Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VicsMum wrote: »
    Thanks, TK Mazin, that thread is fantastic and some of the posts are bang on!

Haha, no worries :cool:. And please call me TK :).
    Yes, that thread is indeed fantastic. Unfortunately, people don't post on it that often really, so I came over to this thread. Glad I did too :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    Thanks T.K.

I've been mulling over Dugdale a lot of late, he really is a contrary bundle of stuff.might type out some of my thoughts about him in the next few days if I can make reasonable sense of him!

Haha, yeah. It will be interesting to see how Dugdale fits into the story at large. I wonder if he will end up on the run like the Utopia forum members?

My guess is Dugdale will bump into Jessica Hyde and the gang at some point and inform them about the Network's scheme to engineer a "utopia" with the Russian Flu. He will then proceed to help them put a stop to the spread of the flu on a global scale.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh some people's brains are working over time on this!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh some people's brains are working over time on this!

A sign of a great show, and some enquiring minds, both good things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Yes but only a couple of dozen on this thread, it seems like the rest of the population have stopped watching, which judging by the fact that this series can't even break into Channel 4's own top ten, sums up just how popular it is(n't)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A sign of a great show, and some enquiring minds, both good things.

Agreed. I can't remember a show of the last few years that has intrigued me as much as Utopia has. Let's hope the remaining 3 episodes keeps up the quality for those of us who are enjoying it and brings a nice conclusion to the two central storylines.
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    Yes but only a couple of dozen on this thread, it seems like the rest of the population have stopped watching, which judging by the fact that this series can't even break into Channel 4's own top ten, sums up just how popular it is(n't)

It's clearly not for everyone's taste. It's scyfy(ey), ultra violent, the cinematography is very different from all that's been shown recently. I wouldn't say the plot is the most innovative but the themes of surveilance/covering tracks/genetic modification are realistic enough to play with my imagination.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    It's clearly not for everyone's taste. It's scyfy(ey), ultra violent, the cinematography is very different from all that's been shown recently. I wouldn't say the plot is the most innovative but the themes of surveilance/covering tracks/genetic modification are realistic enough to play with my imagination.

Hi

I just registered to this forum to follow that thread and reply to your post. Please excuse my english as it is not my native language !

2 points that go together :

- As you say, the plot is actually "realistic enough". Recent studies in psychology, along with the use of brain scanners, have shown that a low % of any given population (about 1 to 5%), do not have any normal feelings (love, grief, guilt, etc.).

I have no idea how they are called in english (sociopaths ? Antisocial behavior ?), but it is a documented fact. Some part of their brains just do not activate.

It is of course a show and still science fiction, but it is not entirely crazy to think that advances in genetics (to target specific part of the DNA), along with behaviorist training from childhood, could select people like Arby and "Jessica". And that from the point of view of these scientists, as creepy as it sounds and is*, it would be a benefit to humanity (hence for them, it is an "utopia").

Which leads me to the second point...

- The violence. In my humble point of view, it should be regarded as an inside joke in regards to point 1. Dark humor, but not useless. It is so extreme that it is (remember, IMHO !) actually meant to make you think about what would be the world in such an utopia, putting you in the head of these "improved" humans. That's probably what the inner journey of Arby is all about.

Olaf
    * : not only is it immoral, a point they would not care about at all, but it is also pointless, as emotions have been proven to be an essential part of the learning process and, generaly speaking, intelligence. As is pointed out in Utopia, as "Jessica" and Arby look and act like beeing deeply "broken". This "Utopia" would actually send humanity backward at the speed of light.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gatehouse wrote: »
    Milner-does anyone trust her? She rang back incredibly quickly;
    I just watched this again. She rings back about 7 seconds after the first call ends, which is quite quick but not impossibly so, especially if she started reacting as soon as Jessica's name was mentioned. Similarly there's an unknown amount of time between the phone calls and her arriving at the chapel. I don't think the timing is intended as a clue.
    the skinhead bloke was already parked outside the gangs hideout-and probably had been for some time. Kinda implies that she knew they were there already. And she also turns up a bit too conveniently quickly-at the location of her choosing-just in time to be the hero.
    You're right about the skinhead being at the house. I doubt he's in cahoots with Milner, though, given that she killed him, without it achieving much. I think he was with one of the other women.

If Becky, then it would make some sense that he was following her to keep an eye on her, and for backup. She could have told him where they were. Presumably someone was watching her, as they knew to ring the phone booth as she passed at the end of ep2. He may have barged into the church alone because he expected her to help control the others. Although his motives would be obscure. He could have just waited to see if Becky shouted for help, or contacted him some other way.

It would also make some sense if he was in cahoots with Jessica Hyde. She could have left someone to keep an eye on the other three while she went off with Grant. His motive for barging in when he did would be to discover why they made the unexpected change of location. He may have thought they'd cooperate more because he and they are both on Jessica's side.

I doubt he was Network. Foolish if so to go in alone (especially as he could have caught Milner by waiting). It could represent a new faction, but similar comments apply. And it would be a faction too many. I do hope he's explained. Now he's dead he may not be.
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did I miss something or has there been an entire half hour without anyone getting their brains splattered all over the walls? That's definitely a first in this series.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    This still confuses me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Becky is not to be trusted it seems
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What mission was Ian doing then? I wasn't concentrating
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becky is not to be trusted it seems

Well wasn't Becky investigating Utopia because of her dad? Maybe it seems sinister but the person she is calling is simply her bf or something.

Would certainly make her out to be a hypocrite with all this Ian stuff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craggers wrote: »
    What mission was Ian doing then? I wasn't concentrating
    He tried to contact his father, but the Milner woman or whatever her name is had him under surveillance and stopped him. I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craggers wrote: »
    Well wasn't Becky investigating Utopia because of her dad? Maybe it seems sinister but the person she is calling is simply her bf or something.

Would certainly make her out to be a hypocrite with all this Ian stuff

Nah she is suspect
  • SanguiniusSanguinius Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty wierd series, sometimes hard to follow but it sure is gripping.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Wilson's really grown into his role I thought he was unconvincing first episode
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    Pretty wierd series, sometimes hard to follow but it sure is gripping.
    I would've said that previously, but I thought this episode was on the slow side. Possibly they felt that it needed a change of pace after three episodes, but I'm not sure it worked. Also the emphasis was very much on the hows and whys of the conspiracy, which doesn't interest me that much. It's more the visual side of the show that makes it stand out for me.
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    drykid wrote: »
    He tried to contact his father, but the Milner woman or whatever her name is had him under surveillance and stopped him. I think.

His brother, not his father.
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am :confused:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont't blame Wilson for getting pissed at the rest, tho I dont like what he said about the young girl earlier.

Anyone interested for the music in the show, here is the composer responsible

http://www.cristobaltapiadeveer.com/utopia.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, it was a bit of a slow episode. But we did learn a few things about the conspiracy, which is always good. There's nothing worse than watching an episode of some show where you learn nothing about the mystery at hand and have to wait another week. I also liked that the writers dipped more into the mythology of the comic as at times it has felt like a pure MacGuffin. Hopefully, things will pick up with the final two episodes.

*Awaits Gatehouse's review* :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His brother, not his father.
    Ahh ok, I stand corrected.

Oh, and Grant is a suspiciously talented artist. Something a little more child-like would have been more plausible, and still allowed them to keep the plot device of him being able to recreate the pages of the manuscript from memory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need a slow ep just to bring things back down, have a breather and then ramp it up again!