What's that when it's at home?

hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
Forum Member
Classic stuff. Of course I could be here all night talking about the wonderful slang words from England. I used to think it was all an act on the telly until I heard these phrases in person.

What is your favourite slang terms or regional phrases? Do you ever use them in everyday life or are they from a bygone era, a generational thing?

Comments

• ScPDScPD Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    The slang terms for 'Bread rolls' always bring amusement
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We never had a dog :( but the times me old da' went to see a man about one...
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a child, I often scratched my head wondering who the hell the cat's mother was...
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got 'owt compares to you by Sinead O'Connor?

t'Lion, t'Witch and t'Wardrobe.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not as green as I'm cabbage looking. :D
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one of my mum's favourites...
    "It's a bit black over bill's mother's" !!!:D [referring to black clouds/impending bad weather]

i spent ages as a little girl wondering who bill and indeed his mother were!!:D
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mother has a favorite saying. It's --don't get your knickers in a twist.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs" said by my grandmother even when she lived in a bungalow :D
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the one's alluding to violence, and often wanted to be a victim in order to experience these marvels :

"I'll knock you into the middle of next week"

How cool,,!! What a buzz that journey would be.

"I'll kick the shit out of you"

Not so cool..but watching myself poo as a foot pounded my body would nonetheless be fascinating.

"I'll whip your arse"

Always sounded more like a latent sexual desire on the part of those threatening.

"I'll kick your head in"

Always made me think..Is my head currently 'out?'

..so many more. Violence and the veritable array of WTF sentiments have always amused me.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's swings and roundabouts". Meaning what you gain in one hand you lose on the other. But wft do swings and roundabouts have to do with either winning or losing?
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing"

Meaning, for example, two departments of a major corporation aren't communicating well.

"The left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing"

Meaning that things are so completely ****ed up they don't even know what they are doing themselves.:confused:
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I was stood waiting like piffy on a rock bun.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    'Hells bells and buckets of blood' - said when something had gone wrong. A personal favourite of my mothers.

'All my eye and Betty Martin' - means someone is talking a load of rubbish. My grandfather's favourite.

'He's about as useful as a fart in a colander' - someone who is absolutely useless. My grandmother used this a lot.

'He was like a duck in thunderstorm' - someone running around not knowing what they are doing. Again my grandmother.

'If you leave that there long enough, it will turn into a pigs trotter - said to me when caught picking my nose. My grandmothers again.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    When I moved to London there were far too many phrases to list here, but my favourite [one which made me truly laugh out loud the first time I heard it], was said to describe someone who had fallen over in an ungainly or funny way:-

'He went over like a dog f******* a football'

It still makes me smile, just typing it.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's like you since Leatherarse died? - who's he?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Have you got 'owt compares to you by Sinead O'Connor?

t'Lion, t'Witch and t'Wardrobe.

T'Gud, T'Bad and T'Ugly
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    We never had a dog :( but the times me old da' went to see a man about one...

You too? Whenever we asked dad where he was going, the answer was always "to see a man about a dog".
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    You too? Whenever we asked dad where he was going, the answer was always "to see a man about a dog".

I remember being disappointed when the long awaited dog never appeared!
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid in London, there was a neighbour lady who often used the expression, "standing there like two of eels".
    As we were all newcomers to Britain in our house, none of us knew what it meant.
    We'd heard of jellied eels, so thought that it was two portions of them, but why standing there?
    Our best guess was that it meant impatient for something to happen.
    Eventually my mother discovered that it meant unable to make your mind up, or confused as to what was happening.
    I haven't heard it for years now, but I still don't get it.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum was always making a pig's ear out of things.

She once said to me, how can we expect foreigners to learn English when it makes not much sense to the rest of us :D (remark made after a French girl working at a make-up counter looked utterly befuddled after the above remark had been made :D)
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One that always struck me as meaningless is 'spare prick at a wedding'.......someone out of place

As far as I know weddings have never been attended by couples only.......:o
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    'you look like summat the cat dragged in'.........even though we never had a cat.......:D

a nice one was 'what did you last slave die of?'.........which mum used to say if you asked her to get you something
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thread :)

My mother had a few weird sayings, mostly directed towards me .

I was often " standing like a knot less thread"

Looked like a "sack of tatties, " because my belts were too tight on coat dress etc.

I would have to make a " kirk or a mill of things ". Ie a temple or a millstone of my life.

And " I'll draw my hand across your face " for answering back .
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid in London, there was a neighbour lady who often used the expression, "standing there like two of eels".
    As we were all newcomers to Britain in our house, none of us knew what it meant.
    We'd heard of jellied eels, so thought that it was two portions of them, but why standing there?
    Our best guess was that it meant impatient for something to happen.
    Eventually my mother discovered that it meant unable to make your mind up, or confused as to what was happening.
    I haven't heard it for years now, but I still don't get it.

Could be related to "Standing there like one of Lewis's"
    The store (Lewis's) gave rise to the well-known phrase "Standing there like one of Lewis's", referring to the wax mannequins placed in windows in the 1920s, some of the first in the north-west of England.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my mother's favourites (passed on from her mother): " A blind man on a galloping horse wouldn't see it". Used when something wasn't quite perfect but good enough to do the job.