Time for one of the judges to stand up & be counted

After the ridiculous situation with two reasonable dancers being put into the DO, whilst the likes of Dave and Mark remaln in the competition, is it not now time for one of the judges to actually stand up and say that this is plain wrong and walk away ?

This competition is descending into a complete joke and the only way it can resurrect itself is if one of the judges votes with his, or her feet

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind one of the judges walking away...
    ... albeit, not for these, er, reasons.

(although in a way that probably wouldn't solve the problem at all... heh)
  • posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the judges used a range of scores appropriately, there wouldn't have been that much of a problem. Their ties (seriously, Susanna as good as Patrick?), the producers' strange maths and the voting public are pretty much equally to blame if you don't like the result.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the ridiculous situation with two reasonable dancers being put into the DO, whilst the likes of Dave and Mark remaln in the competition, is it not now time for one of the judges to actually stand up and say that this is plain wrong and walk away ?

This competition is descending into a complete joke and the only way it can resurrect itself is if one of the judges votes with his, or her feet

What makes you think its wrong ? The public vote for who they like watching , its really that simple .
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean it'd be hilarious, but I'm not sure what the point would be.
  • jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Why should a judge walk off?
    The program is an entertainment show that is why the public are asked to vote for their favourite couple.
    If Strictly was a dance competition then there would be no public vote and the judges scores would be final.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of the appeal of this show in the early stages, is that the popular contestants who may not be as good, do well at the expense of some other slightly better but average dancers.

It's structured for this to happen every year. Those who appear aren't picked at random.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone seems to be forgetting that Strictly isn't a serious dance competition, it's a light entertainment show :)
  • tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Doghouse says ... :)

Happens every year, better ones get voted off before comedy acts and DS goes into meltdown.

Fear not, Dave will get voted to soon and none of the people who are voted off before him would have won.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The judges don't need to leave, it's the voters after all that are keeping Dave there not the judges. The public can put a person higher on the leader board into the bottom 2, so the judges, while don't help with silly scoring, don't make that decision of who actually goes into the BT. We do by our overwhelming urge to keep a comedy act in.

Dave will surive until the decison to save him or a really good dancer comes along. Right now we still have some dancers that, even though better than him, aren't necesarily deemed as really good, so some public might think they can still be sacrificed in the name of entertainment before him until the public realise they may not want to see him in the quarters or semis after all, let alone in the final doing a showdance. I wouldn't be suprised if he outlasted Fiona, Patrick and Ben, maybe even Sophie if she doesn't wake up and smell the Latin.
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, I think Mark is better than Rachel was.
    Rachel was never going to make a dancer.
    Mark isn't nearly as good a dancer as Natalie or Abbey but is still better than Rachel.

EDIT: Besides, so-called comedy contestants get through every year until the latter stages of the competition but they don't win. (Ann Widdecombe and Russell Grant, among others.)
  • Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    Mark isn't nearly as good a dancer as Natalie or Abbey but is still better than Rachel.

I agree
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a hoot! I notice this is your first post. Now confess, you are just trying to stir things up, aren't you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can definitely see one of the judges opting to walk away from their massive SCD paycheque over this.

Definitely.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,600
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    What makes you think its wrong ? The public vote for who they like watching , its really that simple .

Impossible to do with the current voting system. No voter is going to vote for 9 people who they think they want to see more of - when there's one they think should go.Under this system, you can go with a vast majority of people wanting you to stay - if they don't vote or vote for one of their other favourites.

Many of the people voting for Dave are almost certainly not voting for who they want to see more of. On past evidence they are voting for whoever is last in the scoreboard order. The Dave's are often most at risk the weeks they don't come last - because that vote historically melts away elsewhere. The judges know that the hopeless candidates who become immoveable are vulnerable when they are praised - rather than when its pointed out how bad they are. Similarily, the voting shows quite clearly that many people vote for people they want to see stay only when those people look clearly in danger on the scoreboard. The rebound vote is an established phenomena. The middle ground has long been dangerous territory. Rachel hit the bottom two overall in a week when she should have been safe on her marks, escaped it when she was in the bottom two markwise, and went when she did even better with the judges marks. Deborah wasn't in the bottom two in her weakest week, and went after her strongest dance - as did Rachel.

Who goes has nothing much to do with performance, improvement, or the number of people wanting to see you next week.
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that some people are forgetting that this is just telly and taking it far too seriously.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    I can definitely see one of the judges opting to walk away from their massive SCD paycheque over this.

Definitely.

:D:D:D:D
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Definitely.

Exactly my first thought too!
  • jwren12002jwren12002 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I personally think head judge should walk away, but not for the original posters reason. Len's scores seem to have little to do with technical ability and more on whether he enjoyed the dance (when it suits him). I'm sure other people will be able to tell exact scores, but from my recollection I think his scores have been overall higher than Bruno's - I used to think they scored pretty similar. For a "head judge" I would expect lower scores as I thought he should be stricter.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwren12002 wrote: »
    I personally think head judge should walk away, but not for the original posters reason. Len's scores seem to have little to do with technical ability and more on whether he enjoyed the dance (when it suits him). I'm sure other people will be able to tell exact scores, but from my recollection I think his scores have been overall higher than Bruno's - I used to think they scored pretty similar. For a "head judge" I would expect lower scores as I thought he should be stricter.

I see the problem as, that the judges are now of the opinion that they are there more for their personal and entertainment appeal, than any useful function they perform.
    Each one tries to out-do the others to be the centre of attention. Being, or saying something controversial is a good way to achieve this.

They know the BBC don't care how consistent is their marking, or whether they have favourites.
    They aren't going to get marked on their performance like a football referee.

The BBC would argue that the ratings say the show ain't broke, so they aren't going to fix it.
  • lougarrylougarry Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Nah, remember John Sargent? It became a battle. The judges criticised the public for voting for him. The public then got bolshie and voted for him in greater numbers. The judges have learned that the best tactic is to smile tolerantly, talk about what 'great entertainment' the crap dancer provides and wait for people to lose interest.
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    All the time they are being paid good money to be a judge, there will be no walking out. Would you walk away from a job because you felt it was unjust?
  • Bouzouki BoyBouzouki Boy Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's getting to be a bit like the Generation Game really. Didn't Bruce present that one too?
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memmh wrote: »

EDIT: Besides, so-called comedy contestants get through every year until the latter stages of the competition but they don't win. (Ann Widdecombe and Russell Grant, among others.)

Indeed. Mark scored better than Rachel a number of times.

This was probably Rachel's best week and maybe Mark's worst. Last week Mark was better than Rachel...this week Rachel was better than Mark.

If Mark and Rachel had been the bottom two last week... nobody woud have batted an eye at Mark being saved over Rachel.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also bet that if the moaners found some "comedy" personality they liked was in, they would be voting for that person to stay in. It has been true right from the start - remember Kaplinsky against some EE actor with two left feet in the final?

It is also worth bearing in mind that most of these people take part to raise or rejuvenate their profile (just less obviously than in the jungle). Whom do we remember from previous series - more "comedy acts" than good dancers. Ironically, it was probably part of Kaplinsky getting full of herself and chucked out of the BBC!

I notice also that this argument starts when young women get voted off - maybe the studes, who pull their chains in the afternoons, are down the pub on a Saturday and don't vote for them? :rolleyes:
  • IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why Mark is being included - he is very good. Great rhythm and puts perfect character into the dances.

Dave, yeah, OK. If he is not gone next, then we could have a situation. Even he might not be comfortable with being kept in during the nitty gritty as the joke candidate.