Options

The Missing

Comments

• Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Monique is a red herring I'm sure. A chance meeting in Paris. Thrown in to confuse.

Why would Alain's supposed daughter(his wife has never mentioned her) seek out Tony possibly follow him across the country and seduce him? Doesn't feel it sits in the plot other than as a complete red herring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I'm still holding out hope that Ollys alive and well somewhere. TV doesn't usually like killing kids.
  • Options
    MrTheDMrTheD Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Possibly letting my imagination run riot, but on second viewing it looked that when the bent cop handed over the evidence there seemed to be a round indentation on the envelope......medal shaped? But, as other posters have pointed out, would the dodgy reporter really appreciate the significance of an alcoholic's medal? I'm not sure, it's hardly a smoking gun is it?

I agree, he wouldn't be aware of the significance in the slightest. But this probably explains why the evidence is still 'unknown' to Baptiste. if it was a 'smoking gun' or critical evidence then either he would have informed the police, or more likely he would have revealed it in the newspaper or in his book. The fact he hasn't suggests he doesn't know the significance.

I would imagine the next step is for Tony and Baptiste to go and see the policeman in prison, then find out he passed the evidence to Malik, and only when Tony sees the evidence will he understand why it is relevant.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Monique is a red herring I'm sure. A chance meeting in Paris. Thrown in to confuse.

Why would Alain's supposed daughter(his wife has never mentioned her) seek out Tony possibly follow him across the country and seduce him? Doesn't feel it sits in the plot other than as a complete red herring.
    Yes have to agree, If Tony was sat down and she suddenly approached him then it could be a set up. maybe the Rumanian gang also based in Paris but didn't happen like that, she was sat painting in a square before he randomly walked past and sat down near to her, no way could that be set up.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjm1000 wrote: »
    I'm still holding out hope that Ollys alive and well somewhere. TV doesn't usually like killing kids.

Alive after 8 years with paedophiles?
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Alive after 8 years with paedophiles?

The paedophiles thing could be a red herring. He could be being looked after well by a new family who have no idea he was abducted. Although he would surely talk about his old family.
  • Options
    dachsedachse Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjm1000 wrote: »

Yes I too hope Ollie is alive however as I said in my post #1537 it still won't be a happy ending. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »

There appears to be very few or any red herrings in this. The script is very tight. What seemed as ad hoc at the time come back as relevant in later episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree re: Monique, nothing has been a red herring up to now, and really don't believe it was all as simple as a one night stand (afternoon stand?) with no further involvement.

God knows what it will be though, thats the beauty of this programme I guess

I am coming round to the way of thinking that Malik is a victim in all this, avenging his brother on behalf of his dad and using Ollies case as a means to an end. This would explain and in some way justify his rudeness, directness and almost callous nature from minute 1, also would explain why he was so quickly on the offensive to find out more when it could have been a straightforward abduction.

Finally Mark - 6 episodes in and we've seen hints that hes not a nice guy until Tuesdays episode when he was the hero on multiple occasions. Is he just mis direction of will his character take centre stage? Could he have been in the town to sell his own son maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrTheD wrote: »
    I agree re: Monique, nothing has been a red herring up to now, and really don't believe it was all as simple as a one night stand (afternoon stand?) with no further involvement.

I am coming round to the way of thinking that Malik is a victim in all this, avenging his brother on behalf of his dad and using Ollies case as a means to an end. This would explain and in some way justify his rudeness, directness and almost callous nature from minute 1, also would explain why he was so quickly on the offensive to find out more when it could have been a straightforward abduction.

Finally Mark - 6 episodes in and we've seen hints that hes not a nice guy until Tuesdays episode when he was the hero on multiple occasions. Is he just mis direction of will his character take centre stage? Could he have been in the town to sell his own son maybe?

Quite a few folks said early on we are being told to dislike Malik. A nasty journalist. As you say this could be mis direction. Likewise Mark has not been written too badly and reached hero status last week. I know folks on here have been suspicious but more based on gut/previous drama than actual content. The fact that Mark worked for Interpol says that he was closer to the goings on ie drugs trafficking etc He is not your normal liaison officer.

Just had a thought. Mark said he had resigned from Police. Has he found out stuff about Ollie disappearance that was not released as it was part of a much bigger investigation. ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Quite a few folks said early on we are being told to dislike Malik...

I don't find Malik to be particularly nasty, just a journalist obsessed with a story. Although he's working for a national paper now, I do find it curious that he was working on a local paper at the time of Olly's disappearance.

He had prior knowledge of something going on through his father's work, so I wonder if he cracked the Moroccan link (and part of the Hughes story) which in turn led to good job offers coming in.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elle_Bee wrote: »
    I don't find Malik to be particularly nasty, just a journalist obsessed with a story. Although he's working for a national paper now, I do find it curious that he was working on a local paper at the time of Olly's disappearance.

He had prior knowledge of something going on through his father's work, so I wonder if he cracked the Moroccan link (and part of the Hughes story) which in turn led to good job offers coming in.

He was seen queuing up for a job at the Telegraph, chatting to Mark in one of the episodes. His methods of getting information are vile. It's because of him that Baptiste is limping now.

Mark in the meantime lost or gave up his job but can't remember why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elle_Bee wrote: »

I used the word nasty in terms of the stereotype we have had pushed on us by the campaigns in UK of late. Some of it has been extreme. This will be play to stereotype but he will be the good guy uncovering evidence. Using underhand tactics maybe. Even dodgy but end justifies the means.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This would certainly tie a few loose ends together. Monique would be the mystery niece that the mayor George Deloix has been talking about (i.e. his brother Alain's daughter).

