Sky Sports 5 - European Football Channel

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    Just noticed on the Sky Sports Listings they have got this :-

Barcelona 15:00 Athletic Bilbao La Liga, Sky Sports 5 HD (15:00)

Surely they cannot show this game at that time due to the UEFA Blackout rules ?!

Spanish games only get properly schedules a week or two before they happen. Until then they are all listed at 3pm on the Saturday (which is 4pm for us anyway). So Sky have probably just put this is a place holder until the real time/date is announced.
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to clear the above question up by all means have a glance at post #343
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74125776&postcount=343

To explain further, over the last 1 or perhaps 2 years Sky have listed a 3pm La Liga kickoff as 3pm until a few days before when they amend it (probably to 5.15pm delayed).

Also, Athletic Bilbao v Levante (30th Aug) is currently listed on their website as 8pm which is erroneous. It is a 6pm kickoff as reflected by the programme start time (5.55pm). "20:00" in this instance is simply a typo.
    http://www1.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky/competitions/la-liga
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just upgraded. I love International Football and can't wait for the Euro Qualifiers
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    I have just upgraded. I love International Football and can't wait for the Euro Qualifiers

Same here, happy days!!!
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Were Sky not due to be showing Feyenoord v Heerenveen next Friday night on SS5? Went ahead and the EPG has Chelsea v Man City in the U21 Premier League instead. Bit disappointing if they're replacing their new Euro league with that in the second week...
  • foxintheboxfoxinthebox Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racket wrote: »
    Were Sky not due to be showing Feyenoord v Heerenveen next Friday night on SS5? Went ahead and the EPG has Chelsea v Man City in the U21 Premier League instead. Bit disappointing if they're replacing their new Euro league with that in the second week...

I've just noticed that aswell! Maybe a red button job?
  • wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racket wrote: »

Very dissapointed as a Feyenoord fan to see the Feyenoord match dissapear in favour of this U21 fixture.

Not quite sure to what extent Chelsea-Man City (u21) can fall under the category "European Football", but then the same could apply to St. Johnstone-Celtic, which I believe is also being shown on Weds...
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its nice to have some other football to watch other than the Premier League which is overrated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    If you already subscribe to Sky Sports and don't want the broadband do you have to activate the channel?
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    If you already subscribe to Sky Sports and don't want the broadband do you have to activate the channel?
    Yes. I did.
  • ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »

No, but if it puts your mind at rest just use the red button.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Yes. I did.

That isnt answering the question. As I already said, there is no way in this world or the next that anyone currently with Sky Sports who hasnt either:

- rang up
    - done it online
    - pressed the red button

...is going to have a blue screen tomorrow where Sky Sports 5 should be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    ep1987 wrote: »
    No, but if it puts your mind at rest just use the red button.
    That isnt answering the question. As I already said, there is no way in this world or the next that anyone currently with Sky Sports who hasnt either:

- rang up
    - done it online
    - pressed the red button

Thanks guys much appreciated , saves me a job this afternoon :)
  • RacketRacket Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    wal28 wrote: »
    Very dissapointed as a Feyenoord fan to see the Feyenoord match dissapear in favour of this U21 fixture.

Not quite sure to what extent Chelsea-Man City (u21) can fall under the category "European Football", but then the same could apply to St. Johnstone-Celtic, which I believe is also being shown on Weds...

I suppose if you look at it as Europe itself rather than continental Europe, it works. Would have been nice if they could have shown it delayed overnight or even one hour highlights, or stuck to showing it live as originally slated (still listed one the website along with the U21 game)

Obviously it's better to watch live, but I miss how ESPN would generally give a decent enough highlights showing of games they had the rights to show live but couldn't because of clashes.
  • wal28wal28 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly the point I have made on other forums regarding BT Sport especially...

On the other hand, it's been a year without any coverage from the Netherlands since the contract wasn't renewed last season when BT took over ESPN...

I noticed there has been no Argentine games on Premier Sport this weekend either live or tape delay and I heard a rumour on DS that the rights might be going elsewhere. Perhaps SS5 might take these up (if they are indeed available) seeing as they appear to be interpreting the concept of European somewhat liberally...Would also like to see the Russian league picked up for coverage.

Beyond that as big a fan as I am of football from around the world there's only so much time one can devote to following the game!
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

- rang up
    - done it online
    - pressed the red button

pressing red did not work for me

Did it online instead

Last 2 months I still got the annoying "press red to activate SS5 button"

Gives SS5 a really bad name before it even starts
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    At the moment, BT Sport seems to have a better European football line up.

Bundesliga
    Ligue 1
    Serie A
    Primeira Liga
    FA Cup
    German Cup
    Coupe de France
    Europa League
    Champions League (from 2015)

While Sky has

La Liga
    Dutch Eredivisie
    Copa Del Rey
    Coppa Italia
    Euro 2016 Qualfiers

Hmmm, tough decision especially seeing as the La Liga deal ends next year. If they loose the rights to that, certainly BT will have won.
  • stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the moment, BT Sport seems to have a better European football line up.

Bundesliga
    Ligue 1
    Serie A
    Primeira Liga
    FA Cup
    German Cup
    Coupe de France
    Europa League
    Champions League (from 2015)

While Sky has

La Liga
    Dutch Eredivisie
    Copa Del Rey
    Coppa Italia
    Euro 2016 Qualfiers

Hmmm, tough decision especially seeing as the La Liga deal ends next year. If they loose the rights to that, certainly BT will have won.

Why have you included the FA Cup? Why have you included Champions League (from 2015) and ignored the fact the Sky currently hold the rights.

I agree with what you are saying, but at least be accurate.
    Forum Member
    stato77 wrote: »
    Why have you included the FA Cup? Why have you included Champions League (from 2015) and ignored the fact the Sky currently hold the rights.

I guess you're right about the Champions League, I should have included that Sky have Champions League until 2015. However I don't understand what you mean about why have I included the FA Cup? Last time I checked BT have the rights to the FA Cup.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right about the Champions League, I will edit it. And I don't understand what you mean about why have I included the FA Cup? Last time I checked BT have the rights to the FA Cup.

It's not "European Football" as such.
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stato77 wrote: »

This and similar questions seem to come up a lot here lately. I guess it depends on whether you consider the UK leagues and cups as "European" competitions. In the literal sense, they are as they're obviously based in Europe. Most people's definition is that they aren't included in the "European" leagues as they're generally referred to, although suggesting they are isn't wrong.
  • chrisgwfcchrisgwfc Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I guess you're right about the Champions League, I should have included that Sky have Champions League until 2015. However I don't understand what you mean about why have I included the FA Cup? Last time I checked BT have the rights to the FA Cup.

You described the list of rights as European football. The FA Cup is domestic football!
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BT have the rights to the FA Cup but it is not european
    Forum Member
    BT have the rights to the FA Cup but it is not european

Ok, if you don't consider the FA cup European, that's ok, take it off the list. But in my opinion it still doesn't change the fact the BT Sport, for now anyway, seems better. The only thing stopping me from switching is the fact that Sky has more premier leagues (for now) and BT will only show Champions League from 2015.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    Ok, if you don't consider the FA cup European, that's ok, take it off the list. But in my opinion it still doesn't change the fact the BT Sport, for now anyway, seems better. The only thing stopping me from switching is the fact that Sky has more premier leagues (for now) and BT will only show Champions League from 2015.

Then surely for now Sky Sports is better?

Under your definition BT will only become better next season when it takes over the Champions League coverage.