet

Because it made me laugh my arse off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn too late to edit - the one with the rubbish link.

Apologies.

:blush::(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you say it's true that the Oscar nominations tend to come from Movies that are released nearer to nomination date?
    I'm not an expert in the history of the Oscars, nor am I a Movie buff - I just like what I like - but it seems to me, this year anyway, that the nominated films were all fairly recent releases?
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this PR with the selfies, the falling over, the dancing and John Travolta reading out a made up name makes people go and see the award season films. It slightly bothers me that people are jumping on to it without any passion for the actors/actresses, performances or films.

I'm very well aware that the Oscars have barely nominated any of the big blockbuster successes of the last decade in the big categories, only a few come to my mind. I'm also not treating the Oscars like it is the holy book for the taste of film. I get that some of these films won't appeal to the masses - Her (I actually said this when I picked it as my favourite film from the awards season) and Captain Phillips (I thought I was going to hate it, but I loved it), I didn't go to see Beasts of the Southern Wild last year - the DVD is still lying around unwatched.

I'm not saying that everyone should go and see every single film that's been nominated before they watch or comment on the Oscars like it's a prerequisite. I've just noticed on places like facebook, people are sharing the Simpsons photo of the Oscars, posting their John Travolta name or making comments about Jennifer Lawrence and Lupita Nyong'o when I fully well know the only film they've seen the last few months is The Lego Movie. My point is, I hope this PR does some good and people go and see things that are out of their comfort zone. I realise everyone has different tastes and events like this will give people plenty to talk about, I just hope it doesn't go to waste.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    ^ It's been a major celeb-fest/PR exercise for some time. It probably does more good than bad all told, and brings some focus on the passing year in cinema. But I'd agree there is a danger of the event overshadowing the films themselves.

btw - amusing to read Crash (or Crass, perhaps) cited as superior to 12 yrs. It's exactly the sort of trite, reactionary 'issues' guff the anti-Academy mob pounce on, isn't it? Clumsy Hollywood guilt-tripping at its worst.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    Would you say it's true that the Oscar nominations tend to come from Movies that are released nearer to nomination date?
    I'm not an expert in the history of the Oscars, nor am I a Movie buff - I just like what I like - but it seems to me, this year anyway, that the nominated films were all fairly recent releases?

That happens every year. The studios and production companies always release their Oscar buzz films in December so they are fresh in peoples minds and eligible for consideration. Of course there are always the odd exceptions like Blue Jasmine. But this is quite rare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That happens every year. The studios and production companies always release their Oscar buzz films in December so they are fresh in peoples minds and eligible for consideration. Of course there are always the odd exceptions like Blue Jasmine. But this is quite rare.

Thanks for the reply - I was genuinely intrigued by the fact that the buzz seemed to be about all the recently released Movies.
    So if you've made a Movie and your distributors release it the first half of the year, you know you've got next to no chance come Awards season?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply - I was genuinely intrigued by the fact that the buzz seemed to be about all the recently released Movies.
    So if you've made a Movie and your distributors release it the first half of the year, you know you've got next to no chance come Awards season?!

The distributors wouldn't release a film at the first half of the year if it has Oscar buzz from film festivals and screenings. They always leave it til later in the year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The distributors wouldn't release a film at the first half of the year if it has Oscar buzz from film festivals and screenings. They always leave it til later in the year.

Makes sense. Thanks - feel like I've learned something today!:)
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    In fairness, just because they haven't added "in my opinion" to that it does't mean they are stating opinion as fact. I don't think that comment is in the same bracket as the poster you pulled up previously about it at all.

I absolutely hate having to write "in my opinion" or "IMO" after a post. It's like, I'm the one writing the post so obviously it's my opinion! Whose opinion am I likely to be writing about? :D

It's just unnecessary... in my opinion :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has there been a film released in the first half that managed to win an Oscar anyway in recent years?

I know Coming Home (1978) was released in January or February, and it was nominated in several categories. It won Best Original Screenplay (and maybe Jane Fonda for Best Actress?). That was then, though. So I wonder what are the chances for a film released in the first half to win an Oscar nowadays?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has there been a film released in the first half that managed to win an Oscar anyway in recent years?

I know Coming Home (1978) was released in January or February, and it was nominated in several categories. It won Best Original Screenplay (and maybe Jane Fonda for Best Actress?). That was then, though. So I wonder what are the chances for a film released in the first half to win an Oscar nowadays?

Silence Of The Lambs. Crash was released quite early in April.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw 12YAS last week. The script was a bit disjointed but as a whole the film was powerful. A well deserved winner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silence Of The Lambs. Crash was released quite early in April.

Silence of the Lambs i think is one of he most remarkable best picture winners we've had. It's not one of my favourites, though really very good, but just in terms of managing to win Best Picture given it's themes, content, rating and, as you say, the fact it was released mid February 1991 and managed to stay fresh in the voters minds by the following year for awards season,