Rupert Murdoch YouGov poll in the Times gives Yes a 1 point lead over No

Comments

• BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,578
    Forum Member
    Why?

The right of any prime minister is to keep his country safe. If he has doubts about an independent Scotland's security then protecting his own countrymen is a priority.

Or perhaps you would like to see someone from Iraq fly into Glasgow, cross over an unprotected border and bomb 200 people on the street of Liverpool?

If Cameron was that worried then he should have been up here stating his case for the union instead of leaving it to the dreadful Darling
    BTW why would your man fly to Glasgow first? Liverpool has a mighty fine airport
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?

The right of any prime minister is to keep his country safe. If he has doubts about an independent Scotland's security then protecting his own countrymen is a priority.

Or perhaps you would like to see someone from Iraq fly into Glasgow, cross over an unprotected border and bomb 200 people on the street of Liverpool?
    A British Prime Minister stopping and checking British citizens with British passports from crossing into the seat of the commonwealth (which Scotland would be apart of) .... Not to mention the fact that no border controls are in place with Ireland (a fully independent/non commonwealth country) ...

The NO side are losing the plot and are in danger of imploding with such stupid talk ... The YES side could make hay with such headlines.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We may well see an independent Scotland folks. From my experience of Irish referendums over the years (and we've had dozens of them because of the way our Constitution is laid out) it's usually the side with late momentum that wins.
  • dirty dingusdirty dingus Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus Christ. Let Scotland decide. According to the tories on here it's a warped poll, spend a few days up here and you will see the true picture. The Yes movement is everywhere. Westminster is broke and we have the black gold that used to bail you out. No more lies about being subsidy junkiies. Scotland does not support your empire rubbish...deal with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Momentum could now be massive, if YES are ahead undecided voters could start backing the perceived winner... Happens an awful lot in elections.

Indeed. It happened in both the Treaty of Nice and Treaty of Lisbon referendums in Ireland when most people assumed for months in advance that a vote in favour was perfectly safe and secure (ditto with the vote on the abolition of the Irish Senate last year)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    We may well see an independent Scotland folks. From my experience of Irish referendums over the years (and we've had dozens of them because of the way our Constitution is laid out) it's usually the side with late momentum that wins.
    That's exactly what I was saying Eurostar ... We in Ireland must be nearly referendum experts (talk of 3-4 Irish referendums next year) ... At this stage if this was the case in Ireland I would be expecting the YES side to pull away and win easily.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very debatable about undecided voters on the day - voters subconsciously back winners.. If YES gain more momentum I think it will be unbelievably close.

But would that be the case in something so significant? I can see that point ringing true in a standard election but I'd have thought that if you were in favour of a change like this which will change the landscape of this country you'd be pretty certain that you were going to vote for it by now.

Not that there aren't people who will go for Yes at the last minute, but I'd expect those who genuinely don't know either way to get itchy feet on the day and decide to stick with things as they are.
  • Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting times ahead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    But would that be the case in something so significant? I can see that point ringing true in a standard election but I'd have thought that if you were in favour of a change like this which will change the landscape of this country you'd be pretty certain that you were going to vote for it by now.

Not that there aren't people who will go for Yes at the last minute, but I'd expect those who genuinely don't know either way to get itchy feet on the day and decide to stick with things as they are.
    I'm just going on what usually happens here in Ireland - it could be totally different in Scotland of course. Subconsciously I think people don't like voting against whatever loses the vote, I think it's momentum what actually wins referendums because of this happening with those undecided.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,578
    Forum Member
    Seems like the good people of Paddy Power sense a change of direction in the referendum Last Saturday they were offering odds of 5/1 for a Yes vote Those odds are now in to 7/4
    Bookies are hard nosed businessmen and if they cut the odds so dramatically then it is worth taking note of
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Yes Scotland SNP Panelbase poll just released:

Yes: 44%
    No: 48%
    Undecided: 8%

Excluding undecideds
    Yes: 48%
    No: 52%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Oh dear.
  • wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »

Scottish independence, well, we have to wait and see what happens.

I suspect that those wanting change, that is the people who will vote "Yes" for independence, are more motivated to vote, than the people who will vote "No"

A "Yes" vote will change almost everything.
    A "No" vote with a close "Yes" vote will change some things.
    A "No" vote with a distant "Yes" vote will change nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »

http://radicalindependence.org/2014/08/19/radical-independence-campaign-18k-canvass-sample-released/

18,000 canvassed, as I said in an earlier post, these people have went to the places normal polls don't go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Radical independence campaign", yeah, I'm sure they're neutral...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    "Radical independence campaign", yeah, I'm sure they're neutral...

And you believe the original polls from govt sources saying 20% lead were?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    What would happen if the yes vote was 49.99%?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get ready for years of court cases and continual arguments with each side blaming each other for anything that goes wrong in the countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    What would happen if the yes vote was 49.99%?

The losing side would demand a recount of course but if whatever side won by 100 or 1000 votes in both counts, it would be declared a valid result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's exactly what I was saying Eurostar ... We in Ireland must be nearly referendum experts (talk of 3-4 Irish referendums next year) ... At this stage if this was the case in Ireland I would be expecting the YES side to pull away and win easily.

It must be deeply alarming for the No side to see their vote collapse in the polls in recent weeks irishfeen. If I was in their camp, I would be terrified at the moment.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And what's to stop that happening now? What will be different?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what's to stop that happening now? What will be different?

He'll get caught at the border as he will be wearing a see you jimmy wig. Counter terrorism part 4.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How the hell could anyone believe this border control nonsense?? - I'm living in an independent country outside the UK and I can drive or walk freely into the UK and travel to England, Wales and Scotland with just a driving licence.

Scotland, the UK and Ireland will sign a new free travel agreement outside Schengen - it's as simple as that.