David Tennant & Billie Piper confirmed for the 50th Anniversary episode.

Comments

• maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant news! Especially to see Rose again! I wonder if their roles will be big or minor?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that not a picture from The Runaway Bride? :)

All the same, I'm happy enough about the news. I would have loved to have seen Tennant and Tate reunited, then Eccleston and Piper....they're my favourite pairings. But good news all the same :)

And John Hurt! Equally impressive news :D

Aye it is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    craggers wrote: »

They have just tweeted a picture of Rose now:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While im not a massive fan of Tennant....i have to say this is very exciting...although i would have loved Tate and Ten together and 9 and Billie but alas...anything is cool! And John Hurt is amazing! so yeah i am excited by this...and can only imagine we will be teased further and further :D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    Dan06 wrote: »
    But....the fact that he's with Rose.... is it going to be the human "Journey's End" Doctor lookalike....

:confused: Why? Is it because this is really the only way for Rose to come back?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Moffat has already stated we'll know all about clara by the end of this run of episodes.

I was just trying to come up with a theory in 5 minutes I didn't take it all too seriously to be honest, i'm not a writer and my memory is terrible so forget things that have been said on occasion.

Though thinking a little more sure we will know all about Clara by the end of this run, but that doesn't mean she can't die and come back again still. We'll just know why it happens now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I will be very disappointed if its the human doctor. As I always hated that plot.

What if he becomes the villian. That would be interesting.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Press release (provided by Lizo Mzimba via GallifreyBase):

DOCTOR WHO ANNOUNCES ALL-STAR CAST FOR 50th ANNIVERSARY
    David Tennant and Billie Piper to return for blockbuster celebrations with John Hurt also confirmed

The BBC has today revealed some of the all-star cast that will mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. David Tennant and Billie Piper will join current Doctor and companion, Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, while John Hurt (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Alien, Harry Potter) will also co-star.

Last seen as the Doctor on January 1st 2010, this will be the first time Tennant has reprised his role as the Tenth Doctor. During his reign as the Time Lord, Tennant appeared in three series as well as several specials. He was first revealed as the Doctor in the 2005 series finale, ‘The Parting of the Ways’.

Meanwhile Billie Piper, who played companion Rose Tyler for two series following the reboot in 2005, will appear in the show for the first time since featuring in Tennant’s last episode, ‘The End of Time’ in 2010.

Also confirmed to join the cast is John Hurt who will also co-star in the 3D anniversary special that will form part of blockbuster celebrations, set to take over the BBC. Produced by BBC Cymru Wales for BBC One, the 50th anniversary will be written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Nick Hurran.

Filming for the 50th anniversary starts this week. Meanwhile a brand new series starts on BBC ONE today (30 March) at 6:15pm for a run of eight epic episodes, which officially introduces the Doctor’s newest companion, Clara Oswald, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Super. That's Ten back.
    Now we just need One to Nine.
    Step in the right direction...

Not so keen on Rose, as her story is done.
    (Nothing against Billie, she did a good job.)
    But I suppose she is the assistant most associated with Ten....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some suggestion that this news was leaked sooner than expected, by the early arrival of the next DW magazine to subscribers.

I'm slightly dissapointed if that's the case. Would've been nice for Matt and Jemma to get all the attention with new episodes starting with tonight's.

Seems a bit overshadowed now.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    they didn't pick it, some people got dwm early because of the easter post

Also, we were rumoured to be getting an announcement today about the 50th as well.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some suggestion that this news was leaked sooner than expected, by the early arrival of the next DW magazine to subscribers.

i think thats exactly what has happened...

...though i'm not sure this is really the case, if anything surely people will be even more hyped up for the episode?
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Also, we were rumoured to be getting an announcement today about the 50th as well.

I think that this may be a seperate announcement possibly. We shall see :)
  • Davetherave70Davetherave70 Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh happy days!
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm slightly dissapointed if that's the case. Would've been nice for Matt and Jemma to get all the attention with new episodes starting with tonight's.

But the extra publicity can only benefit the show to be honest. :)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tennant's return might be a cameo appearance though, don't expect him or Billie Piper to be in the whole episode, The other Doctors might appear as archive material.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now confirmed on the BBC News website:
    David Tennant and Billie Piper will appear in the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed.

Tennant was the 10th Doctor and Piper played his on-screen companion Rose Tyler in the BBC One show.

Filming on the show, which will also star John Hurt, will start next week
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21980892
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In one way I like this, in another I might not.

I love Tennant's Doctor (except for the last Specials, I'd rather pretend they don't exist), and can tolerate Rose most of the time.

But if they're the only former Doctor and companion returning, then I won't be happy. DW doesn't revolve around them, and I for one would much rather see Martha or Donna than Rose, especially since we sadly won't be seeing Sarah Jane (unless in archive material) and I doubt the Ponds will be back.
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    It makes sense to announce Tennant and Piper first to get the current generation of viewers interested...somehow I don't think announcing someone like, say, Sylvestor and Sophie first would generate much buzz other than "those two old gits that choked on celebrity pointless?"

I'm expecting more annoucnements to follow.
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Tennant's return might be a cameo appearance though, don't expect him or Billie Piper to be in the whole episode, The other Doctors might appear as archive material.

True but we could also have Ten/Eleven and Rose/Clara as a team up for a good portion of the episode as well.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    True but we could also have Ten/Eleven and Rose/Clara as a team up for a good portion of the episode as well.

the DWM mock-up image is a good indication of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tennant and Piper will only be in cameo roles i think....what with Matt teasing "paintings" it kinda means every doctor will have a time to shine...but REMEMBER..."it not about going back...its forward" so Matt and Jenna will be the MAIN focus across the 50th 90 mins but echoes of the past a la - Tennant, Piper....most likely the Bakers, Pertwee, Troughton etc will see echoes to the past too in some form....(paintings?? holograms??" we will see :)

But Tennant and Piper will not be the main focus...but rather a nice touch :)...John Hurt however...now THIS is where my excitement is at breaking point! Who will he play? He is a Hollywood Legend! cannot wait...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    BBC Tennant returns article is now the 5th most popular new story on their website. That's good publicity and gets the fans excited about tonight. It's all good.

As another poster said, like it or not, Rose and Ten are the characters most people associated with the NuWho years so far. They also may be shooting their scenes now, which is why the announcement was made.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Tennant returns article is now the 5th most popular new story on their website. That's good publicity and gets the fans excited about tonight. It's all good.

As another poster said, like it or not, Rose and Ten are the characters most people associated with the NuWho years so far. They also may be shooting their scenes now, which is why the announcement was made.

It's now the first :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's brilliant news, I can't wait to see Billie and Matt together on screen again, they had fantastic chemistry between them in Secret Diary of a Call Girl. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE8ExoOcsW4

I'm a bit concerned though that if Rose is returning as the tenth Doctors companion, does that rule out the ninth Doctor returning? Still if we only get one new Who returning Doctor & companion, maybe we will also get a classic Doctor and companion, hopefully the seventh and Ace.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    the DWM mock-up image is a good indication of that.

Some Rose/Clara interactions would be nice.