Options

Bbc Dab In Ipswich

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,608
Forum Member
✭✭✭
anyone know when the warren heath TX will be equipped with BBC dab?

Comments

• Options
    Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satman17 wrote: »
    anyone know when the warren heath TX will be equipped with BBC dab?

This could be the transmitter that is going to transmit the Suffolk multiplex which has not yet been decided just like Cumbria although they recon that one could be 2019 until it goes on air. As for Suffolk one I have no idea but I have seen where it's going to be on a different block to all the others 5A. I saw that bit of information on the Suffolk multiplex on the DAB ensembles worldwide website.
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could be the transmitter that is going to transmit the Suffolk multiplex which has not yet been decided just like Cumbria although they recon that one could be 2019 until it goes on air. As for Suffolk one I have no idea but I have seen where it's going to be on a different block to all the others 5A. I saw that bit of information on the Suffolk multiplex on the DAB ensembles worldwide website.
    According to the most up-to-date information, in Appendix 3 of the Digital Two advertisement document, Suffolk will now be using 10C rather than 5A. However since the licences for Suffolk and Cumbria are still yet to be advertised, it's anybody's guess as to when they'll actually go on air.
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC NATIONAL DAB Phase 4 Rollout includes Ipswich, Manningtree, Beccles etc.,..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitalradio/expansion

You could ask BBC Reception Advice (but they may not have a precise timetable to divulge) ... all sorts of factors can cause the schedule to change.

Check out the transmitter site's Local Council Planning applications (although they may not always be needed) for a few extra antennas and kit in existing accommodation. If you find there is an application in it will signify progress.

The BBC install can usually go ahead without any other muxes' kit on a site (although Arqiva will want to do them together where possible to minimise costs and acceptance test duplication / disruption to 'existing' services).
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2015 now, and still no news of local DAB muxes for Suffolk or Cumbria. I find it especially frustrating trying to listen to football on BBC Radio Suffolk because the FM signal is awful and online listening is not an option because of rights restrictions. Come on Ofcom wake up and get these muxes advertised or keep us informed of why there is such a long delay.

The only encouraging sign is that the BBC is starting to put local stations on Freeview, but here in the East Suffolk must be the priority for this, all other stations in the region are on DAB.
  • Options
    underground_88underground_88 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    2015 now, and still no news of local DAB muxes for Suffolk or Cumbria. I find it especially frustrating trying to listen to football on BBC Radio Suffolk because the FM signal is awful and online listening is not an option because of rights restrictions. Come on Ofcom wake up and get these muxes advertised or keep us informed of why there is such a long delay.

The only encouraging sign is that the BBC is starting to put local stations on Freeview, but here in the East Suffolk must be the priority for this, all other stations in the region are on DAB.

You seriously think that the BBC Suffolk FM signal is awful?? Do you have an aerial? Maybe try another radio. Manningtree puts a massive signal out and as your asking about Warren Heath I assume you are in Ipswich itself so should have no problem with 103.9. If you do I wouldn't go expecting miracles when DAB burbles it's mono way in to your life!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seriously think that the BBC Suffolk FM signal is awful?? Do you have an aerial? Maybe try another radio. Manningtree puts a massive signal out and as your asking about Warren Heath I assume you are in Ipswich itself so should have no problem with 103.9. If you do I wouldn't go expecting miracles when DAB burbles it's mono way in to your life!

I'm in Sudbury actually. FM reception is fine in my car but awful in the house, I have no idea why. DAB reception of the national and Essex muxes is rock solid. Why are the same radios picking up DAB fine but FM is mostly hiss? We don't have an outside aerial but DAB works fine without it, why shouldn't FM?

BBC Suffolk won't be in mono, 128k stereo isn't fantastic but it's better than the FM I'm getting indoors now.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Sudbury actually. FM reception is fine in my car but awful in the house, I have no idea why. DAB reception of the national and Essex muxes is rock solid.

I do, all three DAB muxes you mention are transmitted from the Sudbury transmiiter.
    Sudbury carries no FM services
  • Options
    underground_88underground_88 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I'm in Sudbury actually. FM reception is fine in my car but awful in the house, I have no idea why. DAB reception of the national and Essex muxes is rock solid. Why are the same radios picking up DAB fine but FM is mostly hiss? We don't have an outside aerial but DAB works fine without it, why shouldn't FM?

BBC Suffolk won't be in mono, 128k stereo isn't fantastic but it's better than the FM I'm getting indoors now.

BBC and the Essex MUX are transmitted from the Sudbury TV transmitter (presumably Ofcom thought Sudbury was in Essex)

BBC FM will be from Manningtree so further away

Sudbury has never been great for FM as it's in a dip with no local transmitters.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC and the Essex MUX are transmitted from the Sudbury TV transmitter (presumably Ofcom thought Sudbury was in Essex)

Isn't the official name for the mux 'Southend and Chelmsford' and not 'Essex'? Anyway, the town of Sudbury is deemed to be within the mux's official service area, and the transmitter called Sudbury is ideal for covering that part of NE Essex.

http://www.localdigitalradio.co.uk/SouthendTX.png
    BBC FM will be from Manningtree so further away

And is in Essex, but carries Radio Suffolk, ;-)
  • Options
    VectorsumVectorsum Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I find it especially frustrating trying to listen to football on BBC Radio Suffolk because the FM signal is awful and online listening is not an option because of rights restrictions...
    Having travelled in those parts, FM from Manningtree is indeed pretty mince in and around Sudbury. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, have you tried switching from stereo to mono FM reception to reduce hiss when the footy is on? If your radio is old-style analogue then it'll make a big difference, if it's fully digital then stereo-mono switching probably won't make any difference as it only affects the final audio presentation, not the baseband bandwidth.
    Mark C wrote: »
    Isn't the official name for the mux 'Southend and Chelmsford' and not 'Essex'? Anyway, the town of Sudbury is deemed to be within the mux's official service area, and the transmitter called Sudbury is ideal for covering that part of NE Essex...
    In the 2011 consultation, the editorial area was changed and now excludes Sudbury, running pretty much along the Essex-Suffolk border to the NNW of the S&C area. There were also some minor realignments elsewhere, e.g. Buckhurst Hill and Hainault are now just inside the westward limits of S&C. Strangely, that Arqiva plot shows a date of January 2014, but with the obsolete mux boundaries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Isn't the official name for the mux 'Southend and Chelmsford' and not 'Essex'? Anyway, the town of Sudbury is deemed to be within the mux's official service area, and the transmitter called Sudbury is ideal for covering that part of NE Essex.

http://www.localdigitalradio.co.uk/SouthendTX.png

And is in Essex, but carries Radio Suffolk, ;-)

Well I called it the Essex mux because it mostly covers Essex, and also of course part of south Suffolk. And it carries BBC Essex and what used to be Essex Radio but is now probably Heart or something.

Sudbury does actually have quite a lot of ties with Essex, being very close to the border and with Sudbury Philatelic Society and I'm sure other organisations being tied to Essex and not Suffolk. But I don't listen to BBC Essex or any other Essex based station because I still consider myself very much born and bred in Suffolk, that why I'm so keen for my local BBC station to finally make it onto DAB. And besides, just about every other local mux has now launched so why is Suffolk being left behind?

We do get good reception of BBC Suffolk upstairs, but downstairs it is hopeless.