Do you remember which episode that was in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    The paedophiles thing could be a red herring. He could be being looked after well by a new family who have no idea he was abducted. Although he would surely talk about his old family.

Sadly like folks who hang onto Maddie living in utopia somewhere in the world it is highly unlikely. In fact I will be disappointed if the writers cop out in this story with an unrealistic ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite a few folks said early on we are being told to dislike Malik. A nasty journalist. As you say this could be mis direction. Likewise Mark has not been written too badly and reached hero status last week. I know folks on here have been suspicious but more based on gut/previous drama than actual content. The fact that Mark worked for Interpol says that he was closer to the goings on ie drugs trafficking etc He is not your normal liaison officer.

Just had a thought. Mark said he had resigned from Police. Has he found out stuff about Ollie disappearance that was not released as it was part of a much bigger investigation. ?

I may be wrong and have to re-visit this, but, I was under the impression that Mark didn't actually work for Interpol? I thought that was just a lie created by Julien when interogating Bourg in order to scare him into telling the truth?

If I recall correctly, Julien said to Mark he needed a favour then Mark joined the interview under the ruse of being from the Interpol online investigation unit (or something along those lines), can you anyone back this up or refute this?
  • Options
    Squ1rrel5Squ1rrel5 Posts: 110
    Forum Member

I am coming round to the way of thinking that Malik is a victim in all this, avenging his brother on behalf of his dad and using Ollies case as a means to an end. This would explain and in some way justify his rudeness, directness and almost callous nature from minute 1, also would explain why he was so quickly on the offensive to find out more when it could have been a straightforward abduction?

Do we know for definite that Malik had a brother - I cant remember this being referenced in the show, just something about an unsolved murder.
    And I still don't understand how he knows that ziane is connected either. Its this bit of the story that's really confusing me...
  • Options
    Squ1rrel5Squ1rrel5 Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong and have to re-visit this, but, I was under the impression that Mark didn't actually work for Interpol? I thought that was just a lie created by Julien when interogating Bourg in order to scare him into telling the truth?

If I recall correctly, Julien said to Mark he needed a favour then Mark joined the interview under the ruse of being from the Interpol online investigation unit (or something along those lines), can you anyone back this up or refute this?

That's right, Mark doesn't work for Interpol ) he was pretending to be a computer expert to put the frighteners in Bourg
  • Options
    Kat 68Kat 68 Posts: 426
    Forum Member

Finally Mark - 6 episodes in and we've seen hints that hes not a nice guy until Tuesdays episode when he was the hero on mult iple occasions. Is he just mis direction of will his character take centre stage? Could he have been in the town to sell his own son maybe?

Why on earth would anyone sell their own son?!!!:confused:
  • Options
    Kat 68Kat 68 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    This would certainly tie a few loose ends together. Monique would be the mystery niece that the mayor George Deloix has been talking about (i.e. his brother Alain's daughter).

Is his niece the daughter of Sylvie and Alain? He mentioned early on in the series(episode 1 or 2) that he used to go for a drink with her after work but she had to find work elsewhere as the town became a ghost town after Ollies abduction. Could she have had something to do with the abduction or knowledge of it and that's what really lead her to leave town?

I don't believe the paedophile ring is anything to do with Ollies disappearance.

Ollies drawing of daddy big ears was left in the car in the garage unattended for a few days. Enough time for someone to copy it onto the wall in the cellar. Why did Karl not clean it off the wall, why did he assume it was drawn by Ollie? Was he told not to clean it off? Someone setting up a false lead maybe. Though admittedly as it took 8 years to discover this is unlikely.

Sorry for rambling on. Probably nothing I've said is of any relevance, just more food for thought.

Roll on Tuesday:)
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    This is a supposition of what might have happened to Madeleine McCann.
    Some folks will grasp at straws in denial of the worst scenario if they think a missing child is findable ?
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat 68 wrote: »
    Ollies drawing of daddy big ears was left in the car in the garage unattended for a few days. Enough time for someone to copy it onto the wall in the cellar. Why did Karl not clean it off the wall, why did he assume it was drawn by Ollie? Was he told not to clean it off? Someone setting up a false lead maybe. Though admittedly as it took 8 years to discover this is unlikely.

It did seem odd that he said he decided to leave it, as getting rid of all traces "would not be right". As you say, how would he have known it was a drawing done (possibly) by Ollie

Also, how come the genuine householders never uncovered it in 8 years? As well as this, when Seig was cleaning, how did he know what to clean and leave behind and what to remove? Essentially the cellar is a garage, and I am sure that if someone came into my garage, sprayed blood everywhere and then cleaned it, I'd know what had been move and removed afterwards, and also possibly smell cleaning agents!
  • Options
    KerryisElphieKerryisElphie Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Maybe the scarf and then picture were all planted by Sylvie in 2014 as an attempt to get Tony back into town...They tipped Sieg off about the picture so he dropped it into conversation hoping to elicit some good feeling?! But it is all some massive goose chase
  • Options
    KerryisElphieKerryisElphie Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I also reckon the scarf sighting etc was orchestrated to get Tony back in Chalons for when the embargo was lifted...
  • Options
    BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Can someone answer a couple of queries please ?
    1 Was Tony's job ever revealed ?
    2 How has he been supporting himself for the last 8 years as he appears to have made his search for Ollie his whole raison d'etre ? He obviously has no savings as he had to ask Emily for the 15000 euros.
    Probably not relevant to the story but I'm just curious.
    Also Mark at one time said to Emily "remember what happened in 2009) Has this been clarified ?
    Thank you and thanks for your company on this thread. It's almost been as good as the programme :)