all in one printer prices.

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not that I am in the market for one as I only just recently got myself a a canon IP7250 and my old HP stand alone scanner is still better than any scanner on the lower cost and even some higher cost printers.
But it is the loer cost all in one I was looking at in Rymans, just for a nose realyl as I was in there for something else.

i saw a canon all in one for £30, ok it is not wi-fi, but how on earth can a all in one be produced and sold for that price, something must be missingm, my canon stand alone printer, cost me over £40, sure it have wi-fi and and seprate inks.

i know that they hope to make the money on the ink as a pack of in for this printer is as much as the printer, may as well chuck the printer away after you used the ink and buy a new one.

There was even a Hp one in there for £90, that had a auto paper feed on the scanner and fax and this is fromRymans, whihc is not the chepest place. I know once again coulour inks are all in one and no doubt there must be somethintg lost in print and scan quality, but still for £90.

amazing how cheap these printers are

the Hp one would be nice as a second printer downstairs, i think, not that I am going to get one.

Comments

• etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    I think most, if not all, cheap inkjet printers are sold below cost price as they hope to get the money back on expensive ink cartridges, but even so I'd beware of very cheap all in one devices. I have never seen one where the build quality was any good. I realise that you can't expect great quality for those prices but no manufacturer of anything should sell products that are basically useless at any price. The ones I have dealt with have been so poor as to have not even been worth the low price they were sold for and, based on any rational valuation, to have a negative value due to all the hassle and the disposal costs when you give up and junk the thing. Multifunction devices are particularly bad as there are so many things that can go wrong with them,

Of course, there may be exceptions. If you see a device for sale at a good price and it has a few reviews saying something like "I bought one of these a year ago. I use it daily and it still works OK." then I'd be reassured enough to give it a go but, generally, my experience of cheap printers has been like this:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers
  • malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think most cheap printers are down to expensive inks. Especially Epson whose ink replacements cost twice that of competitors.

I have what I call a proper all in one printer that includes negative and transparency scanning. 6 ink set from Epson costs £80. Although this printer still works (no wifi though) I have now replaced it minus film scanning with HP all in one ink costs £30 a set compared to epsons £80 a set.

Yep its the terrible price of a few fluid oz of coloured liquid that makes complex pieces of technology cheap to buy.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always remember toys-r-us had a cheapo printer for 25 quid but it came with a full set of carts that would work in my HP printer, so it was cheaper to buy a new printer and bin it while using the carts than the about 70 quid hp wanted
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcom wrote: »
    I also think most cheap printers are down to expensive inks. Especially Epson whose ink replacements cost twice that of competitors.

I have what I call a proper all in one printer that includes negative and transparency scanning. 6 ink set from Epson costs £80. Although this printer still works (no wifi though) I have now replaced it minus film scanning with HP all in one ink costs £30 a set compared to epsons £80 a set.

Yep its the terrible price of a few fluid oz of coloured liquid that makes complex pieces of technology cheap to buy.

:o Yep, dead expensive those epson inks arent they.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/printers-scanners/ink-cartridges :o
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epson carts are cheap as chips. Search on ebay and amazon.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »

Except they are compatibles not actual Epson inks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Except they are compatibles not actual Epson inks

Except for price, there's no difference.
    Somebody like
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/printers-scanners/ink-cartridges
    Aren't going to sell them if they are rubbish.

Lets face it, you're only sticking them in a £30 home printer so you're not looking for print shop quality even with original epson in.
  • tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Compats are rubbish compared to original.and I used to work in a cartridge shop selling them.if you print an a4 pic off with the carts u will see.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tosha43 wrote: »
    Compats are rubbish compared to original.and I used to work in a cartridge shop selling them.if you print an a4 pic off with the carts u will see.

I use compatible ink and have super results printing A4 photo's. To be honest I only print photo's of the grand children to send to my mother in law but I got 30 cartridges for about £11 delivered (Epsom)

Do people use printers much these days? Digital camera's = digital pictures you can view on your phone/tablet/laptop/PC/TV. We used to scan and print a lot of photo's pre the emergence of digital camera's but these days its sometimes weeks before I need a 'hard copy' of anything.
    Forum Member

There will be a difference. It's part of the reason they are so much cheaper.

More expensive inks are usually a lot more fade resistant as well.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    My present printer is an HP deskjet F4180 which I bought in a sale in PCW about 5 years ago for £40. It has started to have a paper feed issue (trying to drag in more than 1 sheet at a time) ( worn cogs ?) which we can overcome by manually feeding it one page at a time. It has always been a noisy printer but apart from mentioned it has lasted well.

I've always used original cartridges, bought a black cartidge a couple of weeks ago in Argos for
    £13.99 after returning the same item to W H Smith that my wife had bought for £28.99.
    My last printer was an Epson and I used compatibles but what I found was the nozzles drying up quickly after a week or two. This doesn't happen on the HP, it can be left for a month and works perfectly.

Whether its the printer or the ink I'm not sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap compatibles are not worth the risk of having poor image retention in the long term.

One thing I will say about Epson is their colour durability. Pictures on wall for years and not a hint of fading or colour change. I would never trust important prints to cheap imitation inks...

If something is overly cheap then there is a reason. A penalty lies somewhere down the line.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I use compatible ink and have super results printing A4 photo's. To be honest I only print photo's of the grand children to send to my mother in law but I got 30 cartridges for about £11 delivered (Epsom)

Do people use printers much these days? Digital camera's = digital pictures you can view on your phone/tablet/laptop/PC/TV. We used to scan and print a lot of photo's pre the emergence of digital camera's but these days its sometimes weeks before I need a 'hard copy' of anything.

