Channel 4 Educating Yorkshire

Comments

• Tom_FTom_F Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    The show is disingenuous, stage managed garbage, and I suspect many of the scenes are scripted. I've no doubt it appeals to TOWIE and Made In Chelsea devotees.

Because OFSTED and the local authority would allow such a thing?
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't believe that the school allowed Georgia to attend whilst having a piercing in her face.

Talking of which did anybody else notice the resemblance between Georgia and Paris Brown (the foul-mouth former Youth Commissioner for Kent). :confused:
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I still can't believe that the school allowed Georgia to attend whilst having a piercing in her face.
    Yeah I was surprised by that as schools are very strict on piercings.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The headteacher is like a comedy parody of a "trendy", Nu-Labour style head- dreadful man (and it didn't go unnoticed he effectively condoned bullying by using terms like 'swot' and 'nerd')

Georgia was absolutely foul. I've often wanted to be a teacher, but people like her make me realise what a hard job it is. She can't accept "no" as an answer, and comes from a family that sees attending school as optional. I'm glad she didn't get to go to the prom- if only so we were spared the bulbous chiffon nightmare she'd have no doubt chosen to wear (seriously, why do so many girls aspire to look as much like a drag queen as they can when it comes to their leavers ball)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Head Teacher is doing a difficult job very well. He's has always explained his reasoning and actions very well and is having to walk a fine line between discipline and respect.
    Hence him "shutting down" the other teacher. His decision was made, he is in charge.

It certainly is a tough decision with Jac. If he were my son, I would be happy that he had punched whichever bully had pushed him to breaking point, but he would have to know that violence is a bad route to go down. School is a good place to learn these boundaries.
    Exclusion may seem harsh, but the other boys were excluded too, and it was Jac's second offence (that we knew of). The head did remind Jac that he had other options, and part of growing up is to learn those.

What head teachers and teachers really need is the support of parents. These days it seems every attempt at discipline is undermined by parents who cannot accept any sort of responsibility, or believe their kids could be wrong. Its the endemic self-entitlement that pervades our society.

One thing rang out from last night's programme was that all of Georgia's siblings fell out of school, and she just about stayed in. That says a lot, to me, about her parents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme may be okay as a one-off. But a series is stretching it a bit.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Made me quite angry really. That headmaster wants a reality check. The education authority should put in an investigation.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    junnja wrote: »
    This programme may be okay as a one-off. But a series is stretching it a bit.
    First series did OK.

Pleased Georgia didn't go to the Prom - wish she hadn't gone to the School too.

Had to feel sorry for Jac, but he shouldn't have retaliated from the Bullying.

Did like the Booking of the Limo's.:D
    And the Lad wanting the Cane back.:eek:
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    I have to say to you all questioning her grades, this is something you need to think about. Most schools only allow you to do that many GCSEs if you can cope with it and are achieving good enough grades really. So yes her behaviour was far from perfect but she could be quite clever or more intelligent than you're assuming. Some people just have a problem with authority unfortunately and ruin their chances at a good education.

Quite often a BTEC can (or it certainly used to) count as up to 4gcse grades... therefore it is possible she was not doing 13 separate GCSE's but one or two BTECs which would be one subject counting for a number of those grades.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    First series did OK.

Pleased Georgia didn't go to the Prom - wish she hadn't gone to the School too.

Had to feel sorry for Jac, but he shouldn't have retaliated from the Bullying.

Did like the Booking of the Limo's.:D
    And the Lad wanting the Cane back.:eek:
    Having been there... and having been repeatedly bullied... what would you want Jac to do? Fantasise about killing himself?
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I think the Head Teacher is doing a difficult job very well. He's has always explained his reasoning and actions very well and is having to walk a fine line between discipline and respect.
    Hence him "shutting down" the other teacher. His decision was made, he is in charge.

It certainly is a tough decision with Jac. If he were my son, I would be happy that he had punched whichever bully had pushed him to breaking point, but he would have to know that violence is a bad route to go down. School is a good place to learn these boundaries.
    Exclusion may seem harsh, but the other boys were excluded too, and it was Jac's second offence (that we knew of). The head did remind Jac that he had other options, and part of growing up is to learn those.

What head teachers and teachers really need is the support of parents. These days it seems every attempt at discipline is undermined by parents who cannot accept any sort of responsibility, or believe their kids could be wrong. Its the endemic self-entitlement that pervades our society.

One thing rang out from last night's programme was that all of Georgia's siblings fell out of school, and she just about stayed in. That says a lot, to me, about her parents.

Although I agree about Jac needing to know violence is not the only way (it seemed like it was at least the third time by the time he was excluded)- and how difficult it is to manage - not enough is done to punish the bullies who kicked it off in the first place, which allows the bullies to 'win' and get away with it - a terrible message to send out.

As his mate put it - "you're being excluded for being bullied. AGAIN". I really hope the staff take a good look at how it looks from the outside and reconsider how they manage bullying in future - at least the Deputy Head questioned the decision though he was shut down pretty quickly, and I think that was wrong. Jac-Henry is simply easier to punish because he is more compliant. Yes, being able to take responsibility for his own reactions to idiots will serve him better in life, and absolutely they do need to address that, but it's still unjust and unbalanced in the grand scheme of things if you don't give out much more severe punishments to the perpetrators.

Georgia herself had been excluded six times (no effect, obviously), and I think the boy who Jac-Henry punched got excluded as well. I was glad Georgia wasn't allowed to go to the Prom but the head had no need to be apologetic; he should've stated it simply and firmly. He appeared intimidated by her and that's no good for the other kids.

I suppose it's some consolation to know that if you look at the likes of Jac-Henry and Georgia twenty or so years down the line, it's pretty certain who's going to turn out to have had the better life.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit concerned about the number of lessons some pupils are missing because of long spells in "Isolation". I know they'll be sent the work to do but how can they do it properly if they're not taught the subject matter first? Doesn't it lead to gaps in knowledge developing?

Didn't enjoy this episode as much. And I hope the entire series isn't about conflicts between pupils and discipline. There's more to school life than that.

Bring back Ryan!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If those running this school exerted some proper discipline, banned body piercing, bleach-blonde hair, mobile phones and enforced a proper dress code, not a half-assed one, then there wouldn't be enough to make one programme, let alone a series.
    It's doing the school no favours and I'm beginning to be less impressed with the head teacher each week, though he talks a good job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If those running this school exerted some proper discipline, banned body piercing, bleach-blonde hair, mobile phones and enforced a proper dress code, not a half-assed one, then there wouldn't be enough to make one programme, let alone a series.
    It's doing the school no favours and I'm beginning to be less impressed with the head teacher each week, though he talks a good job.

For the staff as well as for the students!
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Just watched the episode! I have a slightly different take on the way things went.

Firstly, I agree with the people on here that at the start, Georgia certainly should have been disciplined for her role in the incident - I don't know why she wasn't, maybe it just wasn't clear how provoking she had been. You can't get everything right unfortunately. Having said that, I thought that the way she was handled in the rest of the episode was fair. I remember Mr Goddard saying on Educating Essex that he almost never permanently excludes pupils, because excluded pupils very rarely manage to straighten themselves out. I think that it is possible to get through to every student - and I think that at the end, Mr Mitchell did that. Georgia took the news about not being allowed to go to the prom surprisingly well, she regretted the way that she had been, and presumably she learned something from that as she has been successful, achieved thirteen GCSEs (the subjects and grades aren't important to me, they're still an achievement that you can't get without working hard) and hopefully has grown up a bit and become more mature. Apparently she has become pregnant since - nothing wrong with having a baby at a young age, if that's what you want to do. It wasn't so long ago that middle-class women were getting married and having children at that age; it has only been the last thirty years or so that people (women especially) have started waiting until later. I don't have a problem with either decision, it's personal choice. Good luck to Georgia and her baby, if she reads this.

Jac-Henry. I didn't think he was treated as unfairly as people seem to. It seemed unfair to start out with simply because Georgia didn't get the same punishment, but actually I thought his punishments were fair. As people said, he was a lot more calm around the teachers than Georgia, but he obviously wasn't able to keep his cool around his peers quite so much. I didn't think that he was being punished for being bullied, he was punished for reacting to it and hitting people. I think that if you hit someone, it shouldn't matter what provocation there was, that's still wrong. The person who provoked you should be sanctioned as well (which I think should have happened to Georgia at the start, although I accept that the school can't get everything right), but that shouldn't lessen the consequences for the person who hits someone. I think that the anger management probably helped, as Jac-Henry has had no more problems in school. I can relate to that; I had some issues when I was younger (though when I was in primary school) and eventually I learned how to keep my cool, and not react to provocation. It's very easy to criticise Mr Mitchell, but ultimately I think that Jac-Henry and Georgia both learned something from it and will go on to do better, and that's the important thing.

Incidentally, I really, really liked Brandon. Really nice young man, and good of him to stick up for his friend.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this episode of "Educating Yorkshire" this morning, after recording it at the behest of my sister-in-law, a teaching assistant.
    My heart went out to Jac-Henry, the poor kid was desperately trying not to break down in tears at what appeared
    to be totally unfair punishment for lashing out at that blonde douche bag who bullied him into it.
    Other posts on here allege that she is now pregnant, I don't know if this is true or not, but I would not be surprised if it is.
    She comes off as a foul mouthed little slag, with zero parental guidance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I watched this episode of "Educating Yorkshire" this morning, after recording it at the behest of my sister-in-law, a teaching assistant.
    My heart went out to Jac-Henry, the poor kid was desperately trying not to break down in tears at what appeared
    to be totally unfair punishment for lashing out at that blonde douche bag who bullied him into it.
    Other posts on here allege that she is now pregnant, I don't know if this is true or not, but I would not be surprised if it is.

Wow, she is a 16 year old child!
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »

When you say you wouldn't be surprised if she is pregnant, are you saying that BECAUSE of these undesirable qualities you see in her? There is a suggestion here that only stupid, unpleasant girls become pregnant young, and I don't think that's fair. What's wrong with having a child at a young age?
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say you wouldn't be surprised if she is pregnant, are you saying that BECAUSE of these undesirable qualities you see in her? There is a suggestion here that only stupid, unpleasant girls become pregnant young, and I don't think that's fair. What's wrong with having a child at a young age?

Absolutley nothing wrong with having a child at a young age.......providing you have a stable home in which to raise it, can afford to raise it and the ability to support it through life.

Of course what is wrong is having a child when you are still a child yourself, which she is.

This child stands little chance of making a success of its life if all it has as role models are Georgia and her parents( if they are still together), who lets face it haven't exactly been good examples if what Georgia had to say last night is true.
    I just wonder how many of her friends are pregnant too.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doghouse Riley for Head!!:D:D
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched for the first time last night and all I could see was there was no real line between teacher and pupil. I mean, the teachers and kids spoke to each other like mates do, did anyone else find that? Even Georgia said she wasn't scared of the headteacher. I think headtechers should be scary! Damn, we were scared of our headteacher for sure, in fact we were scared of most of our teachers and we would never ever speak to them how Georgia spoke to her teachers, it was appalling to watch.

Poor Jac-Henry. I found he got a real raw deal from what happened. I really hope the school learn from the mistakes they are making - surely they must be able to see them watching back.

Bad teaching.
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Absolutley nothing wrong with having a child at a young age.......providing you have a stable home in which to raise it, can afford to raise it and the ability to support it through life.

Of course what is wrong is having a child when you are still a child yourself, which she is.

This child stands little chance of making a success of its life if all it has as role models are Georgia and her parents( if they are still together), who lets face it haven't exactly been good examples if what Georgia had to say last night is true.
    I just wonder how many of her friends are pregnant too.

Well to me at least, she seemed to grow up a lot more towards the end. Someone can go from being a child to being an adult within the space of a few months, depending on their circumstances. I think she may be a surprisingly good parent actually.
    Watched for the first time last night and all I could see was there was no real line between teacher and pupil. I mean, the teachers and kids spoke to each other like mates do, did anyone else find that? Even Georgia said she wasn't scared of the headteacher. I think headtechers should be scary! Damn, we were scared of our headteacher for sure, in fact we were scared of most of our teachers and we would never ever speak to them how Georgia spoke to her teachers, it was appalling to watch.

I think that ultimately, it's someone who earns respect for themselves. I would never respect someone who tried to intimidate me. I respect people who will listen to my point of view and talk to me as an equal, and can put their foot down when necessary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well to me at least, she seemed to grow up a lot more towards the end. Someone can go from being a child to being an adult within the space of a few months, depending on their circumstances. I think she may be a surprisingly good parent actually.

Yeah,

Amazing how an unwanted pregnancy can be such a "wake-up call" isn't it?

I think that ultimately, it's someone who earns respect for themselves. I would never respect someone who tried to intimidate me. I respect people who will listen to my point of view and talk to me as an equal, and can put their foot down when necessary.

Hmm..

In a school, there's no equality between teachers and pupils. Kids are there to do what their told.

In the "real world" most employers aren't looking for future employees to be individuals, or to express their point of view, just to get on with a job they are given and take responsibility for it and themselves.

Such a rude awakening for those with a, "they'll have to take me as I am" attitude, as they won't, it's a "buyers' market" in the job seeking world today.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I am a teacher and if I had behaved in any way like that headteacher, I'd leave the profession, ashamed, and feeling a failure. He was so egotistical, and so completely perverse in applying double standards, it beggared belief.

I am an ex-teacher, because I got fed up with the double standards practised by senior management types.
    Plus, having to teach classfuls of 'Georgias'!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    I am an ex-teacher, because I got fed up with the double standards practised by senior management types.
    Plus, having to teach classfuls of 'Georgias'!

It's sad that teachers are no longer "masters of their own destiny." They have to cow-tow to philosophies dreamed up by authorities who have no idea how to teach.
    If you don't have strict discipline (I mean firm but fair), teachers cannot teach and students won't learn.

I mean it ain't "rocket salad" is it?

Don't these people realise that they can't bring those "laissez-faire" attitudes out into the "real world?"

As an employer, I wouldn't entertain any school leaver who wasn't well presented, attentive, able to communicate intelligently and could complete an eight page application form without a lot of spelling mistakes, crossings out and which was completely legible.

Why not?

Because I didn't have to!

Plenty more fish in the sea!