The original 1969 Randall and Hopkirk; who remembers it?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This was my favourite TV series in late '69 which used to be on a Friday evening after a serries called Parkin's Patch in our ITV region at least. This half hour police series seemed last ages. The production values on R&H were not exactly top notch [Kenneth Cope wore his wig back to front for four episodes I believe], but it was miles ahead of Reeves and Mortimer version.

Comments

• Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    It's repeated on ITV4 at the mo.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great programme, probably my favourite of all the Dennis Spooner productions from the late 60's although The Champions was good too. Fortunately I could never bring myself to watch the Reeves and Mortimer version, given the reviews it got this is something I'm quite glad of. Just in case you don't know the original Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) is currently being shown on ITV4 every morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajman wrote: »
    Great programme, probably my favourite of all the Dennis Spooner productions from the late 60's although The Champions was good too. Fortunately I could never bring myself to watch the Reeves and Mortimer version, given the reviews it got this is something I'm quite glad of. Just in case you don't know the original Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) is currently being shown on ITV4 every morning.

I have all 26 episodes on DVD from rcent ITV4 screenings. as well as all 30 eps. of 'Man in a Suitcase' although I was not fussed at the time it was originally on.
  • snotrageatersnotrageater Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have all 26 episodes on DVD from rcent ITV4 screenings. as well as all 30 eps. of 'Man in a Suitcase' although I was not fussed at the time it was originally on.

Why not buy the episodes on proper dvd?
    The ITV4 versions are all missing between 3 and 4 minutes each .
    The dvd boxset also has 4 episodes with the original opening credits seen on the ITV broadcasts of the 70's but then lost until 2000.
    The dvd boxset also has a couple of nice documentaries.
    One reunites Annette Andre and Kenneth Cope and the other is a tribute to Mike Pratt who died in 1976 , so he was never able to see just how appreciated the series was despite ITV's best efforts to bury it when it was first on.

Production values were far higher than most British tv shows at the time simply by being made on 35mm film which is why it stands up today and why its suitable for a Bluray release.

It's not as glossy and colourful as The Champions or The Persuaders but then its not supposed to be .
    It's about a hard up downtrodden PI who can't afford to pay his bills.

R&H is my fave British series of all time.
    I finally got round to watching the first episode of the remake a few weeks ago but I've not watched anymore yet.
    The arrival of Tom Baker as someone from the world where Marty lives sounds really crap but I will give it another go soon.

The series is generally seen as the most popular of all the ITC shows of that era.
    ITV repeated it in the mid 80's and it was the first ITC show aired by the BBC after the Gerry Anderson series .
    But its been done to death on ITV4
  • pussyfootpussyfoot Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved that programme back in the day, even though i was prob only 8 or 9 years old. It always stood the test of time, no matter how old it was and however many times it was repeated over the years....i can even remember watching it on the maternity ward tv when i was in labour with my daughter in 1987! Its got a nostalgia value to it, seeing all the fashions and locations of the late 1960's. The remake was miscast, imo, it could have been so much better with the right actors and not second rate 'comedians'.
  • emmerdaleloveremmerdalelover Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not quite old enough to remember 1969 - but I remember it being repeated on afternoon TV in the 70s. Wonderful series!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wake up Jeff !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not quite old enough to remember 1969 - but I remember it being repeated on afternoon TV in the 70s. Wonderful series!

Unfortunately that was where it was nearly always shown.
    Or last thing at night.
    It's testament to the quality of the show that being buried in the schedules was not a big enough hurdle to make people forget it.

When it was first on I lived in Anglia land who ignored it for a whole year but fortunately I could also receive London ITV so I managed to see some of the series when it first appeared on sundays at 7.25 on LWT in 1969 and I then followed it as best I could when they moved it to Fridays at 7.30 in Jan 1970.

I caught some weekend repeats in the early 70's but by 1973 we had moved and I had no access to LWT so I was stuck catching the odd Anglia afternoon broadcast in school holidays and I was gutted when I missed a good run on saturday mornings by LWT in 1975.

Many regions aired it on sunday afternoons but not Anglia:mad:

When ITV started repeating it in the mid 80's I was mortified that the original "only you jeff only you" credits were gone .
  • ajaaja Posts: 1,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately that was where it was nearly always shown.
    Or last thing at night.
    It's testament to the quality of the show that being buried in the schedules was not a big enough hurdle to make people forget it.

When it was first on I lived in Anglia land who ignored it for a whole year but fortunately I could also receive London ITV so I managed to see some of the series when it first appeared on sundays at 7.25 on LWT in 1969 and I then followed it as best I could when they moved it to Fridays at 7.30 in Jan 1970.

I caught some weekend repeats in the early 70's but by 1973 we had moved and I had no access to LWT so I was stuck catching the odd Anglia afternoon broadcast in school holidays and I was gutted when I missed a good run on saturday mornings by LWT in 1975.

Many regions aired it on sunday afternoons but not Anglia:mad:

When ITV started repeating it in the mid 80's I was mortified that the original "only you jeff only you" credits were gone .

If I remember rightly, when the series was first shown in inthe 60s STV only joined the series at episode 3!

Re the R & M remake, the main problem with it IMHO was they both played the wrong characters!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aja wrote: »
    If I remember rightly, when the series was first shown in inthe 60s STV only joined the series at episode 3!

Re the R & M remake, the main problem with it IMHO was they both played the wrong characters!

In 1969 very little was networked so STV would likely have shown it when they wanted to and not as part of a linkup with another broadcaster so they should not have skipped the first 2 episodes but what was episode 2.
    Apart from the first episode most regions played them in a different order to everyone else anyway.
    IIRC the UK boxset follows the LWT order which is not the production order nor the order that ITC recommended.

I have the Australian dvd boxset too which follows another order entirely
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Visually the remake was much better than the original but Vic and Bob are rubbish actors. They also binned Edwin Astley's marvellous theme music which is unforgivable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Visually the remake was much better than the original but Vic and Bob are rubbish actors. They also binned Edwin Astley's marvellous theme music which is unforgivable.

As with so many of the ITC shows it is what the actors bring to the characters that makes the show.

The main 3 were irreplaceable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    The remake was dreadful, really disappointed.

I wasn't born until early 70s, but in the 80s Central TV showed the original at lunchtimes, so I used to go home for lunch to watch it, helped I was only a 3 min walk from school.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought quite a few episodes on DVD here in the Czech Republic when they were selling it at news-stands as a one-disc-a-week series. The wife tells me that it was one of the few British series shown on Czechoslovak TV in the 1970s.
    Like most ITC series, it actually looks good, glossy and well lit.

And Annette Andre was lovely. Or maybe it was just the 1960s mascara that did it for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    I bought quite a few episodes on DVD here in the Czech Republic when they were selling it at news-stands as a one-disc-a-week series. The wife tells me that it was one of the few British series shown on Czechoslovak TV in the 1970s.
    Like most ITC series, it actually looks good, glossy and well lit.

And Annette Andre was lovely. Or maybe it was just the 1960s mascara that did it for me.

The main reason ITC show have lasted so well is that they were shot on 35mm and so look far better than VT shows which look dated almost immediately.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff! Jeff, wake up! Yes I remember it fondly. I watch it on Freeview whenever it is on. The ladies fashion bring back many fond memories. I didn't bother to watch the remake because I loath Vic Reeves
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Remember it? Its on a loop all the time on ITV4. Great series though. One you can watch over and over. Nothing on todays tv competes for action and adventure like the old ITC programmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not buy the episodes on proper dvd?
    The ITV4 versions are all missing between 3 and 4 minutes each .
    The dvd boxset also has 4 episodes with the original opening credits seen on the ITV broadcasts of the 70's but then lost until 2000.
    The dvd boxset also has a couple of nice documentaries.
    One reunites Annette Andre and Kenneth Cope and the other is a tribute to Mike Pratt who died in 1976 , so he was never able to see just how appreciated the series was despite ITV's best efforts to bury it when it was first on.

Production values were far higher than most British tv shows at the time simply by being made on 35mm film which is why it stands up today and why its suitable for a Bluray release.

It's not as glossy and colourful as The Champions or The Persuaders but then its not supposed to be .
    It's about a hard up downtrodden PI who can't afford to pay his bills.
    R&H is my fave British series of all time.
    I finally got round to watching the first episode of the remake a few weeks ago but I've not watched anymore yet.
    The arrival of Tom Baker as someone from the world where Marty lives sounds really crap but I will give it another go soon.

The series is generally seen as the most popular of all the ITC shows of that era.
    ITV repeated it in the mid 80's and it was the first ITC show aired by the BBC after the Gerry Anderson series .
    But its been done to death on ITV4

Yes, it's criminal the way ITV4 chops this and other ITC series. Surely they know it's the whole package, intros and all that people tune in for from nostalgia.
    They should have 65min slots which would allow the whole episisode.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched as a kid - not sure wether it would stand up now though. I actually rather liked the R&M remake and enjoyed Tom Baker's character - and Emelia Fox was a babe!
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent series. Very well made for the era as well, as could be expected from an ITC production.

BBC Two used to repeat it years ago. I've been watching it on ITV4 but they hack it to pieces.

The remake was very poor and quite tacky by comparison.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV repeated the series in 1986/1987, then BBC2 started to repeat it in 1994-1996. I agree ITV4 have repeated it to death, they must have shown it about 10 times by now.
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,584
    Forum Member
    I also love this series and unfortunately I remember it from when it was first broadcast.

One point nobody has mentioned above is the theme music, which I love. Probably my second all-time fave "theme", just behind The Persuaders :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    I also love this series and unfortunately I remember it from when it was first broadcast.

One point nobody has mentioned above is the theme music, which I love. Probably my second all-time fave "theme", just behind The Persuaders :)

See post 12.:)
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Must say i still prefer old series like this to stuff nowadays. The deep and doc martin dont compare at all.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    And just for the sake of completing the trivia, The actor who played Jeff Randall was the father of Guy Pratt - session musician extraordinaire and (latter) Pink Floyd bassist.