I use mine a fair bit, which is why I had to get another one. I could not be without my printer.

CD/DVD labels, printing letters, doing copies of forms, by scanning them and then printing them. Now printing pictures, which I never really bothered with before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap compatibles are not worth the risk of having poor image retention in the long term.

One thing I will say about Epson is their colour durability. Pictures on wall for years and not a hint of fading or colour change. I would never trust important prints to cheap imitation inks...

If something is overly cheap then there is a reason. A penalty lies somewhere down the line.

I use compatibles and have have very few problems, in fact I only had a problem with one yellow ink where it would not work. I have originals at the moment as they came witht he printer, but I have also got some compatibles ready to go in.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody like
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/printers-scanners/ink-cartridges

Lets face it, you're only sticking them in a £30 home printer so you're not looking for print shop quality even with original epson in.

Well epson aren't going to make any money if its a competitor are they :confused:

If you actually choose epson on that very link you posted the carts are £10, over 5 times the non branded ones.

I also agree that printers are cheap sold as loss leaders making money back on the cartridges, but obviously ones sold by them, not competitors. Surely thats obvious? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well epson aren't going to make any money if its a competitor are they :confused:

If you actually choose epson on that very link you posted the carts are £10, over 5 times the non branded ones.

I also agree that printers are cheap sold as loss leaders making money back on the cartridges, but obviously ones sold by them, not competitors. Surely thats obvious? :confused:

yes you're :confused:

I thought my post was perfectly clear. Have you followed the whole thread?
    Somebody like

except for the price, there's no difference between epson and compatible inks.
    The link i posted was to show the OP you can get cheap compatible inks, that link shows that.
    A retailer like scan would not sell crap.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes you're :confused:

I thought my post was perfectly clear. Have you followed the whole thread?

except for the price, there's no difference between epson and compatible inks.
    The link i posted was to show the OP you can get cheap compatible inks, that link shows that.
    A retailer like scan would not sell crap.

I've followed fine. You originally replied to

Which is talk about loss leaders. Epson making money on the cartridges rather than the printer. Then you posted a link about cheap nonbranded cartridges which is irrelevant to loss leader discussion.
    Forum Member
    except for the price, there's no difference between epson and compatible inks..

Yes, there is a difference. The compatible will have lower quality ink which is likely to fade quicker especially if left out inn the light.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I use compatibles and have have very few problems, in fact I only had a problem with one yellow ink where it would not work. I have originals at the moment as they came witht he printer, but I have also got some compatibles ready to go in.

Fine for general printing however would not use them for prints that I care about.

In the past I have used Epson compatibles and the difference in print quality was
    glaringly obvious. If you want prints that wont fade anytime soon then with compatables your into the unknown. you could be lucky 10 years down the road or you could finish up with deteriorating images.
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    The main reason that third party ink is cheaper is that they refill old cartridges. If you use a decent supplier of cheap ink then the ink quality should be OK. All inkjet ink is prone to fading but the cheap stuff should not be much worse then the original inks. For all the blather about ink quality, the truth is that colour ink is a very old technology and it is not like Epson or HP have a patent on a some special non-fading yellow ink. Besides the actual ink is not even the expensive part of the operation when you are buying cheap ink! The labour costs of cleaning, refilling, testing, repackaging and delivering the cartridges are where the bulk of the cost lies so skimping a few pence on using decent quality ink is not worth it for any company hoping to get repeat business.

I have had good results buying third party laser toner (black and colour) and good results on third party black inkjet ink. For colour inkjet ink I find it a bit more hit and miss but generally OK so long as you buy from a well established company who know what they are doing,

I tried the thing where you refill the cartridges yourself with a syringe once. That did not work well and was not worth the effort.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fine for general printing however would not use them for prints that I care about.

In the past I have used Epson compatibles and the difference in print quality was
    glaringly obvious. If you want prints that wont fade anytime soon then with compatables your into the unknown. you could be lucky 10 years down the road or you could finish up with deteriorating images.

Sorry to disappoint you, but most ink jet inks prints will fade within five years. Saying that I have a print from a old Epson 800 and it is over 15 years old, but the main reason it have not faded is because it is in a box.
    The best way to print photos that do not fade is either use a service that prints them for you like in Boots or to buy a proper phto printer, like the Selphy, which seals the image.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Yes, there is a difference. The compatible will have lower quality ink which is likely to fade quicker especially if left out inn the light.

Yes, it can be a lower quality, you got to watch what you buy. the ones i have now are from a different company than i normally use, so we will see when I try them out.
  • bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use compatible carts in my epson printer, each one I have bought. Prints will fade in sunlight. Print it again and all is well. If I wanted a really high quality "print" I'd get it done at Boots upload to photobox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigalt wrote: »
    Use compatible carts in my epson printer, each one I have bought. Prints will fade in sunlight. Print it again and all is well. If I wanted a really high quality "print" I'd get it done at Boots upload to photobox.

One day I may get myself a little selphy printer, They are fine for the odd phto you want to keep, expensive if you do a load with them mind you.

My brother got a Epson version, but we can not get it working with Windows 7, that is the problem with Epson, they seem to drop support too quickly,
  • bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to use my epson for printing out cards for birthdays and such. Got a laser for letters. I do miss the going to Supasnaps and opening the envelope and seeing what had turned out the way you remembered it. Ah the good old days.