Options

Downton Abbey - ITV1

Comments

• Options
    jivinjayjivinjay Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    as i live in scotland and don't have sky, i could watch on a sunday night but bought the dvd, took monday off work and watch all 7 episodes in a oner!!!!!

omg - what a fab program - damn you stv!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I read an article about this in the Daily Express the other day which you may find interesting.

I have posted the link below (I think). Hopefully it will work as I have never done this before!

I really enjoyed the article, although I found it all very sad.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/210694/Downton-Abbey-at-war

That article is very interesting , and the link worked. It took me a while to do that!

I was reading a book by the poet , Robert Graves , recently and he told about his WWI experiences. He said some regiments would take anyone , whilst others were very choosey. Some regiments had men aged from 14 to mid fifties. One of the fifty year old guys was a tramp who fancied a bit of action, so he joined up and was killed after a few weeks. One of the boys , 16 or so, fired a machine gun without being taught how to use it, and he fired it directly at a metal post and the bullets came straight back at him and killed him.

Tragic cases still happen today. A bloke who lived nearby was in the T A and went to Afghanistan just last year and was killed , and he was 51 with four daughters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it showed that war had no respect of class or status in the real world and a servant had just as much chance of being killed in the war as the master of the house might. Even the Prime Minister's son who lost his life fighting was given no special treatment and his body was never returned home like many others.

I found it ironic that after WW1 a lot of the great estates who had lost their sons and heirs in the war had the same problem as Lord Grantham in DA and as a result the estates ended up being passed over to distant cousins and relations.

I know DA was only fictional, but there must have been big houses at the time with only daughters to inherit the estate that must have been glad they didn't have sons after all when the war started. Although I did think that if Cora had gone to full-term with her pregnancy and given birth to a son, the chances are he would have gone off to fight in WW2 anyway (I know, I know, taking it all too seriously but still... :))
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess most people are waiting for Santa to bring them the DVD, like me :D I can't wait to get this on DVD, gonna be all nice and cosy, the Christmas tree lights glistening, me with some hot chocolate and watching Downton Abbey all night with no breaks! Ahh can't wait for Christmas!

That paints such a lovely picture :)
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame they've not done a Christmas episode - bet Downton would look lovely all decked out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,091
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    That paints such a lovely picture :)

I'm sooooo doin it boxing day!!!
    Shame they've not done a Christmas episode - bet Downton would look lovely all decked out.

I was put off that they didn't do a xmas episode! Would have looked gorgeous! Plus would have been interesting to see how both up and down stairs celebrate :D. Maybe next series :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Its Sunday, and alreday it doesn't feel the same....:(
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have confirmed series 3 of Downton Abbey according to Julian Fellowes in today's Express - he has until February to deliver the scripts for series 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Its Sunday, and alreday it doesn't feel the same....:(

Yes, there's something missing tonight. I'll have to make do with the son of Lord Havers, instead!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I've found myself rewatching Larkrise just to get my fix of period drama :p Sunday's aren't as good without Downton.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I am hurting at the lack of Downton tonight :(

I usually like I'm A Celeb (only for a laugh in my defence..), but I can't muster any excitement at all seeing as it had taken Downton's slot!
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happylea wrote: »

I usually like I'm A Celeb (only for a laugh in my defence..), but I can't muster any excitement at all seeing as it had taken Downton's slot!

Me too and afraid I missing whats going on ! I hope Mary and Mathew are snogging behind the curtains ! And Bates grabbed Anna and twirled her round the floor and kissed her ,.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xkelly1991 wrote: »
    I was put off that they didn't do a xmas episode! Would have looked gorgeous! Plus would have been interesting to see how both up and down stairs celebrate :D. Maybe next series :D
    I guess they couldn't do a Christmas ep. this season as they need/wanted to end with the announcement of war.

Guess they probably will roll it out next Christmas Day - it's bound to be one of the "must watch". Plus I'd imagine they'll have to contend with Upstairs Downstairs next year too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    ITV have confirmed series 3 of Downton Abbey according to Julian Fellowes in today's Express - he has until February to deliver the scripts for series 2.

Series 3? Whoo!

I rewatched episode 7 today and i'm still tickled by everyone's reactions to the telephone - from intrigue to fear, through to Branson's complete lack of phone answering technique!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    The 'Upstairs' classes like those at Downton would never be the same again after World War 1.

The fate of junior officers in the trenches was in many cases even worse than the Other Ranks. The junior officers were the first over the top during an attack and easily identified by their uniforms. Consequently they were targeted by enemy machine gunners and it wasn't uncommon for all the officers to be killed early in an attack.
    As was posted earlier, Prime Minister Asquith lost his son. Rudyard Kipling lost his and I think Conan Doyle also lost his.

In many cases there was no male heir left for these estates to be passed to and so they were either sold or quickly fell into a state of disrepair.
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,386
    Forum Member
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    I've found myself rewatching Larkrise just to get my fix of period drama :p Sunday's aren't as good without Downton.[/QUOT
    according to other threads Robert might not be in the next series wht will we do if he isnt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    according to other threads Robert might not be in the next series wht will we do if he isnt
    :eek: I didn't know this! I hope it's not true :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member

:eek:

Someone tell me that's not true?! Before I faint..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    :eek: I didn't know this! I hope it's not true :(

I found it on the LRTC thread, I'm not happy either. If you find out anything post here ASAP please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek:

Someone tell me that's not true?! Before I faint..

Happylea
    Never worked out how to multi quote, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Don't now how I'll get through the news series if so.
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I watched 'Garrow's Law'. Brilliant.
    And like 'Downton' one of those programmes where you bemoan the paucity of episodes. (only four, this series of Garrow.) :mad: :(:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do we know when the new series of Larkrise is on?

Off topic sorry :p
  • Options
    TabbyKitten95TabbyKitten95 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avidreader wrote: »
    Long time lurker, first time poster :)

I adored this whole series, thought it was extremely well written and looked fantastic. Brilliant cast as well. I have developed a slight crush on Hugh Bonneville!(snip)
    winenroses wrote: »
    Hooray! I asked earlier if anyone fancied 'Lord Grantham'. Yes, I think he's lovely in this.
    Make that three who thinks he is lovely :D

Ladies, Hugh Bonneville is mine, I've fancied him rotten for years, in everything he's been in. You can't all just turn up and doff your caps to him now! Join the queue! ;)

My take on things:
    O'Brien and Thomas - evil characters, the badness driven mainly by him, and she was swept along with a river of bitterness, but you could almost see her working that out before m'lady slipped on the soap, and wanting to pull back.
    But as actors, the two who played them were fantastic. They were both unrecognisable from other roles they've played in Benidorm and Corrie. The fact we hated their characters so much showed what a good acting job they did. It was almost the end of the first episode before I realised who was playing Thomas. Totally believeable.

Bates - not fussed about him really. Maybe it's the bloke who played, him, but a friend summed up Bates, plus the character Robert Timmins played in Lark Rise to Candleford - the characters are just a little too earnest...
    I seem to remember Joanne Frogatt getting a bit of a lashing on here at the beginning, but I thought her character Anna was really strong.

Mary/Edith hate fest. I have to say, in true sisterly style, 'Edith started it!'. She was vengeful when she wrote the letter, she had nothing to gain, and actually an awful lot to lose, as her sister's bad image would also reflect badly on her. I'm sure she had to put up with a lot, not as out-going as daughter No, not as pretty as daughter no 3, but as a middle child myself, shit happens. Mary got her own back, and Edith lost her ticket out of that place when Lord Old Bloke left in a rush. Karma.....
    I liked Mary, eventually.

I loved Matthew's mum's little digs at the dowager. Fantastic stuff.

I loved the dreses the ladies wore - if buyers have any sense, they'll be getting posh frocks like that in the shops any day now, they were just stunning.

Lord Grantham - I think was a bit of a softy, esp when he continued to share his wife's bed, and said 'I keep my bed made up in my dressing room, for appearances sake'. Fab.
    Hugh Bonneville was pefect in that role.

Loved it all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greygates wrote: »
    Nope! Pre-ordered from Amazon - worked out at £13.47.
    Greygates wrote: »
    I've watched the 'Bonus Material' that I mentioned above.
    I do kinda know what's on the rest of it!!! :D (Too soon to re-watch that bit).
    Lime Kiln wrote: »
    So you have not watched it the DVD yet.

I don't know why Greygates just did not admit that she had not got the dvd yet but had pre-ordered it. so had not watched it yet because I was only answering someone else and saying that the dvd was not available yet, last week.:D why did greygates pretend to have the dvd..:rolleyes: