Options

Once Were Warriors

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
I really can’t recommend this movie highly enough. One of the most emotionally intense and powerful movies I have ever seen, with some of the rawest, most honest acting ever.

Made and set in New Zealand, revolving around a Maori family trying to make ends meet in the ‘ghetto’s of suburban NZ…with the theme of loss of the traditional Maori heritage and culture being eroded being very prominent. In this urban sprawl there is a massive drinking culture, much illegality and a general malaise.

In the midst of this, mother Beth struggles to raise her family, and to respect the ‘old ways’ and their Maori traditions…but is largely helpless in this as her husband Jake (‘Jake the Musc’) thinks the old ways are nonsense, and spends most of his time in the local bar, between working out and flexing his muscles…sadly sometimes on his own wife.

Her task is made harder by having a son about to be put into care due to so many scrapes with the police, another son who seems determined to turn his back on the family and join a Maori teenage gang, and a young daughter whose innocence will be the catalyst for one of the most powerful scenes in the film.

Make no mistake, there are some uncomfortably brutal domestic scenes in this movie.

Rena Owen as Beth gives possibly the best acting performance I have ever seen in a movie, and as an avid filmgoer I don’t make that sort of statement lightly…her determination to make a better life for her kids is powerful and heart wrenching, and Temuera Morrison as Jake, sometimes a loveable bear of a man, others a frightening, unstoppable brute, lashing out with fists flailing, is also terrifyingly believable.

The loss of the Maori cultural heritage is very well portrayed, with lots of scenes of people drinking and singing happy songs, in a vain attempt to mask the drudgery and emptiness of their lives.

If it sounds bleak, well…it can be, but there is a surprising amount of optimism for a film of this type as well. But it’s a film that everyone should see at least once.

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this film when it was first released at cinema. It seared my mind so much that I still can remember every part of the film. The ending still haunts me. Excellent film.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good film, but I don't want to watch it again. It's too depressing.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Great movie. Bleak and depressing though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Good film, but I don't want to watch it again. It's too depressing.

Though it's a harsh and very brutal film, I can't really call it depressing.

For a number of reasons...

Jakes character, whilst essentially a drunken brute, can be quite charming and loveable as well...and heroic. The scene where he beats up the guy in the bar who puts the jukebox on is a kind of romantic, chivalrous act. And despite his innate chauvinism and propensity for violence, his wife still see's some attraction in him.

The children too...though wayward and problematic all have good qualities in them that make you feel they will be able to rise above their situation.

Then there is the whole camerarderie aspect of the culture, singing, relaxing, chilling out etc...wasteful though it may be, those are kind of feelgood moments amidthe bleakness of the film.

Then of course there is the ending, very optimistic.

I think the film gets the balance right...you may only remember the bad parts, but there was much more to the film than that...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good movie,theres a sequel as well,it's not a good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the sequel once, and was very disappointed in it.

However, I think it's probably worth giving it another chance.

Though Temuera Morrison reprises his role as Jake, I was very disappointed that Rena Owen did not appear.

For me her performance in the first movie is one of the best performances I have ever seen an actor give.

She gives it absolutely everything, she shows the pain, the emotion, the love for her children, and even for her husband, in that way that women often still stand by abusive husbands by trying to convince themselves things will get better...and her belief and trust in her Maori culture and heritage, and the 'old ways'. Her strength of character and resolve after she is beaten almost unrecogniseable by Jake almost goes beyond acting.

And Morrison himself...that ability to portray a character who can be likeable and jovial, singing and laughing with his friends one minute, being amorous with his wife...to instantly becoming a complete monster.

The great shame is that both Morrison and Owen tended to fade a little after this movie, despite their incredible acting performances...Morrison seemed to go for small roles in big Hollywood movies, like Speed 2, Barb Wire, and most famously as Jango Fett in the recent Star Wars prequels. Sadly,despite his acting ability he seems to be chosen for his physical presence in his subsequent roles.

Owen also appeared in some of the SW movies, as well as briefly in Spielbergs AI...there seemed to be a large influx of NZ actors appearing in big budget movies around that time, maybe due to the LOTR movies, and the hollywood connection.

However, after this she seemed to concentrate on smaller films and tv series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I know it's an old thread, but I happened to come across this excellent recent documentary on the making of this movie on youtube.

If you like the movie, this is an essential watch-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TggnMBEiKhQ
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Make the man some fuc*** eggs!'.Ultra violent and seen nothing else like it since.
    Loved this film when it first came out.Never seen it on the telly again..
    Looked into the Maori background to the film and it's very true to life.:(
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I know it's an old thread, but I happened to come across this excellent recent documentary on the making of this movie on youtube.

If you like the movie, this is an essential watch-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TggnMBEiKhQ

I'll watch that later Ted.Thanks for the link.:)
  • Options
    annielouannielou Posts: 10,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watched this on a video many years ago, back in the days of video rental shops. I remember being annoyed with my other half for choosing it, as I'd never heard of it.

But what a film, as someone else said I can still remember it clearly, and the strong characters and the marriage. As interesting was the lives of the Maoris in their native New Zealand and the sub culture they now exist in. Excellent example of world cinema.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was made to watch this when I was in NZ LOL. They love it over there and quote it all the time. It was a good movie but pretty depressing. It's definitely due a re-watch sometime soon.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    "Uncle f--king Bully!!!!"

Awesome film. I watched the "Where are they now?" documentary a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Rena Owen is a formidable actress.

The sequel "What becomes of the broken hearted?" is an inferior, but interesting sequel in that it takes a very different tone to OWW and concentrates on the gang culture. I do like Jake's redemption arc though, and his humanity prevails in the end. Look out for his funny speech when he is trying to explain the violence to his girlfriend Gloria "Uncles hitting aunties, everybody f--king hitting everybody" :D
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annielou wrote: »
    We watched this on a video many years ago, back in the days of video rental shops. I remember being annoyed with my other half for choosing it, as I'd never heard of it.

But what a film, as someone else said I can still remember it clearly, and the strong characters and the marriage. As interesting was the lives of the Maoris in their native New Zealand and the sub culture they now exist in. Excellent example of world cinema.

I liked the film but isn't it just a kitchen sink drama with Maoris instead of northerners?
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I made it all the way to the end when I tried to watch this a few years ago. Too bleak, grim and depressing.