Options

BT Sport pulls up a barstool in 10,000 pubs for Premier League opening day

MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
BT Sport pulls up a barstool in 10,000 pubs for Premier League opening day

By Alex Lane on Friday, 16th August 2013

More than 10,000 British pubs will be able to show BT’s selection of Barclays Premier League football matches from this weekend.

Venues include 1,370 Betfred bookmakers as well as pubs, clubs, betting shops, and hotels, all paying up to 76 per cent of the cost of Sky’s commercial package.

BT Sport and the Barclays Premier League will kick off tomorrow with Liverpool v Stoke City at 12.45pm, with the first Sky Sports match - Swansea City v Manchester United - at 5.30pm.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-sport-pulls-up-a-barstool-in-10000-pubs-for-premier-league-opening-day_M12015.html

More choice and more competition has to be good:)

Comments

• Options
    livininadavelivininadave Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    More choice and more competition has to be good:)
    yeah, because the prices are now lower because of the competition that has been created!
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has someone from BT pulled up a barstool in each of these individual pubs, and did someone count this? ;););)

I think it has worked out cheaper for me though, although I do realise not everyone has BT broadband.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    I wonder how many of those pubs have BT Sport only? I would wager many or most will have gone for both BT and Sky.

I could see BT Sport working in bookies on a Saturday lunchtime. I suspect the BetFred connection is part though of a bigger commercial arrangement between that company and BT Sport so they probably get a discount.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    I wonder how many of those pubs have BT Sport only? I would wager many or most will have gone for both BT and Sky.

I could see BT Sport working in bookies on a Saturday lunchtime. I suspect the BetFred connection is part though of a bigger commercial arrangement between that company and BT Sport so they probably get a discount.

I expect many have taken the introductory offer.
    Pubs and clubs that sign up to BT Sport before July 1, 2013, will get twelve months subscription for the price of nine and BT is also offering all licensed premises a free box and free standard installation if they do not have the set top box and satellite dish needed to receive the new service. Just over half of independent pubs who take this offer will pay the equivalent of £135 per month for BT Sport.

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=D0307414-E052-4AD2-B23E-BFF015637BD9
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Just over half of independent pubs who take this offer will pay the equivalent of £135 per month for BT Sport."

That's quite a lot cheaper than Sky, isn't it? How much do they charge pubs?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's have another BT Sport thread and another
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    "Just over half of independent pubs who take this offer will pay the equivalent of £135 per month for BT Sport."

That's quite a lot cheaper than Sky, isn't it?

Should hope so too. There's a lot less "Let's go to the pub to watch...." content on BT Sport.

No doubt the BT Sport only pubs will be a lot emptier when the Man U match is on this afternoon and the Chelsea, Spurs matches tomorrow.
  • Options
    promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

Let's have another person in another BT Sport thread moaning about there being another BT Sport thread! ;)
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    Let's have another person in another BT Sport thread moaning about there being another BT Sport thread! ;)

It takes up space on the main page for other topics that then get lost and not seen if you talking about BT Sport just use the thread that is there.
  • Options
    MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It takes up space on the main page for other topics that then get lost and not seen if you talking about BT Sport just use the thread that is there.

People are able within limits set by Digitalspy to post if they want and the posts do get replies.

Better those topics you claim get lost are put in a Get lost thread so everyone knows where they are:cool:
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many pubs will show the Avivva Premership Games?

With the 3pm 'blackout' some no doubt will pick up foriegn Premier League broadcasts. but will others just stick on the rugby?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I think some company should hive off the evening posts, say posts between 7pm and 11pm, set up a new thread and charge people additional fees to read them
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I think some company should hive off the evening posts, say posts between 7pm and 11pm, set up a new thread and charge people additional fees to read them

and will 11pm tp 2am be 'adult threads' maybe hire a few young ladies to start threads? :rolleyes: