Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    You just need to delete all of the text you don't want and make sure that the beginning and ending QUOTE text in brackets are still there.

Thanks for that Conniej - will try that next time I have something to say

Want to talk about ' A mother's son ' but unsure when you guys can catch up with it ?

Night, night
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    I was just joking about AR and Al. I don't envision AR in any romantic relationship, if she ever was.

And I wasn't seriously proposing Bert and Ruth either. In fact, in the unlikely event that they romanticise either the Al/Ruth or Bert/Ruth relationships, I'll be most disappointed. The relationship 'as is' between Al and Ruth is something, I think, we have all enjoyed watching, and to learn of cougarish motivations in Ruth now, would really corrupt it, at least for me. Relationships built on friendship and mentorship get short shrift in television dramas these days, but those different sorts of relationships are well depicted in Doc Martin and provide pleasantly contrasting textures alonside the romantic plot between M&L.

My mention of Ruth getting a share in the Large Restaurant comes from the agreement she and Al reach for the repayment of the sum that he misappropriated at the end of Cats and Sharks. Al proposes 10% of the restaurant's profits, and the proceeds from the sale of his scooter, which would pay her back in one go -- almost. She counters by refusing the proceeds from the sale of his scooter as he'll need it to come to work at her farm. I take that to mean that for the first few episodes of S6 at least, she'll be drawing some sort of repayment from the restaurant's profits. It's not envisioned as a long term arrangement, but seeing that that restaurant is always in financial crisis, it may open the door to Ruth being involved with the Larges around the restaurant, as well as with Al around the farm. I would welcome some way (apart from a marriage) of the Large family being tied with the Ellingham family. Biffpup mentioned earlier that someone in the forum had proposed Chris as Al's biological father, and therefore Martin and Al as half brothers. I don't know that I really want to go for that either, but maybe if Ruth were somehow to obtain a permanent share in the Large restaurant, it would accomplish that tie without descending into troubling romantic liasons.

I've been coming across Ian McNeice in some of my recent movie viewing. He was in "The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain" opposite Hugh Grant and Tara Fitzgerald. He had a small role in "Valmont," the movie that sparked the off-screen romance between Colin Firth and Meg Tilley. Last night I watched "84 Charing Cross Road," (a movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft which I watched repeatedly about 15 years ago, I liked it that much, but haven't watched in a while -- certainly not since becoming aware of Ian McNeice as Bert Large) and there he was playing Mr. Humphreys. The variation between these three roles is not as striking as the total transformation we see in Eileen Atkins between, for instance, Doc Martin and Cold Comfort Farm, or in Martin Clunes between Doc Martin and some of his other roles, but Ian McNeice is, IMO, a very good actor, which I have to separate in my mind from the fact I don't particularly like Bert Large, his character.

I agree that complex characters are much more interesting than characters that strike only one note, (as bookfan2 has put it re: Elaine). While Bert's character has been given some shading over the years, I still find that he turns up in pretty predictable ways in most episodes. Rarely has he been given an interesting story-line of his own (S2E3 being perhaps the closest to that. We have also seen him transform from plumber to restauranteur and from overprotective father to tentative tom cat (re: Sheila the napkin lady and Marigold the roadkill maven)). Sometimes characters are fully developed people with their own stories and sometimes they are primarily foils for Martin to play off. That is the contrast I think we see between Pauline and Elaine. Bert, it seems to me, is mostly a character for characters we care about more, like Al, like the Doc and Louisa, to play off...which makes me wonder if S6 may be the time to make him central to some multi-episode subplot (like his battle with a chronic illness) and then to kill him off.

I remember when J.K. Rowling killed off Albus Dumbledore at the end of book 6 I thought, how can there possibly be a wizarding world without him? Reaching back further into my childhood reading, I remember when L.M. Montgomery killed off Matthew toward the end of Anne of Green Gables, I thought, how can "the Anne books" (of which there are at least 5 subsequent) have gone on without him? The way I justified both those deaths to myself as a reader (and I am still happier about Matthew's than about Dumbledore's), was along the lines of "unless a seed fall into the ground and die it cannot bear much fruit." Sometimes characters can be worth more to us dead than they are alive. For instance Matthew's death transformed the relationship between Anne and Marilla, allowing Marilla to channel all the softer attributes that were once found in him. I wonder what grist might be obtained for the mill in terms of Al's character -- in terms of scenes between Al and his avunculars (Martin and Ruth) -- if Bert's character were to be sacrificed at this point?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somehow I feel that DM needs to have an aunt in PW. With AJ in S1 through 4, and with AR coming on board for S5, the continuity was right for me. Perhaps AR will reveal more of the doc's upbringing and his parents to Louisa in S6, because DM certainly will not do it. While I am at it, kudos again to Eileen Aitkins who nailed the role of AR right off in S5E2. For me, that scene where DM tells AR that she does not have lupus remains one of the great acting scenes of S5. These two top actors playing against each other shows me the top professionals they are in British tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Bert, it seems to me, is mostly a character for characters we care about more, like Al, like the Doc and Louisa, to play off...which makes me wonder if S6 may be the time to make him central to some multi-episode subplot (like his battle with a chronic illness) and then to kill him off.

I remember when J.K. Rowling killed off Albus Dumbledore at the end of book 6 I thought, how can there possibly be a wizarding world without him? Reaching back further into my childhood reading, I remember when L.M. Montgomery killed off Matthew toward the end of Anne of Green Gables, I thought, how can "the Anne books" (of which there are at least 5 subsequent) have gone on without him? The way I justified both those deaths to myself as a reader (and I am still happier about Matthew's than about Dumbledore's), was along the lines of "unless a seed fall into the ground and die it cannot bear much fruit." Sometimes characters can be worth more to us dead than they are alive. For instance Matthew's death transformed the relationship between Anne and Marilla, allowing Marilla to channel all the softer attributes that were once found in him. I wonder what grist might be obtained for the mill in terms of Al's character -- in terms of scenes between Al and his avunculars (Martin and Ruth) -- if Bert's character were to be sacrificed at this point?

I think you are right about the role Bert plays in this show. I wonder if that was the intention when the show began -- for Al to play such a prominent part or has the role grown and changed much like the prominence of the ME/LG romantic storyline? Chemistry cannot be denied and the actor who plays Al is terrific.

I don't think we'll see a unknown half-brother storyline. It is too much like a classic soap opera for ME/PB (and me too).

I think the death of Bert is a strong possibility. Like the death of AJ, it would strike at the emotional core of Al, and would provide an opportunity for Martin and Ruth to help. Might even be a reason to bring back Pauline? Could, however, the misdiagnosis that the medical advisor to the show hinted at, be about Bert? Might be interesting given Bert's hypochondria for him to be seriously ill.

Finally, I've been to Prince Edward Island where Anne of Green Gables is a cottage industry. It is every bit as gorgeous as described in the books. And it broke my heart when I read of Matthew's death. Much more than Dumbledore who I knew could show up in other forms
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the process of uploading A Mother's Son. Here's the first of 4 parts of episode 1 on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDDFHyh2GSI
    Forum Member
    ...So I was at a baby shower this afternoon. (What a lame social ritual -- a party (unlike birthdays, anniversaries etc.) that is really about nothing deeper than the gifts). I hadn't been to a baby shower since I was about 8, but in this case I had married the parents and was pleased to be kept in the family loop, as it were. There were roughly 30 women ranging in age from teenagers to great grannies. Of course, being afflicted with Docmartinitis, a condition where all real life events somehow remind one of scenes in Doc Martin, (or it could just have been that I was bored out of my skull), I started comparing this baby shower with the one we see Bert give for Louisa in S4.

The kid at the shower today must have gotten (I do not exaggerate) 100 onesies. Some of the gift bags contained not one but 7 or 8 of them in different patterns and colours. Clothing predominated, but there were also a few toys including one stuffed monkey that looked very like the one given to Louisa, except that it was new and had both its eyes. What strikes me by comparison is how simple JH's entry to the world was. Perhaps Martin will prevail and he will end up a child of privilege, being put through St. Benedict's or someplace equally as expensive. When JH arrives, however, his creche is in a flat pack, he would have had no car seat were it not for Penhale, and he has no rocker or basinette at home. Instead we see him in A DRAWER! The gifts that Louisa is given -- a hand-me-down pram, a lot of hand-me-down junk at the shower, even Joan's gift of ONE onesie, not FIVE in co-ordinating colours on a string of interlocking hangers -- are making the point of simplicity.

Louisa, I suppose, is seen as "disadvantaged" at the shower by the other women in the village, because she has no husband. But there are many women in the village, eg. Mrs. Richards, Mrs. Lane etc. who may have had husbands at the time when their children were born, but do not enjoy that support any longer. Given that the position of head teacher in a village such as Port Wenn would be seen as fairly cushy employment (secure and well remunerated), I don't know what we are supposed to take from that shower scene, and the really quite pathetic gifts that Louisa is given by the other women. I do know one thing, she isn't enjoying herself at that shower, and it's not just because of the nasty things people are saying about Martin, it's about the way she is being caused to see herself. Are the other women of the village taking some sort of malicious pleasure in this, or are they being sincere in their sad gift-offerings, and in their offers of husbands-on-loan?

Going back to Biffpup's question about why Morwenna is so gratutiously insulting toward James Henry, I really think that girls in a community like Portwenn, far from finding babies adorable, see them as sort of the end of life -- the doom that has come too soon upon their mothers and grandmothers, which only a few of the lucky ones have ever managed to escape. Pauline says that the most her mother has expected of her was to be married by her mid twenties with "five brats." We sense her fear of this "doom" when Al presents the gift box to her which she first thinks is an engagement ring, and then realises is his invitation to move in with him. P: "It's really sweet of you Al, but...um.. A: I just thought if you moved in that you wouldn't want to leave, that's all. P: Oh it's not you, I just don't want to stay in Portwenn forever, A: What's out there that you can't get here. P: I just don't want to end up...A: Wot. P: I can see us moving in and getting married, getting fat, getting old, you'd be Bert and I'd be Mrs. Bert, and I've never done anything. I'll come back. You could go off if you wanted and it'd be okay with me." That doesn't explain why Morwenna looks at a rather attractive baby and calls it ugly, but it explains why she wouldn't be nearly so sentimental about babies as some of us on this forum.;)

All the characters in this show, and most of all the Doc and Louisa, are comedicly fractured in some way. If JH were treated by everyone as a little prince, I think it would actually compromise his ability to fit into this show and into his family. If he has to bear some of the abuse from the community that has been his father's portion ever since arriving in Portwenn, it makes him both more sympathetic as a character and more likely to elicit sympathy and solidarity from his parents. Parents tend to be in sympathy and solidarity with their own kids anyway (at least till they begin to grow up), but if there's one thing that would make Martin really fly off the handle, I imagine it would be someone levelling abuse at his son. (We saw that fierce protectiveness toward Louisa when Mr. Strain pushed her over on the beach). JH can't do much in the way of acting, so he truly is just a foil for other characters to play off, and he fulfills that role more interestingly if he is at least somewhat despised and mocked by the community than if he is universally cooed over and loved. He is the child of the community's doctor and its head teacher, so, at least economically, in comparison to other kids in the village, he is a child of privilege, but a decision seems to have been taken to portray him as NOT a child of privilege, because he is much more interesting and full of plot potential that way.
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Yes but Neil is (last time I heard) unmarried and still hasnt grown up past the Men Behaving Badly stage. His career is nowhere near as successful as MC. MC seems to be a bit of a hot head and much more open than PB eg: the reaction to his ex wife's articles and that awful reporter. I think PB's advice has been spot on on those occasions. For all we know its just a discussion and a mutual decision but MC just says things like PB wont let me as an excuse.
    It's great to see MC mature gracefully and stay fit and healthy with his chosen partner.

I think she gives him the structure and stability he needs and most likely very good professional advice. They have shared interests and his career has advanced because of the stability. Structure is good for people and she most likely has his best interests at heart.
    Forum Member
    Finally, I've been to Prince Edward Island where Anne of Green Gables is a cottage industry. It is every bit as gorgeous as described in the books. And it broke my heart when I read of Matthew's death. Much more than Dumbledore who I knew could show up in other forms

Lovely to hear a tribute to "the Island." I grew up across the Northumberland Strait from there in Nova Scotia, and used to have family holidays in Cavendish throughout my childhood summers. Of course, consuming Lucy Maud Montgomery was de rigeur. Among the PE Islanders I've known, there's a love/hate relationship with Anne, who certainly is "a cottage industry" there now. About 20 years ago they brought in a new license plate with Anne (straw hat and red pig tails) on it which had many Islanders refusing to renew their plates at the Department of Motor Vehicles -- imagine the mortification of taking your car off island, perhaps to Ontario, and having it emblazoned with that noxious symbol of twee-dom! So when an idiot reviewer calls Doc Martin "twee" or compares it with "treacle" just because it has been filmed under sunny skies in Cornwall, I can understand why it enrages the local denizens of Port Isaac, and turns them against the show. I'm also concerned that too much merchandising (eg. the "cottage industry" in Doc Martin bobble head dolls) will make MC and PB turn their backs for sure on the character they have cleverly and lovingly "created out of clay."
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A

My mention of Ruth getting a share in the Large Restaurant comes from the agreement she and Al reach for the repayment of the sum that he misappropriated at the end of Cats and Sharks. Al proposes 10% of the restaurant's profits, and the proceeds from the sale of his scooter, which would pay her back in one go -- almost. She counters by refusing the proceeds from the sale of his scooter as he'll need it to come to work at her farm. I take that to mean that for the first few episodes of S6 at least, she'll be drawing some sort of repayment from the restaurant's profits. It's not envisioned as a long term arrangement, but seeing that that restaurant is always in financial crisis, it may open the door to Ruth being involved with the Larges around the restaurant, as well as with Al around the farm.

I've been coming across Ian McNeice in some of my recent movie viewing. He was in "The Englishman who went up a hill and came down a mountain" opposite Hugh Grant and Tara Fitzgerald. He had a small role in "Valmont," the movie that sparked the off-screen romance between Colin Firth and Meg Tilley. Last night I watched "84 Charing Cross Road," (a movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft which I watched repeatedly about 15 years ago, I liked it that much, but haven't watched in a while -- certainly not since becoming aware of Ian McNeice as Bert Large) and there he was playing Mr. Humphreys. The variation between these three roles is not as striking as the total transformation we see in Eileen Atkins between, for instance, Doc Martin and Cold Comfort Farm, or in Martin Clunes between Doc Martin and some of his other roles, but Ian McNeice is, IMO, a very good actor, which I have to separate in my mind from the fact I don't particularly like Bert Large, his character.

Bert, it seems to me, is mostly a character for characters we care about more, like Al, like the Doc and Louisa, to play off...which makes me wonder if S6 may be the time to make him central to some multi-episode subplot (like his battle with a chronic illness) and then to kill him off.

thanks for the explanation of how AR might own a small piece of the Large restaurant. makes sense.

I have also seen Ian MacNeice in the series Rome (it was HBO, on for two seasons, apparently hideously expensive to produce but well done and fascinating, especially if you are a history buff) -- where he was the town crier -- stood on a pedestal and declaimed the news.

And thanks for the mention of Anne of Green Gables -- one of my very favorite books as a child. I must have read it a dozen times -- and the death of Matthew was so beautifully treated.
    Forum Member
    Lovely to hear a tribute to "the Island." I grew up across the Northumberland Strait from there in Nova Scotia, and used to have family holidays in Cavendish throughout my childhood summers. Of course, consuming Lucy Maud Montgomery was de rigeur. Among the PE Islanders I've known, there's a love/hate relationship with Anne, who certainly is "a cottage industry" there now. About 20 years ago they brought in a new license plate with Anne (straw hat and red pig tails) on it which had many Islanders refusing to renew their plates at the Department of Motor Vehicles -- imagine the mortification of taking your car off island, perhaps to Ontario, and having it emblazoned with that noxious symbol of twee-dom! So when an idiot reviewer calls Doc Martin "twee" or compares it with "treacle" just because it has been filmed under sunny skies in Cornwall, I can understand why it enrages the local denizens of Port Isaac, and turns them against the show. I'm also concerned that too much merchandising (eg. the "cottage industry" in Doc Martin bobble head dolls) will make MC and PB turn their backs for sure on the character they have cleverly and lovingly "created out of clay."

I would hate for the Port Isaac folks to loathe the show and hope the merchandising doesn't engender bad feelings or create a problem for Buffalo Productions.

Just returned from a holiday in Nova Scotia and the Halifax Tattoo. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eileen0103 wrote: »
    I think she gives him the structure and stability he needs and most likely very good professional advice. They have shared interests and his career has advanced because of the stability. Structure is good for people and she most likely has his best interests at heart.

I agree. Old drinking buddies are perhaps not the most reliable or disinterested observers of their erstwhile drinking partner's relationships..... or perhaps he was joking, who really knows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in the process of uploading A Mother's Son. Here's the first of 4 parts of episode 1 on YT.

Many thanks, Connie. What would we do without you? You're like a reporter and archivist rolled up in one! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    You know what's a funny question to me in the series--in S3E6, the morning after they've finally had sex, LG asks DM if he regrets what they did.

Why would DM regret that? He certainly didn't, as he makes clear. One imagines they both quite enjoyed the intimacy as we learn from LG at the nutritional supper that she was planning on spending the night, assuming she'd get, and wanting more, of their bedroom experience.

Was DM's initial response in bed hard to figure? One wouldn't think so; I mean, guys are pretty obviously enjoying things in bed, and from that kiss in the taxi when DM was for a moment actively engaging LG (before his idiotic comments), he seemed, for that brief second, very sure of himself.

They had also slept together all night, too; DM didn't get up and head home early. So, they both enjoyed the experience, DM stayed the night, they slept together and LG is still wondering if he regretted it.

Was that just LG's own insecurity? Had SHE regretted it?

That's a good question. I think it's an example of Louisa's insecurities. I understand why she asks him to propose to her again, but her questioning him about his staying the night is a different story. Are you sneaking out? Has this happened to her before? It must have. And now this is the man she loves more than any she has loved before. Insecurity!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks, Connie. What would we do without you? You're like a reporter and archivist rolled up in one! :p

I watched part 1 live this afternoon using ExPat Shield. That was kind of exciting being able to watch live. Now I'm all set for about 12 months from now! :p

I really enjoyed part 1 and can't wait to see the conclusion tomorrow. One interesting thing about watching live was that I was also watching the commercials. So, about halfway through, what commercial came up? The one with Martin & Churchill where he is lying in the hammock in the backyard. It made me wonder if having that type of commercial played during a dramatic program with the actor in the commercial playing a role in the program is not the smartest thing.

Here MC was doing a very nice job of playing Ben who is caught up in a stressful family situation and during the break we are reminded that he is just an actor playing a role. Don't think that was a wise decision by the insurance company.
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    That's a good question. I think it's an example of Louisa's insecurities. I understand why she asks him to propose to her again, but her questioning him about his staying the night is a different story. Are you sneaking out? Has this happened to her before? It must have. And now this is the man she loves more than any she has loved before. Insecurity!

I think Louisa is insecure and Martin is clueless. That seems to be a constant theme between them - in and out of bed :)

But what strikes me about those two "engagement" episodes is the lack of physical affection between the two. I don't expect huge PDAs from Martin, but he seems surprised that Louisa expected to spend the night after the nutritious dinner. It is once again Louisa taking the initiative for any physical intimacy. He says he is pleased -- but if she hadn't brought it up, would he have asked her to stay? For that matter, why did they not just move in together once they were engaged?

It's not a question of sex, but rather the idea that, as an engaged couple, they would have wanted to spend their time together.

Which leads me to the conclusion, which I think we've often discussed, that Martin is, in Series 3, more in love with the "idea" of Louisa than with the actual woman. He doesn't know her that well. And it leads me to think that some of his actions, like suggesting the nasal strips, pointing out her use of salt on potatoes as unhealthy, were unconscious attempts to end the engagement before they reached the wedding day.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow, that's pretty intense! Thanks for putting the first part up, Conniej. MC is great as the dad and looks very good. I can sense how things are going to get even more powerful in the second half.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    thanks for the explanation of how AR might own a small piece of the Large restaurant. makes sense.

I have also seen Ian MacNeice in the series Rome (it was HBO, on for two seasons, apparently hideously expensive to produce but well done and fascinating, especially if you are a history buff) -- where he was the town crier -- stood on a pedestal and declaimed the news.

Ian MacNeice also played the role of Potipher in the version of ' The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat ' with Donnie Osmond in the lead role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Louisa is insecure and Martin is clueless. That seems to be a constant theme between them - in and out of bed :)

But what strikes me about those two "engagement" episodes is the lack of physical affection between the two. I don't expect huge PDAs from Martin, but he seems surprised that Louisa expected to spend the night after the nutritious dinner. It is once again Louisa taking the initiative for any physical intimacy. He says he is pleased -- but if she hadn't brought it up, would he have asked her to stay? For that matter, why did they not just move in together once they were engaged?

It's not a question of sex, but rather the idea that, as an engaged couple, they would have wanted to spend their time together.

Which leads me to the conclusion, which I think we've often discussed, that Martin is, in Series 3, more in love with the "idea" of Louisa than with the actual woman. He doesn't know her that well. And it leads me to think that some of his actions, like suggesting the nasal strips, pointing out her use of salt on potatoes as unhealthy, were unconscious attempts to end the engagement before they reached the wedding day.

That's a very interesting thought BookFan. I would add,, dropping the ring into the mashed potatoes. There was also a bit later more than a little bravado in the scene where they talk about getting married in 3 weeks, and both deny, a little too much, that the short time frame concerns them. So, we might theorize that he actually was beginning to wonder subconsciously what he -- a person with rather profound intimacy difficulties, in my opinion at least -- had got himself into, and engage in some sabotaging behavior.

