Options

Inappropriate use of the term "gentleman"

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you ever notice this? It happens quite often on things like newspaper reviews when a man comits some heinous crime. He is referred to as "this gentleman..." when you'd think the term "man" would be more than adequate.

Something like "ball bag" even better. But definitely NOT "gentleman".

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Anyone?

this guy definitely isnt a gentleman, he isn't chivalrous, courteous, or honourable ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASO_zypdnsQ

it can mean a man or a man who is nice, caring etc

gentleman
    ˈdʒɛnt(ə)lmən/Submit
    noun
    a chivalrous, courteous, or honourable man.
    "he behaved throughout like a perfect gentleman"
    a man of noble birth attached to a royal household.
    "a Gentleman of the Bedchamber"
    a polite or formal way of referring to a man.
    "opposite her an old gentleman sat reading"
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you ever notice this? It happens quite often on things like newspaper reviews when a man comits some heinous crime. He is referred to as "this gentleman..." when you'd think the term "man" would be more than adequate.

I've not noticed this personally. They usually drop the Mr. and refer to a criminal by his surname don't they ? I use the term ' gentleman ' at my work, and ' lady ' as well because it's much more polite. For example - ' There's a gentleman/ lady waiting to see you ' sounds better than ' there's a man/ woman waiting to see you '. Especially if people are listening to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not noticed this personally. They usually drop the Mr. and refer to a criminal by his surname don't they ? I use the term ' gentleman ' at my work, and ' lady ' as well because it's much more polite. For example - ' There's a gentleman/ lady waiting to see you ' sounds better than ' there's a man/ woman waiting to see you '. Especially if people are listening to you.

It's a mark of extra respect - particularly when referring to the elderly.

But not when talkng about a murderer, rapist or paedophile, say.

"Man" is then quite adequate.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Never noticed it.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dispute that it does happen 'quite often'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I get irritated on dating sites when men over 25 call themselves 'boy'. The further away from 25 they are, the more yuk it becomes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    I get irritated on dating sites when men over 25 call themselves 'boy'. The further away from 25 they are, the more yuk it becomes!

I've always wondered, when do you stop calling a woman a 'girl' like what age do you say "She's a really good looking woman" instead of girl? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    I've always wondered, when do you stop calling a woman a 'girl' like what age do you say "She's a really good looking woman" instead of girl? :D

I suppose it's a subjective thing, but it should definitely stop by the time someone is 45! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

Oh it does. The last time I observed this was the other night on Question Time. Stella Creasy the Labour MP and Samantha Brick look-a like referred to that foreigner wanted by the police over the missing school girl (the one who has served time for killing another woman) as that "gentleman".

No one see it, eh?
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it used to be around 25 but nowadays it's probably nearer to 65 :D
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always take it as a form of passive aggressive sarcasm.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

when they are no longer a teenager.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wait a minute. Aren't you that bloke who thought professional broadcasters saying , "he's X years of old" was a thing? Apologies if not, but if you are, you really are odd!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait a minute. Aren't you that bloke who thought professional broadcasters saying , "he's X years of old" was a thing? Apologies if not, but if you are, you really are odd!!

What's "odd" about being observant?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only occasions I've noticed the use the description gentleman is when the accused is just that, accused, not found guilty of anything yet.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's "odd" about being observant?

Oh, it IS you. Thought so :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My man refers to me as a girl and I'm nearly 38! Long may it continue! :D
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this guy definitely isnt a gentleman, he isn't chivalrous, courteous, or honourable ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASO_zypdnsQ

it can mean a man or a man who is nice, caring etc

gentleman
    ˈdʒɛnt(ə)lmən/Submit
    noun
    a chivalrous, courteous, or honourable man.
    "he behaved throughout like a perfect gentleman"
    a man of noble birth attached to a royal household.
    "a Gentleman of the Bedchamber"
    a polite or formal way of referring to a man.
    "opposite her an old gentleman sat reading"

Chivalrous, stabbing someone to death because a dictator told you to. Honorable, killing your daughter for being a relationship with someone of the wrong religion (or possibly being in any relationship at all, that wasn't the one you sold her off to), or killing anyone who left the religion.

Nobility and royality is all about coming out of the right vagina, or marrying someone who did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, it IS you. Thought so :D

Never mind that young man! Answer the bloody question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicky Campbell has just referred to a woman who was found to be a hateful, sadistic troll as a "lady".

"Woman" would have been more appropriate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicky Campbell has just referred to a woman who was found to be a hateful, sadistic troll as a "lady".

"Woman" would have been more appropriate.

Minutes later a caller referred to her as a lady. When Gobber O'Brien on LBC covered it three callers referred to her as a "lady". One of them twice.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Pub Landlord uses it a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

Once again - Someone on Question Time just described a killer of females as "that gentleman".
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let it go.