Options

The Event channel4 9pm friday

jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody watched in the USA yet?
The name has so many connotations that originally i thought channel4 were doing something with jimmy carr or derren brown lol

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stench of Flashboreward hangs heavy over this one from the bits I’ve seen.
  • Options
    ginockginock Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its been a long time that a us sci fi series has really captured my attention. I for instance couldn't care less when Lost finished but I am interested in this. I will likely watch it on Friday to see what it is like but I don't really know what to expect.
  • Options
    dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it so far (first 3 episodes) ...

I like the non-contiguous storytelling.
    It's Aliens.

:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just watched episode 1.
    it was ok
    theres a lot of money spent on it so it should get better
    the only thing i dont like is that they are always focussing on differnet periods of time and ur having to remind yourself of whats happening in the past and now
  • Options
    jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the first one and wasn't to sure about it. Watched 15 minutes of the second one and decided it's not for me!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Not Think About The Event

Remain Indoors
  • Options
    AFCDonsAFCDons Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it quite entertaining in as much as I want to find out what The Event (ie the subject of the title) is all about...

I saw it advertised when I was in the USA in September and have *cough* downloaded and watched the first 4 episodes...

Although it does tend to leap around timelines-wise a bit too much in the first couple of episodes there are enough questions being asked to keep me coming back for more...

Basically the story is...
    There is a new President, he discovers that the CIA have been covering up the fact that there are 97 people, of 'unknown' origin, who have been held captive in a facility in Alaska for 66 years having been in a 'plane'? that crashed in 1944... And they don't age so are as young as they were when they were captured. But there are more than 97 as in the 1944 crash some of them got away and have since merged into society. The President decides that the general public needs to know about the 97 and, along with the leader of the 97, is going to hold a press conference to tell the world about them... But, as they are about to announce to the world they come under attack from a passenger plane flying on a collision course towarrds them... I'll leave what happens for you to find out but, suffice to say, there seems to be involvement from the CIA, the NSA and possibly an insider in the Whitehouse that doesn't want the info about the 97 released... And in the meantime those of the original crashed ''others'' that weren't captured start making steps to publise themselves to the world anyway... Its cross... double-cross, and triple-cross... And what 'The Event' is that everything is alluding to has yet to be revealed...

Well *I* like it!!
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    AFCDons wrote: »
    I find it quite entertaining in as much as I want to find out what The Event (ie the subject of the title) is all about...

I saw it advertised when I was in the USA in September and have *cough* downloaded and watched the first 4 episodes...

Although it does tend to leap around timelines-wise a bit too much in the first couple of episodes there are enough questions being asked to keep me coming back for more...

Basically the story is...
    There is a new President, he discovers that the CIA have been covering up the fact that there are 97 people, of 'unknown' origin, who have been held captive in a facility in Alaska for 66 years having been in a 'plane'? that crashed in 1944... And they don't age so are as young as they were when they were captured. But there are more than 97 as in the 1944 crash some of them got away and have since merged into society. The President decides that the general public needs to know about the 97 and, along with the leader of the 97, is going to hold a press conference to tell the world about them... But, as they are about to announce to the world they come under attack from a passenger plane flying on a collision course towarrds them... I'll leave what happens for you to find out but, suffice to say, there seems to be involvement from the CIA, the NSA and possibly an insider in the Whitehouse that doesn't want the info about the 97 released... And in the meantime those of the original crashed ''others'' that weren't captured start making steps to publise themselves to the world anyway... Its cross... double-cross, and triple-cross... And what 'The Event' is that everything is alluding to has yet to be revealed...

Well *I* like it!!

ohh sounds really good like Lost will have to watch this :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen three episodes now and I'm giving up. It's just not gripping enough for me. I'm still bitter about Flash Forward being cancelled though, so I'm not giving many new programmes a go so far. :(
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The usual conspiracy rubbish. Nothing original in this it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well its on tonight
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Do Not Think About The Event

Remain Indoors

:D That was my first thought when I heard it was called The Event.
    I hope this is more like Lost than Flashforward....
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decky3 wrote: »
    I've seen three episodes now and I'm giving up. It's just not gripping enough for me. I'm still bitter about Flash Forward being cancelled though, so I'm not giving many new programmes a go so far. :(

I just got to the end of ep.5, and I'm done with it. Nothing interesting ever happens! :confused:
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    :D That was my first thought when I heard it was called The Event.
    I hope this is more like Lost than Flashforward....

It is not like Lost or FlashForward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it will be interesting.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Damn... Missed this thread and started another :o .

Anyway, I had my doubts about this after reading the odd review or two on the internet.
    But had a reply to my little post from MoreTears
    I have seen the first five episodes. I didn't care for the first episode but the next four are better, in my opinion, with the fifth episode being the strongest of all. I am saying this here hoping it will encourage people who may not like the first episode to stick with it a bit longer.

So, I will be watching...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ive read ina couple of places that people are giving up. I havent got around to watching the second so will do it on the weekend and hopefully get into it, but its hard to keep up with the flashbacks
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    I'll be watching The Mentalist I'm afraid.

Who wants another Lost or FlashForward? Not me, both screwed loyal viewers over with terrible endings.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    No but i am looking forward to it! I was in America July and they were showing some very cryptic adverts for it - black screens while a cliop of a telephone call about *the event* was played - how it was a humungous secret, the president didn't know and how everyone would find out! got myself rather worked up as i thought it was an advert for the news LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    I'll be watching The Mentalist I'm afraid.

Who wants another Lost or FlashForward? Not me, both screwed loyal viewers over with terrible endings.

Flashforward were unsure about whether they'd get a second season and ended accordingly - shame they didn't IMO, was quite good after it came back from its (humungous) break, and the lost thing is a matter of opinion - personally i loved it - Sawyer and Juliet:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I havent seen the ending of Lost yet - still on S3 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woops, sorry:o
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to be a load of old nonsense that doesn't go anywhere ala Lost, isn't it?
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Hows it doing US way, i dont wanna start to see it end in 10 weeks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am already getting annoyed with the silly numbers - why not 10 days and 25 minutes:mad: