CS: Windasses can't be poor

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
- Anna works 2 jobs
- She'll make at least £300 per week after tax
- She'll get child benefit for fay... £20 a week (So fay can't go hungry)

Am i missing something here? I know people have written about this before on this forum but Fridays episode really boggled my mind. :(

I know Owen is in debt, but surely once a payment plan has been arranged from their wages things will even out.

Comments

• Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many more threads about the Windasses and their money issues?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, i didn't see the other thread. Feel free to delete admins
  • aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Izzy will still be getting disability benefits even when shes working and will be entitled to a car on motability.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Sorry, i didn't see the other thread. Feel free to delete admins
    You're within the time limit, you can delete it yourself if you want. :)
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite visiting a food bank they still seem to have the money to go drinking in the Rovers. That to me is just nonsensical.
  • CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite visiting a food bank they still seem to have the money to go drinking in the Rovers. That to me is just nonsensical.

No! They were only going to get something cheap but Eva gave them something on the house.
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CriticFan wrote: »
    No! They were only going to get something cheap but Eva gave them something on the house.

Anna went to ask steve for more shifts. they weren't going to buy a drink but then eva said they could have it on the house, you could tell by them. looking round awkward they didnt want to buy a drink

edit to the original poster It is still possible to be poor on that money, there is threee adults a child bills and a normal mortgage on the house and then the loan against it for 80k or whatever it was. I imagine the mortgage and loan will more than take all of annas wages
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aspijack wrote: »
    And Izzy will still be getting disability benefits even when shes working and will be entitled to a car on motability.
    Izzy doesnt live with them tho? she has her own place and bills to pay
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can they be poor? The five adults - Owen, Anna, Gary, Izzy and Katie - are all working, Anna also has child allowance for Faye and Izzy also has DLA. There is no reason why that lump of a girl who lives on the settee can't get a paper round to help out as well. Their combined incomes must be in the higher tax rate; so how come Anna was entitled to claim food at the food bank?
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    - Anna works 2 jobs
    - She'll make at least £300 per week after tax
    - She'll get child benefit for fay... £20 a week (So fay can't go hungry)

Am i missing something here? I know people have written about this before on this forum but Fridays episode really boggled my mind. :(

I know Owen is in debt, but surely once a payment plan has been arranged from their wages things will even out.

Anna's jobs are part time, and probably minimum wage
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can they be poor? The five adults - Owen, Anna, Gary, Izzy and Katie - are all working, Anna also has child allowance for Faye and Izzy also has DLA. There is no reason why that lump of a girl who lives on the settee can't get a paper round to help out as well. Their combined incomes must be in the higher tax rate; so how come Anna was entitled to claim food at the food bank?

Izzy and katie have their own rent/bills to pay, why would they give their wages to anna and owen :confused:
    Faye is not old enough for a paper round as per the scene in the Kabin, she's 13 you have to be over 14.
    p.s why does everyone assume that Izzy claims disability benefits I cant recall it mentioned and they seem the proud type not scroungers. nice how u all mention 5 adults but not the fact two dont live there and have children to look after. owen and gary dont currently have jobs either just odd days work
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    Izzy and katie have their own rent/bills to pay, why would they give their wages to anna and owen :confused:
    Faye is not old enough for a paper round as per the scene in the Kabin, she's 13 you have to be over 14.
    p.s why does everyone assume that Izzy claims disability benefits I cant recall it mentioned and they seem the proud type not scroungers. nice how u all mention 5 adults but not the fact two dont live there and have children to look after. owen and gary dont currently have jobs either just odd days work

I wonder why Owen and Gary aren't signing on? If they're drifting from odd job to odd job, they would be fully entitled to claim benefits, even if they are unemployed for just a week.

In fact claiming Jobseekers would be a much better option than just doing a few hours work here and there.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Gary should just go on the game.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    I wonder why Owen and Gary aren't signing on? If they're drifting from odd job to odd job, they would be fully entitled to claim benefits, even if they are unemployed for just a week.

In fact claiming Jobseekers would be a much better option than just doing a few hours work here and there.

cos proud people hate asking for hand outs. not everyone claims benefits som eprefer to take what work they can
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    cos proud people hate asking for hand outs. not everyone claims benefits som eprefer to take what work they can

That would be fine in principle but the family has clearly gone into financial meltdown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be fine in principle but the family has clearly gone into financial meltdown.

and not working isn't going to pay the debt. back. It shows really well through the story how owen see's it as his job to fix it and be the provider for his family. He's very working class and you will find many the same. he didnt want to be made bankrupt he wanted to prove he could earn and pay back.

personally think it will be interesting to see how he now copes
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

& the claiming of benefits has yet to be mentioned on-screen. It does seem odd. You are in financial trouble to the point debt collectors are coming to your home, and your daughter has to go to her father's house to eat food which is actually in date? Seems odd to me, especially since there is help available.

Anna had no issues with going to the food bank (well, she did, but you know what I mean :p), personally, I'd find going to a food bank more embarrassing than claiming benefits, but that's just me...
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap characters, by and large, never claim benefits.

They usually use the "I'm not a charity case!" line when they are on their uppers and in need of help.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Rent a gnome ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    & the claiming of benefits has yet to be mentioned on-screen. It does seem odd. You are in financial trouble to the point debt collectors are coming to your home, and your daughter has to go to her father's house to eat food which is actually in date? Seems odd to me, especially since there is help available.

Anna had no issues with going to the food bank (well, she did, but you know what I mean :p), personally, I'd find going to a food bank more embarrassing than claiming benefits, but that's just me...

Especially as there has been a major recession for the last few years in the UK with millions signing on. It's not as if Owen and Gary have become unemployed in the middle of an economic boom.
  • conmarcas3conmarcas3 Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Anna would get working tax credit and child tax credit, as she has a partner, she wouldn't get a supplement on that. They would earn too much to receive any help with housing, as they own the house, it would only be interest payments anyway.
    In regards to Izzy, assumptions tick me off as people aren't fully aware of how it works. Yes, she would be entitled to a car, but you only get one, either the car or the money, not both. If she gets the car, she loses mobility payments. Mobility payments are about £55 a week. As she is working, she would receive working tax credit with a disability top up, which, the last I heard, was up to about £1300 max a year, which is only about £25 a week. Since it changed to PIP, not sure if working affects the money you get or vice versa.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Rent a gnome ?

Rent a knob.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Gary and Izzy lived in their own flat with the baby? How can they all live in that one house?

I was confused when he told Faye that she could clean his room for him. :confused:
  • speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that would suit him as he seems to have trouble keeping his ginger balls to himself.