Options

Catastrophe - Sharon Horgan, C4

Comments

• Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this straight away, unusual for me cause I can't bear most comedies these days.

Glad to see a thread for it :)
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked this in another thread - but I'll ask again here...anyone know who did the theme tune for this show? It sounds a bit like the theme from Raising Arizona.
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. Helps that I fancy pants off Rob Delaney. Will be interesting to see how it pans out. Could've appealed to a much bigger audience without the c-word.

And I quite like the look of Ms Horgan too :)
    Not sure the C word is going to make much difference though.
    If anything, it was the "aren't we cool with our smoking?" bits that nearly made me give up, I find it so revolting!
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. I'm a big fan of Sharon Horgan. She can do no wrong in my eyes. Very funny.

I didn't think I'd like Rob Delaney. Some of his "hilarious" tweets that somehow get thrust into my timeline have always made me roll my eyes, but I liked him in this. The bit outside the school where he was talking to the kids was funny. And "London Sex" when Sharon called him had me laughing more than it probably should have.

Good show. Will definitely continue watching.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded this and only got round to watching it last night, anyway I enjoyed it a lot. Sharon Horgan is usually good and this is a very funny adult relationship comedy, probably the best I've seen since Him & Her. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded it purely for Carrie Fisher, who wasn't in this episode!

Pleasantly surprised with it however and will record the rest.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    I recorded it purely for Carrie Fisher, who wasn't in this episode!

Pleasantly surprised with it however and will record the rest.

Oh, I thought Rob's Mother was played Kathleen Turner from the trailers, that's just based on the voice though.
    Not that it bothers me, either one would be nice to see, they'll say something amusing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is rolling on quite nicely, as they clearlly 'get' each other too.

'I'm going to the toilet, if you're not here when I come back....' nice way of telling a mate of your other half, to bugger off :)
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this. Although I had a fair idea I would with Sharon Horgan involved.

Tonight's eposide was even better than last week's. Lots of out loud laughs.

So excited for this series. Only complaint is that it's only on for half an hour - and tonight's half hour flew in.

Her brother really made me laugh. Droll get. :D

Highlight:

Do you want to go for a walk?
    Yeah, sure. Where do you want to go?
    No, do you want to go for a walk. I need my space. You take up a lot of space. :D
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doctor was hilarious, loved the whole episode tonight.
  • Options
    KittenfaceKittenface Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    This is really getting good. I always find if I enjoy a programme a lot I could immediately watch it again. Loved the jewellers!
    It reminds me of meeting my husband and all that entails. The fun and laughs. Also great to see an older couple meeting and falling in love! Yes have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    446.09375 wrote: »
    That doctor was hilarious, loved the whole episode tonight.

I agree, it WAS hilarious!

I laughed all the way through this tonight.

Imagine if a doctor really spoke like that when you went for a second opinion! :o:D
  • Options
    pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Great second episode. Love how many subtle jokes they pack into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I agree, it WAS hilarious!

I laughed all the way through this tonight.

Imagine if a doctor really spoke like that when you went for a second opinion! :o:D

That actor is always playing truly hateful characters, Docs, Lawyers, Bankers with no redeeming features.
    He was one of Sharon's hateful boyfriends on Pulling.

I noticed he used the hand gel even though he didn't touch anyone, just the thought of touching 'filthy patients' was enough :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That actor is always playing truly hateful characters, Docs, Lawyers, Bankers with no redeeming features.
    He was one of Sharon's hateful boyfriends on Pulling.

I noticed he used the hand gel even though he didn't touch anyone, just the thought of touching 'filthy patients' was enough :)

well I must say he is very good at it!

I've only half watched the first few episodes - but I realise this comedy is so good I need to watch it properly all over again! :D
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The show has been renewed for a 2nd series. That was quick. Didn't think they would announce it so soon.
  • Options
    pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    The show has been renewed for a 2nd series. That was quick. Didn't think they would announce it so soon.

Glad they have though, it's got a lot of potential.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Finally caught up on the first two episodes. Really good, even better than I expected. Sharon Horgan is wonderful as always, Rob is great too and the supporting cast are all good value, especially her brother.
    Some great one liners and laugh out loud moments. Best UK comedy in forever.
  • Options
    StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Renewed for a second series? Hooray. I was at university with the current C4 head of comedy in the 80s, so three cheers to him. (Mind you, haven't seen him for about 20 years...)

In a cynical, nasty modern world, isn't it something to see the guy doing the decent thing?

Along with Brooklyn Nine NIne, comedy highlight of the week for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Finally caught up on the first two episodes. Really good, even better than I expected. Sharon Horgan is wonderful as always, Rob is great too and the supporting cast are all good value, especially her brother.
    Some great one liners and laugh out loud moments. Best UK comedy in forever.

In the second episode, thought the actor who played Robs friend looked familiar. It was Daniel Lapaine husband of Fay Ripley. He played the South African swimmer in Muriel's Wedding.
    Thought he was great in Catastrophe playing a total sleaze ball!

Can't wait for the third episode. Totally agree that it's gearing up to be a classic series.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it when she put the ring on and said "ah, its just a big of piss !".
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Loved it when she put the ring on and said "ah, its just a big of piss !".

'a bit of' I think you mean.

Not sure what was good about that.
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I happened upon the second episode by chance and was surprised how good it was - seems they may have pulled off a gem here.

2nd episode repeated tonight at 11.05 Ch4, with the stars on The Norton Show.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Episode 3!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen this yet but it seems to be getting a lot of praise from the press and media. Is it really that good?

Also been renewed for a 2nd series so i suppose it must be doing something right.

I think the 2 main leads were on The Graham Norton Show on Friday night. It's getting repeated tonight so may give it a watch to see what they say.