Harrow - A Very British School

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    Oh, the irony!!!

Not really, I just thought "cheeky bugger" I wonder if he's ever had to "stand corrected" and a quick search showed you had, just a few of your posts back on another thread.
    No probs, but as they say, "glass houses" etc.,
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Not a bad Doc.

A lot has been seen before, kids homesick - learning the rules.

But there was Chocolates on the Pillows - Doubles - Send ups,:confused: and an amazing Assembly Hall.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    No, not arrogant. It just shows that you didn't pick up on the word-play in the title.
    Maybe if you'd gone to Harrow, you would have :D

Hint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_British_Coup

Hmm. In Scotland, a coup (or cowp) is a midden (dung-hill), or rubbish-heap. No comparison with an English public school is intended or inferred...
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    Re. the programme. What struck me was that the school obviously doesn't only educate British boys these days, very multi-cultural establishment. The place looked stifling. I know I would have hated it. 'Conform or write multitudes of lines!' I felt sorry for that lad who lost his hat.
    The very existence of these elite schools flies in the face of equal opportunity, the old school network is alive and well, make no mistake!
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite enjoyed it - interesting stuff.

Does anyone know the name of the modern song that plays throughout? It's killing me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I watched about half of it.
    It was rubbish but did cause me to be angry & sad :mad: :cry:
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    Re. the programme. What struck me was that the school obviously doesn't only educate British boys these days, very multi-cultural establishment. The place looked stifling. I know I would have hated it. 'Conform or write multitudes of lines!' I felt sorry for that lad who lost his hat.
    The very existence of these elite schools flies in the face of equal opportunity, the old school network is alive and well, make no mistake!
    Er they never did only educate British boys. Schools like Harrow and Eton are world renown
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit weird making them dress up as (very convincing) women for the school play - cant have helped the home sickness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Watch out for Dylan as next Prime Minister, seems to have the necessary qualities.
    Why would parents allow their children to be gasped at like this?
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    A bit weird making them dress up as (very convincing) women for the school play - cant have helped the home sickness.
    That was very strange.....but they still don't have Girls there - do they.:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the modern song that plays throughout? It's killing me!

*bump*!
  • Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    To me all private schools should be shut down as its elists and divides the country more.

If Finland can ban them and have a successful system why can't we?
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me all private schools should be shut down as its elists and divides the country more.

if people wish to provide a service and others wish to buy it, the state has no right to intervene that would be bordering on dictatorship
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But what would it achieve? All that would happen is the offspring of the rich and famous living in the UK would be sent abroad for their education.

If you think closing down such schools would lead to the local millionaire's children going to the nearest comprehensive, then you are sadly mistaken.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    if people wish to provide a service and others wish to buy it, the state has no right to intervene that would be bordering on dictatorship

And where do most dictator's send their kids to school? Rarely through their own country's education system!
    Forum Member
    james_W85 wrote: »

Like buying and selling drugs? Or prostitution?
  • R VR V Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Lived in Harrow in the 80's and often drank in The Castle on Harrow Hill. I've been told Harrow ain't what it used to be then.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Like buying and selling drugs? Or prostitution?

Because of course those things are so similar to the provision of high quality education, aren't they?
    Forum Member
    Because of course those things are so similar to the provision of high quality education, aren't they?

Doesn't matter, both fall under the OP's definition of provision and purchase of a service.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What would be the equivalent of a school like Harrow for girls? Would it be somewhere like Cheltenham Ladies' College?
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R V wrote: »
    Lived in Harrow in the 80's and often drank in The Castle on Harrow Hill. I've been told Harrow ain't what it used to be then.

Depends what you think it used to be, like most parts of London it has changed.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding this show quite interesting, thought the first two episodes were good.

One thing that struck me: I'd assumed with schools like Harrow that kids started them at normal secondary school age i.e. 11, turning 12. Apparently though, the "Shells" are around age 13, so presumably, the school only runs from Year 9 to Year 13.

So typically, what do these kids do in Year 7 and Year 8 before they start Harrow? Do they attend a "normal" school then leave and join Harrow, or what? :confused:
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode and found it quite boring. The producers seemed to be struggling to find a bit of drama, making a bit deal out of a couple of kids feeling a bit lonely and homesick or a few kids committing very minor offences and getting a few lines as punishment. It just seemed to be a bunch of nice inoffensive kids and nice inoffensive teachers doing nice inoffensive stuff. I can't see how they're going to get a series out of this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that struck me: I'd assumed with schools like Harrow that kids started them at normal secondary school age i.e. 11, turning 12. Apparently though, the "Shells" are around age 13, so presumably, the school only runs from Year 9 to Year 13.

So typically, what do these kids do in Year 7 and Year 8 before they start Harrow? Do they attend a "normal" school then leave and join Harrow, or what? :confused:

Many independent schools cater for Years 9-13 - prep schools (most likely where these kids have come from!) will keep the boys until Year 8.
    Forum Member
    Getting a bit bored with this now - with it just looking at West Acre House. Was hoping to see what happens in the School...not just Mr Smiths House, and the competitions they do between the Houses, which did get a bit boring last night.