What Remains, BBC1&HD, 9pm, 25 Aug, 1-8-15 Sep

Comments

• Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't there something about Kieron having a box or something up in the attic? Maybe Melissa went up there to look at the catalogue and nosiness got the better of her and she looked at whatever he had hidden up there and got a whack on the head for her trouble???

The teacher is too obvious, as is the "nasty" lesbian.

I reckon Liz took her laptop and there may be something on there that would help with the investigation (bit like Broadchurch)

Adam is very creepy indeed. Hardly a likeable character in it, really, but I am really enjoying it!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    We saw strange Liz with a laptop, it could easily be weird teachers. But it stood out to me because we know the laptop is missing, and that Liz likes to steal things. Maybe i'm reading into it too much, Liz seems to collect trinkets, a laptop is a whole other level of theft.

But... if Liz knew that Melissa was dead / missing when she stole/ took it... it's not stealing from someone who'll miss it so to speak so she might justify it that way? Hmmmm....

Also did wonder if any of those trinkets had belonged to Melissa's mother. Maybe Liz had stolen them from her when she was ill or maybe they were left to Joe...

As for whether Joe's doing a good thing or not... I think he clearly enjoys the whole having-someone-to-control thing, and he doesn't seem to lose any sleep over manipulating a vulnerable person as well (that creepy comment about something bad always happening when she goes upstairs! I wonder if she had previously stumbled on Melissa's body before it was officially discovered and this is what he's referring to...). But then again he doesn't seem to be overly cruel either. It's all very weird, I suppose he could either be using her or protecting her... or both actually.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    salad-days wrote: »
    But... if Liz knew that Melissa was dead / missing when she stole/ took it... it's not stealing from someone who'll miss it so to speak so she might justify it that way? Hmmmm....

Also did wonder if any of those trinkets had belonged to Melissa's mother. Maybe Liz had stolen them from her when she was ill or maybe they were left to Joe...

As for whether Joe's doing a good thing or not... I think he clearly enjoys the whole having-someone-to-control thing, and he doesn't seem to lose any sleep over manipulating a vulnerable person as well (that creepy comment about something bad always happening when she goes upstairs! I wonder if she had previously stumbled on Melissa's body before it was officially discovered and this is what he's referring to...). But then again he doesn't seem to be overly cruel either. It's all very weird, I suppose he could either be using her or protecting her... or both actually.

Yes that's possible, we know Liz has been in the flat since she was caught there at the end of last weeks episode. It would all fit together if it turned out Liz did steal the laptop. I almost forgot that Joe had access to the flat as a friend to Melissa's mother. I don't think either of them killed her, but they may be hiding crucial evidence.

It's certainly a strange set up, Joe is hiding Liz for some reason, everyone thinks he lives alone, that is what strikes me as a bit creepy. But it may turn out that he is protecting her, they don't seem to be in a relationship, at least not anymore, perhaps they did have a teacher/pupil affair that has disintergrated into what we see now. Liz hanging about the flat having dinner ready for Joe the minute he steps throught the door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that's possible, we know Liz has been in the flat since she was caught there at the end of last weeks episode. It would all fit together if it turned out Liz did steal the laptop. I almost forgot that Joe had access to the flat as a friend to Melissa's mother. I don't think either of them killed her, but they may be hiding crucial evidence.

It's certainly a strange set up, Joe is hiding Liz for some reason, everyone thinks he lives alone, that is what strikes me as a bit creepy. But it may turn out that he is protecting her, they don't seem to be in a relationship, at least not anymore, perhaps they did have a teacher/pupil affair that has disintergrated into what we see now. Liz hnging about the flat having dinner ready for Joe the minute he steps throught the door.

Something else I thought: for someone who presumably never actually ventures outside in to the fresh air, she looks slightly too healthy to me:o Wouldn't she look a little more drawn, sort of ashen or hungover, complexion-wise? Then again, maybe not... no idea, I've never tried it:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Ratings Thread

25 Aug What Remains 4.48m/20.6%
    1 Sep What Remains: 3.73m /15.6%

Quite a dip. Shame. I think it's good.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    From Ratings Thread

25 Aug What Remains 4.48m/20.6%
    1 Sep What Remains: 3.73m /15.6%

Quite a dip. Shame. I think it's good.

Well I did say the first episode was too convoluted.

Fine to introduce the mystery, but it really was very confusing, to the point where you lost your bearings completely.
    I watched the first ep again, and enjoyed the 2nd, but I can see why many people gave up.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will probably keep watching, now that I have started, but do not really feel engaged with the story. Do I care how Melissa died? Not really - it seems quite likely that it may have been an accident. Presumably someone else must have been involved in some way to explain how the lift ladder was put away?

It does seem (now at least) that everyone has access to the attic, so it is amazing that it is not full of junk - I know there is a lot of stuff in my attic, but I have my own house. If I lived in a flat like that, and there was space in the attic, I am sure that I would have put a few things up there - obviously not things of great value!

Why was Len in the attic hammering some boards down?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I will probably keep watching, now that I have started, but do not really feel engaged with the story. Do I care how Melissa died? Not really - it seems quite likely that it may have been an accident. Presumably someone else must have been involved in some way to explain how the lift ladder was put away?

It does seem (now at least) that everyone has access to the attic, so it is amazing that it is not full of junk - I know there is a lot of stuff in my attic, but I have my own house. If I lived in a flat like that, and there was space in the attic, I am sure that I would have put a few things up there - obviously not things of great value!

Why was Len in the attic hammering some boards down?

^ to stop the leak going in to flats 4 and 5 I think. Weird that it wasn't done sooner though!

BiB suddenly had a grim thought - I wonder if there's nothing up there because everyone knew through one way or another that Melissa was up there, and there was a sort of unspoken pact that nobody would go up ? Would never (I hope!) ever happen in real life but might explain the creepiness of nobody storing anything up there :confused: although I forget whether there was much in it anyway before she died, when she and CreepyCanadaGuy went up there... if not then that's my theory blown :D
  • kingofscotlandkingofscotland Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also wanted to say that I find Melissa's character really moving. She comes across as a shy, sweet, kind woman, riddled with insecurities. The moment with her watching the kittens being sweet on her laptop and smiling and laughing was really touching:(

Did Melissa have a laptop?

I don't remember seeing any scenes of her with a laptop laughing at kittens :confused:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

I don't remember seeing any scenes of her with a laptop laughing at kittens :confused:
    Maybe it bored you to tears and you fell asleep.

It did for me but was that slow, long and drawn out that I work up 30 minutes later and it was on the same scene so I didn't actually miss anything!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol ! Did you miss the beginning by any chance? ;):D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She did, though. We're not kidding you, honest. :)

(I thought it was a bit weird, actually. Who sits looking at kittens on their laptop and giving sickly smiles? Perhaps Adam was right, she was too good for this world).
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had a router (or at least if you search for router in the thread you get near agreement), so suggests she had a pc or wifi device. Presumably a check of her utility bills by the police revealed whether she paid for broadband.
    I guess I missed the kittens bit.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was looking at her laptop when the lesbian couple arrived to persuade her to be photographed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason there was no junk in the attic was it was said by one of them that Kieron and Joe had a following out over Kieron storing stuff up there when he first moved in as it wasn't allowed.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ to stop the leak going in to flats 4 and 5 I think. Weird that it wasn't done sooner though!

BiB suddenly had a grim thought - I wonder if there's nothing up there because everyone knew through one way or another that Melissa was up there, and there was a sort of unspoken pact that nobody would go up ? Would never (I hope!) ever happen in real life but might explain the creepiness of nobody storing anything up there :confused: although I forget whether there was much in it anyway before she died, when she and CreepyCanadaGuy went up there... if not then that's my theory blown :D

Wasnt it because he was worried someone had got in to the flat?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The journalist woman did it. She knew the victim.
    Will collect my prize in 2 weeks

I think you could be right. She's too good an actress not to have something worthwhile to do towards the end.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    My opinion of Adam, is that he needs a good slap. From the teaser for next week it looks like he is giving Pamela a hard time. And she is the nicest character.....I bet she did it!
    I felt really sorry for Len getting stood up by his neighbour. He is trying to be more sociable, pity it's not working out so far. Someone mentioned last week that Len may use his new archery skills on the murderer, after seeing him practice, it is becoming more of a possibility, I think it would be amazing if he whipped out a bow and arrow to take someone out. It would be a bit different anyway.

Still really enjoying it so far. I like that all the suspects are in such close quarters, gives a claustraphobic vibe.

There are supposed to be loose parallels between the 'alone and unmissed' Melissa, and Len's own life. I wonder if the way he went and removed the spark plugs after the hurtful rejection was in any way aligned to any action of Melissa's? And what are the consequences - what will happen with Len's neighbour after that? What 'threat' did Melissa 'not make, really' to Elaine and whotshername?

gilesb wrote: »
    On her lap top which is now missing..........

Or at least i am sure the inspector bloke made reference to the fact that there was "no laptop and wasn't that strange" in episode one

Laptop that Liz has is Melissa's, deffo :)
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still watching this, though in places it's a bit boring.
    Always impressed with Indira Varma, very versatile.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still enjoying it, although it is slow. I'm still dying to know what on earth is going on with Liz and the teacher. They are the ones I find most interesting. I also find Adam disturbing, and I'm really concerned about what he's up to with his father's girlfriend, and the phonecall to Len. Just messing about, or actually up to no good. Len could easily get his ex-colleagues to find out where that call came from couldn't he?

I found the scenes of Len preparing and then waiting for his neighbour, just heartbreaking. Very sad.
  • CubicEyesCubicEyes Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    What 'threat' did Melissa 'not make, really' to Elaine and whotshername?

She threatened to take legal action about the photos; that was what Elaine said when she got so furious at Melissa.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was Vidya aiming to achieve by making a fake Facebook profile for Melissa? Get weirdos to worm themselves out of the woodwork or just contact friends who might not have known what had happened??
    I still can't work that out. What would she ask them and what would she say to any questions?
    How was it that someone was searching for Melissa so soon after the profile was created?
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watched the first part of this and made a rather half-hearted start on the second. Nah, it didn't exactly keep us gripped, so we stuck in an old Avengers disc instead. Now that's entertainment!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why the neighbour stood Len up. And arsing about with the spark plugs in revenge was just bizarre!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    I don't really believe the whole thing about how the lesbians' company bid for the catalogue business - by taking a load of photos, putting together a whole brochure and printing up a whole box-full of copies of it before they know whether they are awarded the contract or not? Why would they waste money on printing all those copies, instead of about half a dozen, for a start? And would they really need to do a whole brochure full of photos as a sample, rather than just a couple?

As a freelance graphic designer and photographer, you don't even do that, you show a portfolio of past work, with maybe a mock-up. And come to that, doing the photo's with a rough bit of old sheet in your living room. No-way.