Tying back to an earlier discussion -- maybe Louisa was not just insecure in her question as to whether he regretted spending the night,, but had some intuitive sense of his difficulties with committment.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    On the bedroom scene between DM & LG. I have always been struck by the tenderness with which DM responds to LG's questions. Something I'd like to see more of in S6

One small quibble with poorrichard54's analysis. I don't think LG/CC can have a bad hair day.

And thanks to Connie for posting A Mother's Son. I am always amazed at how technically capable this group seems to be.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think it was necessary or appropriate for them to move in together. Both are rather traditional that way, and I think living together after they were married seemed to fit DM best, and maybe LG, too, being the head teacher at school. After all, it may indeed be that DM didn't feel comfortable having sex without a clear sense of deep commitment between them. He had intimacy issues, absolutely, but it also seemed that he wanted real commitment before having sex, which is old fashioned, indeed, but also kind of sweet.

Well, in S4 we learn that they did indeed have sex more than the once we know for sure, and the one we imagine happens, the after the nutritional dinner sex. It seems from LG explaining to EM when she and DM had sex, it was more than just twice. So, what we see on screen is not wholly what happened between them behind scenes. And, DM does do the leaning forward of the kiss on the patio scene, and is obviously very sorry (sorry, sorry, sorry) his phone interrupted them. I think we are led to believe he would have initiated that bit of closeness if his duties had not stopped them. That sort of bonding no doubt happened more than that, and we were given a brief glimpse of some of their off screen closeness.

And, even though I think they spent close time together, we do see that LG and DM are going to have to adapt as a couple to him being on call 24/7 as the doc to PW and surroundings. We see that theme from the get go at the beginning of their relationship and all throughout all of the series. DM is as committed to his duty of care as he is to being with LG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Perhaps once we find out in the next couple of weeks who has signed a contract to be part of the cast for S6 we can have a vision as to where they want the storyline to go.

Is it that time? In the past have there been announcements, press releases, online info, gossip, or whatever about contract signings?
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thks so much Connie interesting to see MC in a minor role, can't wait to see episode 2, I have my suspicions... Interesting billing "and Martin Clunes"
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my grandsons recently started middle school and he came home to describe one of his new teachers, he's Doc Martin.:D
    Here in New Jersey the state university Rutgers just named a new president who is a physician and PhD. He was trained as a clinical neurologist who later became president of a Philadelphia college. He accepted this new appointment in New Jersey as we are in the process of a takeover of two medical school campuses. When he first moved into his office, he immediately found a non-working 19th century grandfather clock that hasn't been fixed in over 20 years. Within a few hours, he had it working--his hobby is clocks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Thks so much Connie interesting to see MC in a minor role, can't wait to see episode 2, I have my suspicions... Interesting billing "and Martin Clunes"

I think that "and Martin Clunes" is a nod to his star status, even though he doesn't have a leading role.

Am quite excited to see Part 2 tonight -- MC has said this called on his acting chops to the max and didn't see that evident in Part 1.

For those who did watch part 1:
    On which kid's computer did the mom discover the violent porn?
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I don't think it was necessary or appropriate for them to move in together. Both are rather traditional that way, and I think living together after they were married seemed to fit DM best, and maybe LG, too, being the head teacher at school. After all, it may indeed be that DM didn't feel comfortable having sex without a clear sense of deep commitment between them. He had intimacy issues, absolutely, but it also seemed that he wanted real commitment before having sex, which is old fashioned, indeed, but also kind of sweet.

I agree that DM is a traditional man -- as is Louisa -- but I'm not sure that living together after an engagement was out of their comfort zone, but rather that they actually don't know each other very well. Whatever decision a couple makes -- to live together, not live together -- is fine, as long as they actually talk about it. But I get the sense that the lack of communication between them is a key component of their problems. They both need to be able to say what they want/need -- and not be afraid that expressing it means the end of the relationship.

I assume it is deliberate by the writers that it is Louisa who 90+% of the time is the one who initiates a physical gesture of intimacy. She kisses him first in the cab, she talks about seducing him, she grabs his hand when they are outside the surgery doors in the Peter Cronk episode. She grabs him for a passionate kiss while in labor.

It's not to say that Martin doesn't want and enjoy sex with Louisa -- but he is clearly waiting for her to take the lead. Perhaps when he feels more comfortable and assured about the relationship, we'll see a bolder Martin -- sure hope so :)
This discussion has been closed.